General Question Flea/Tick/Heartworm preventative?

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
So with our last bulldog, the topical treatments never seemed to work and we luckily never had a major problem with fleas or ticks despite living on a heavily wooded lot. We generally spray the areas of our lot that Ellie Mae has access to once every couple of months and our vet has been using Advantage with her. Well, I've pulled probably 5 ticks off of her over the last month and a half or 2. Thankfully, they've all been small, but it doesn't seem like the topical stuff, or at least Advantage, is getting the job done. We go to the vet on Saturday for round 3 of her shots and I have this issue save on my phone to ask about, but any suggestions from you guys?

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We use Sentinel for heartworms and it works for fleas too, but it does not work for ticks, but we have never had a problem with ticks, so I'm not any help there.

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
We went to the vet last week, they said sentinel was on back order. So we asked for interceptor, same thing. They said there was an issue with a drug for people, so all other meds are on the back burner until they get caught back up.

We ended up getting trifexis, but unfortunately the packaging doesn't indicate it's for ticks.

I will tell you we normally use Sentinel, but two years ago when the neighbors dog gave Pan fleas and he had an allergic reaction, our vet switched him to interceptor.

With sentinel, the life cycle gets interrupted. With interceptor, it kills them when they bite. At least with the fleas, not sure about how it effects ticks. So we wanted to limit the bites.

I will tell you they have a vaccine for ticks. We opted for it this year because the ticks are suppose to be really bad this year. And we live in deer tick heaven.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I was giving Interceptor, but like [MENTION=2879]PeterPanAndWendy[/MENTION] said, the manufacturer has it on hold :cursing: The vet recommended Heartgard, but I'm dragging my butt on making a decision, but will probably go with this. As for flea and ticks...we don't give anything. I know I don't like the topical stuff and I didn't get them vaccined for lyme as they don't really go outside. I check them over when they come in. I wish I was more help.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.