Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Please help Mr Brutie

Oh my poor bully!...he's gotten a few, very few, fleas on him and I gave him a flea bath tonight, dried him really well and put him in his kennel as he was tired and we weren't ready for bed. Just let him out as he'd had a lot of ice water just before kenneling, when I let him out, he'd rubbed hand size raw spot (bleeding) against his rubber pad. I'm sure it's because I'd let him eat the bun that came w/double burger he got(1st treat like that) that Dad got from hataBurger...I almost held the bread(will now) because I suspected
    a grain allergy. I cleaned the area & applied Neosporin, going to the Vet to get the flea pill tomorrow as well different kibble-he's been progressing in itchiness & sneezes when he goes potty outside. He's got dime sized spots where hair has thinned out, on top of back, no sores or scabs. He's been on grain free kibble a month but these thinning spots are worse not better. I've also had him on a TBSP of coconut oil daily, no dairy.

I feel bad-Texas Carol
    Last edited by JeannieCO; 07-27-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: text fix

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Please help Mr Brutie

Oh poor boy! No wisdom here, but usually these skin problems are food related. Even if the kibble is top quality it may not be suitable. Maybe the protein source is causing it? Just quessing, maybe the vet can find out. Unfortunately vets don't know much about nutrition and some of the allergenic kibble that they push have feathers in them amongst other yacky stuff.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

@RiiSi...thank you for replying and I agree w/you about the Vets lack of nutrition
    knowledge, mostly coming from the big pet food companies
    , I'm taking Mr Brutie
    for the pill that kills fleas immediately and works for 30 days, it also helps w/itching.
    Can't think of it's name, begins w/a C...then I'm searching for a chemical free flea
    protection, I won't use any chemicals since my cat almost died from Frontline, I just
    can't do it. Also, I'm concerned about his right eye, the middle looks cloudy (at certain
    angles) and I'm wondering if he has a cataract? I've needed to take him in for a general
    exam since I got him a month ago...my Hubby just got off tonight and can take us in.

Since finding EBN and all y'all great members
    I am educating myself on good foods for
    him. Avoderm has a grainfree that I'm going to check out tomorrow, it advertises it's great
    for skin issues but I'm also picking up @desertskybulldogs homemade diet ingredients and
    feed him that and use Avoderm as backup (if it works for him).

I gave him his Claritin (may change that too as it may be ineffective) and he's sleeping
    with Dad right now. I'm still upset that I gave him the bread so can't sleep but I'm often
    up early am, due to pain issues, anyways-
    Give Usko love from us! Texas Carol & Mr Brutie

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Kevin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Renzo
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Oh how I hate them fleas, sounds like you are getting under control though.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice ~ Neil Peart

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

No help here but dont beat yourself up about the bread. There are worse things he could have gotten. Poor Miila has allergies like crazy and I think until my skin babies are bigger and stop sharing their foods we will never get hers under control. She does a GREAT clean up in the kitchen and my 1 year old LOVES to share. ugh.... Hopefully the food will help and I am sure once the fleas are gone for good that will help as well. Maybe he was just scratching from the fleas?

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I'm wondering..has he had any skin scrapings? Or tests for mites..etc? Might be worth it to ask vet for this. Poor baby!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh sweet Mr Brutie!!! He sounds miserable!! You may want to ask about a blood allergy test while you are there. Trying the home cooked meal will likely help because you know exactly what he is eating versus kibble, but he may also need antibiotics if he has progressed into a skin infection.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

Arnold's coat is almost always beautiful with no allergies noted yet (cross fingers, legs, etc). However, when our weather started getting warm here in Spokane and the flowers started blooming, I noticed bald spots on Arnold with grey, dry, half dollar sizes. Some areas were closed and intact, others were scabbed. I worried about a snack change, mange, etc but eventually determined environmental allergies since it was spring. So we did the easiest thing possible first, an oatmeal bath (suggested by either cowsmom or vicaroo1000). It did wonders within 24 hours. Maybe you could attach a picture of area?

I'm a good girl, I promise

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

I hope Mr. Brutie gets well soon. It's so stressful when our babies are suffering.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Responding to all replies posted to my cry for help, a very heartfelt 'Thank You'
    from me and Mr Brutie. I was just freaked and all y'all help to calm me and made
    me feel a little better about feeding him those greasy buns, I very much try to only
    feed healthy snacks! I do believe his problems are from grasses and itchy reactions
    from flea bites. He doesn't have many but it only takes ONE bite if allergic so he's
    getting Benadryl & going on Comfortis, will let y'all know how he responds, I did bathe
    him, sprayed him w/Cortisone & gave him a Claritin (no Benadryl on hand but getting
    some & put Neosporin on his raw butt then put him to bed w/his Dad.

This after I put in him in Dad's tidy whiteys to protect his hiney, hilarious! BTW, am
    hoping to get an i-phone this weekend, it's killing me not being able to share him w/y'all.

Again, your replies comforted me and I feel blessed to have found THIS SITE to join. C.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Now I got to see pictures of Brutie in dad's tidy whities! You'll love the iPhone. It's very user friendly in my opinion. If only my eyes wouldn't get tired so quickly from being on my iPad or PC. Hopefully the next iPhone screen will be a bit bigger. I like to keep up with EBN and my podcasts (Leo Laporte, the tech guy) even while I'm walking my dogs.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

Just remember, he can be allergic to even the best foods. One of the few that contains none of our guy's allergens that we know of is Meadowfeast from Earthborn hollistics, I can't recommend an allergy panel enough. Even the best grain free food could have things he is allergic to. Our bully is allergic to white potato, which is in a lot of grain free foods including Fromm which was recommended to me and I almost tried it before the panel and glad I didn't. I would have spent a lot of money on food he would have been allergic to. Good luck!

Remove Ads