Help Needed! Zoey is sick

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Hi again all. In my other posts, I described putting Zoey on a home cooked diet. She has done very well with this for over a week. However, today she is throwing up. She has thrown up about 6 times this morning. Her poo this morning was also mostly undigested food. She is drinking still. Is this a vet trip? Should I just stop the home cooked diet? I am so confused and feel just awful for her. What do I do???

Heidi (Zoey1974)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If she is still drinking I would fast her for a day and let her stomach settle. What does your home cooking contain?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
On my 1st bully so will leave this to the wonderful experts here.

Wanted to say that y'all will be in my prayers for the cause and quick
solution.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As long as she is still drinking I would just give her a bland diet to day and see if that helps, if not a vet visit should be in order. Hope she get to feeling better soon. Poor baby girl.

OP
Zoey1974

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Thank you all. I feel just awful for her. I have been giving her a mix of beef, carrots, peas, and pumpkin this week. I thought she was doing so well as she stopped licking her paws and her face is clearing up beautifully. I'm thinking Fromm is in order after she feels better? I just want to get this right :pray:

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Thank you all. I feel just awful for her. I have been giving her a mix of beef, carrots, peas, and pumpkin this week. I thought she was doing so well as she stopped licking her paws and her face is clearing up beautifully. I'm thinking Fromm is in order after she feels better? I just want to get this right :pray:

you will don't worry.. I hate when they throw up too but I agree if she is still drinking to wait a little bit if still no better or starts to throw up more often I would call the vet..
Duke was very sick with a stomach bug a few weeks ago.. i usually rush him to the vet I waited a day and by the next day he was ok.. Hope she and you feel better soon !:heart:

OP
Zoey1974

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
She is sleeping peacefully at my feet now while I work. I am blessed enough to be able to work from home so I am with her 24/7. She hasn't had a drink for over an hour though. I will keep eagle eyes on her.

brynn81

Apr 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
Throwing up 6 times in the morning is quite a bit.....how much did you feed her and what did you cook her? How is she throwing up and pooping out undigested food? I agree make sure she is drinking but the throwing up so many times scares me. Is she eating really fast. I have had slow feed bowls for all my bullies because they had inhaled their food. Also she may have an allergy that is why I am wondering what you are cooking?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
here's my opinion, smaller meals, she may be eating too much food. I see you have no carbs in her diet. how about a bit of cooked oatmeal to that meal. about 25% of the meal. so if she is getting 1 cup of food, 1/4 of that cup should be cooled cooked oatmeal, or maybe ever a cooked rice or potato, those are carbs also. she has no bone in the diet, so a carb should be in it's place. a tablespoon of pumpkin on top of that, and just might be in business. Let me know if you try this and how it's working. Keep me posted,

Sherry

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis

She IS doing well and you ARE doing it right. This sounds more like a bug to me than anything food related, especially since it's coming back out looking the same as it went in. Until her stomach settles down, I would stop the beef and just do some ground turkey and rice for a couple of days. Turkey will be easier on the stomach and easier to digest than the beef.

Is she still drinking normally? How is her appetite? Does she still seem interested in food? I would also give her some pedialyte to replenish the electrolytes she is losing from being sick. If she isn't better by tomorrow I would take her to the doctor for a cerenia prescription.

OP
Zoey1974

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
She does inhale her food in less than a minute flat. I don't give her any carbs as I was worried about a grain or rice allergy and wanted to keep her on the basics. Is oatmeal better for allergy dogs? I made her a scrambled egg for lunch and so far knock on wood she has kept that down. Maybe I was doing too many veggies in her diet? She still acts like she wants to eat and gave me sad eyes after her egg was gone. She follows me into the kitchen and woofs each time I walk through there so she does want to eat. I will go get her the Pedialyte right now. I really am wondering if I should just go get a bag of high quality kibble and transition. Her itchies were doing much better, but she was just licking her paws a few minutes ago. Thank you all so much for the input. Zoey's belly thanks you too!!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I really am wondering if I should just go get a bag of high quality kibble and transition. Her itchies were doing much better, but she was just licking her paws a few minutes ago.

You need to do what you feel comfortable doing. None of us her can tell you how to feed your girl because no one way is the right way. As much as I would love to tell you to keep cooking for her, it's the right thing to do because it works for me... there are others who will tell you raw is the right thing to do, or TOTW is right, or Fromm is right.

She could be sick from eating too fast. She could be sick from a GI bug. Maybe it is the beef making her throw up. Might be it's the peas. She might be licking her paws because she's nervous. Maybe she's bored. Maybe they just itch.

Whatever you do, you have to give it more than a weeks time.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.