General Question What age to nueter?

Walter323

Jun 11, 2012
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Walter is 4 months old and just got back from the vet and they said he could be nuetered any time now. I was just wondering about any opinions for when to have this done.
Thanks in advance for any advice

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
I thought they liked to wait until they were at least 6 months old?

Is he marking all over the place? If not I think I would wait until lat least 6 months.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our vet always recommends waiting until they are 18 months, so that's what I do. Some peeps do it at 6 months. Me personally I'd wait unless he is giving you issues. Bullies don't fully develop until 2 years of age.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I don't know the right age but, We adopted Vegas when he was 4.5 months old and he was already neutered. It did not stunt his growth as some people think. He is a nice size bully (60 lbs at 3 yrs old) with a nice head.

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Just keep Walters nuts away from my precious Lulu and alllllllllllllll will be good.

hahahaha

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I have heard 6 months and 18 months. Watson was neutered at 8 months because he was starting to mark and he didn't back down to the big male dogs at the dog park. otherwise I would have waited a little longer until he fully matured. He may never fully developed as far as width of head and chest to his potential but I looked at him at 8 months and felt he looked wide enough. So off he went for a little snip snip.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka is 6 months, was in time out at daycare 3 times just TODAY for mounting, marks all sorts of things ( though he has only tried to lift his leg once and fell over lol), does not back down to anything, and is 44 lbs already so... He is off to be neutered this Friday!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343267218.873068.jpg
I think he may be a little depressed about it..lol

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We wanted to wait until Linus got to about 50-55lb .... but then he started to get a bit too territorial and bouncing off the walls. It was driving the other dogs totally crazy, so we got him booked in and by coincidence he was about 50lb at the time.

Did it stop him bouncing off the walls, acting like a lunatic and play attacking all the other dogs, making their lives misery ...erm ....NO .... :blink: :p

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
We wanted to wait until Linus got to about 50-55lb .... but then he started to get a bit too territorial and bouncing off the walls. It was driving the other dogs totally crazy, so we got him booked in and by coincidence he was about 50lb at the time.

Did it stop him bouncing off the walls, acting like a lunatic and play attacking all the other dogs, making their lives misery ...erm ....NO .... :blink: :p

yeah, same here, he is still the same bully after getting neutering

OP
Walter323

Walter323

Jun 11, 2012
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Thank you all for the advise and input. I was a little surprised when the vet said that today, I had kind of figured 6 months at the earliest also. He hasnt started marking at all and is in general well behaved, other than what we call his "devil dog" hour each night when he is full of all kinds of energy.

On a side note, Walter has met all kinds of other dogs of all sizes but the smaller/medium dogs (basset, ****-zu, yourkee) just bark at him and the large dogs( labs, poodles, rots) all play and have no problem. Wtf?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I've been researching this issue a lot and quite a few brave Vets are now
reccm'ding doing this upon the breed's maturity (which varies), I believe
for English Bulldogs it's 2 yrs old. IF you can, that would be best so bone
development would be optimal. Of course, being territorial and marking
are difficult to deal with too but I'd wait as long as possible. It's appalling
the extremely young ages that are being spayed/neutered...babies really!

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
We had everything absolutely ready for neutering Ulysses a couple of weeks ago. The date was set, the appointment ready and we were all mentally good to go (except for him of course ;)) We made or minds up about it because we had a problem with what we thought it was a prolapsed urethra. The day before the surgery he began having diarrhea, and all and all he didn't seem to be 100% OK so the vet decided not to do it. We sat down and she told us that although he was sick from his privates (blood coming out) she believed it was really only related to his constant excitement during that month due to the fact that our neighbors' dog was in heat, so his prostate enlarged for a couple of days causing him to bleed a little and have a swollen pecker, but that he seemed perfectly healthy and fine now so she actually recommend it us to wait until at least 18 months when his bones are fully developed. So after a lot of consideration we decided to wait, I must say I was kind of skeptic but she was the 4th(!!!) Vet that recommended us to wait. So we are now waiting and we have not had any issues with his prostate again or with him being aggressive. The ocasional humping and trying to mount other dogs I guess is kind of unavoidable, my friend's bully its Ulysses' same age (1 year as of last week) and neutered, and he tries to hump every dog around (male or female) so I guess is mostly a behavioral thing that you have to correct by training rather than just neutering.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.