Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh my poor bully!...he's gotten a few, very few, fleas on him and I gave him a flea bath tonight, dried him really well and put him in his kennel as he was tired and we weren't ready for bed. Just let him out as he'd had a lot of ice water just before kenneling, when I let him out, he'd rubbed hand size raw spot (bleeding) against his rubber pad. I'm sure it's because I'd let him eat the bun that came w/double burger he got(1st treat like that) that Dad got from hataBurger...I almost held the bread(will now) because I suspected
a grain allergy. I cleaned the area & applied Neosporin, going to the Vet to get the flea pill tomorrow as well different kibble-he's been progressing in itchiness & sneezes when he goes potty outside. He's got dime sized spots where hair has thinned out, on top of back, no sores or scabs. He's been on grain free kibble a month but these thinning spots are worse not better. I've also had him on a TBSP of coconut oil daily, no dairy.

I feel bad-Texas Carol

Last edited by a moderator:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Oh poor boy! No wisdom here, but usually these skin problems are food related. Even if the kibble is top quality it may not be suitable. Maybe the protein source is causing it? Just quessing, maybe the vet can find out. Unfortunately vets don't know much about nutrition and some of the allergenic kibble that they push have feathers in them amongst other yacky stuff.

OP
Texas Carol

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]...thank you for replying and I agree w/you about the Vets lack of nutrition
knowledge, mostly coming from the big pet food companies
:eek:, I'm taking Mr Brutie
for the pill that kills fleas immediately and works for 30 days, it also helps w/itching.
Can't think of it's name, begins w/a C...then I'm searching for a chemical free flea
protection, I won't use any chemicals since my cat almost died from Frontline, I just
can't do it. Also, I'm concerned about his right eye, the middle looks cloudy (at certain
angles) and I'm wondering if he has a cataract? I've needed to take him in for a general
exam since I got him a month ago...my Hubby just got off tonight and can take us in.

Since finding EBN and all y'all great members
:heart: I am educating myself on good foods for
him. Avoderm has a grainfree that I'm going to check out tomorrow, it advertises it's great
for skin issues but I'm also picking up [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] homemade diet ingredients and
feed him that and use Avoderm as backup (if it works for him).

I gave him his Claritin (may change that too as it may be ineffective) and he's sleeping
with Dad right now. I'm still upset that I gave him the bread so can't sleep but I'm often
up early am, due to pain issues, anyways-
Give Usko love from us! Texas Carol & Mr Brutie

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No help here but dont beat yourself up about the bread. There are worse things he could have gotten. Poor Miila has allergies like crazy and I think until my skin babies are bigger and stop sharing their foods we will never get hers under control. She does a GREAT clean up in the kitchen and my 1 year old LOVES to share. ugh.... Hopefully the food will help and I am sure once the fleas are gone for good that will help as well. Maybe he was just scratching from the fleas?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh sweet Mr Brutie!!! He sounds miserable!! You may want to ask about a blood allergy test while you are there. Trying the home cooked meal will likely help because you know exactly what he is eating versus kibble, but he may also need antibiotics if he has progressed into a skin infection.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Arnold's coat is almost always beautiful with no allergies noted yet (cross fingers, legs, etc). However, when our weather started getting warm here in Spokane and the flowers started blooming, I noticed bald spots on Arnold with grey, dry, half dollar sizes. Some areas were closed and intact, others were scabbed. I worried about a snack change, mange, etc but eventually determined environmental allergies since it was spring. So we did the easiest thing possible first, an oatmeal bath (suggested by either cowsmom or vicaroo1000). It did wonders within 24 hours. Maybe you could attach a picture of area?

OP
Texas Carol

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Responding to all replies posted to my cry for help, a very heartfelt 'Thank You'
from me and Mr Brutie. I was just freaked and all y'all help to calm me and made
me feel a little better about feeding him those greasy buns, I very much try to only
feed healthy snacks! I do believe his problems are from grasses and itchy reactions
from flea bites. He doesn't have many but it only takes ONE bite if allergic so he's
getting Benadryl & going on Comfortis, will let y'all know how he responds, I did bathe
him, sprayed him w/Cortisone & gave him a Claritin (no Benadryl on hand but getting
some & put Neosporin on his raw butt then put him to bed w/his Dad.

This after I put in him in Dad's tidy whiteys to protect his hiney, hilarious! BTW, am
hoping to get an i-phone this weekend, it's killing me not being able to share him w/y'all.

Again, your replies comforted me and I feel blessed to have found THIS SITE to join. C.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Now I got to see pictures of Brutie in dad's tidy whities! You'll love the iPhone. It's very user friendly in my opinion. If only my eyes wouldn't get tired so quickly from being on my iPad or PC. Hopefully the next iPhone screen will be a bit bigger. I like to keep up with EBN and my podcasts (Leo Laporte, the tech guy) even while I'm walking my dogs.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Just remember, he can be allergic to even the best foods. One of the few that contains none of our guy's allergens that we know of is Meadowfeast from Earthborn hollistics, I can't recommend an allergy panel enough. Even the best grain free food could have things he is allergic to. Our bully is allergic to white potato, which is in a lot of grain free foods including Fromm which was recommended to me and I almost tried it before the panel and glad I didn't. I would have spent a lot of money on food he would have been allergic to. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.