General Question Rocky has hives!!!

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
:shout: So everything was normal this morning, Rocky had breakfast and i let him out, when he got back in, we noticed he was kind of freaking out, trying to scratch like if he got bit by something, we checked him didn't see anything, but he kept doing it, in a matter of seconds his belly got huge red bumps and he was just flipping out, i called the vet right away, and took him in, and yes he has hives, she said that he might have eating something or got bitten by an insect? and that's how it happened? they gave him 2 shots, Benadryl and Steroids i think, he's doing much better, but OMG it was just so sad to see him like that, here's a pic, and this one was 15 min after his shots so it gotten better in the pic, but it was way worse than that, now my question is, is this gonna happen often? and any of you know what could have caused this?

IMG_3081.jpg

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
like your vet said, it could be food allergies or environment like laying on grass or flea or insect bites. Benadryl is your friend, go buy a giant bottle of it. Watson get these from time to time. I just give him a bath and some benadryl. Make sure they don't scratch it until it becomes a hotspot.

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
I had a Shar-Pei many years ago. One day, she was let outside and laid on an ant hill. She was a giant hive! She too had to get shots to calm it. Vet said allergy to ant bites. I spent so much time and money getting rid of those pesky little boogers so she could play in the yard. Benadryl was a must have for her. She lived 13 long years and I really think she sent me my Zoey so every little ant crunch was worth it :D

Texkota

Jun 21, 2012
South Riding, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Renzo
I had a Shar-Pei many years ago. One day, she was let outside and laid on an ant hill. She was a giant hive! She too had to get shots to calm it. Vet said allergy to ant bites. I spent so much time and money getting rid of those pesky little boogers so she could play in the yard. Benadryl was a must have for her. She lived 13 long years and I really think she sent me my Zoey so every little ant crunch was worth it :D

I was thinking ants myself.

OP
BulldogMom31

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
I was thinking ants myself.
I asked the vet about ants, she said no, it didn't look like that's what did it, so if he ate something, it could cause this too? we usually give him plain yogurt, but last night my hubby gave him vainilla flavor, could that have done it? but then again he was outside this morning when he came in trying to scratch himself! ahhhhh i dunno :(

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
I wonder...if it is a reaction to something he ate, would he just have them on his belly? I would about bet my dilapidated farm that he was bitten by something. I treated my yard with a pooch friendly insect repellant when this happened to me. Poor Rocky. Hope he feels better soon! He is absolutely adorable by the way!

OP
BulldogMom31

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
I wonder...if it is a reaction to something he ate, would he just have them on his belly? I would about bet my dilapidated farm that he was bitten by something. I treated my yard with a pooch friendly insect repellant when this happened to me. Poor Rocky. Hope he feels better soon! He is absolutely adorable by the way!

Thank you so much, we just moved to a new house, and i have noticed wasps out there, and he's always trying to catch them and go after them lol, so you never know, i agree with you don't think is a food reaction, i will just treat my yard, and make sure i get rid of any wasps, he is feeling much better after he got the shots, poor baby :( thanks for your help :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
More than likely something bit him or he got into something outside that didn't agree with him, if nothing food related has not changed. Just keep Benadryl handy for the next time.

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Yup that happens to Lily every once & awhile.
One time I let her outside and something bit her on her belly and oh boy did she have a reaction!
Had to take a trip to the ER vet.
But Benadryl does help alot. I always make sure I have plenty in the house at all time just in case!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Each of my dogs has had hives at least once and I never found out what caused it but like everyone says keep Benadryl handy. You never know what kind of insects are going to bite them. Flying or crawling. Food and treats are also culprits.

OP
BulldogMom31

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
are they supposed to be gone soon? it's been more than 24 hours, they look better but not all gone! and the vet didn't give anything to apply to them, guess they would dissapear on their own? i'm still giving him benadryl tho as the vet told me to do for 3 days.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.