Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What age to nueter?

Lily was 5 1/2 months when we had her done.

Real Name
    Frank
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bongo
    Likes (Received)

18-24 months is what my vet says

Sent from my iPad
    Frank & Bongo
    Thanks,
    Frank & Bongo

Real Name
    Maia
    Country
    Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ulysses
    Likes (Received)

We had everything absolutely ready for neutering Ulysses a couple of weeks ago. The date was set, the appointment ready and we were all mentally good to go (except for him of course ) We made or minds up about it because we had a problem with what we thought it was a prolapsed urethra. The day before the surgery he began having diarrhea, and all and all he didn't seem to be 100% OK so the vet decided not to do it. We sat down and she told us that although he was sick from his privates (blood coming out) she believed it was really only related to his constant excitement during that month due to the fact that our neighbors' dog was in heat, so his prostate enlarged for a couple of days causing him to bleed a little and have a swollen pecker, but that he seemed perfectly healthy and fine now so she actually recommend it us to wait until at least 18 months when his bones are fully developed. So after a lot of consideration we decided to wait, I must say I was kind of skeptic but she was the 4th(!!!) Vet that recommended us to wait. So we are now waiting and we have not had any issues with his prostate again or with him being aggressive. The ocasional humping and trying to mount other dogs I guess is kind of unavoidable, my friend's bully its Ulysses' same age (1 year as of last week) and neutered, and he tries to hump every dog around (male or female) so I guess is mostly a behavioral thing that you have to correct by training rather than just neutering.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

@Maife...good on you! It is sometimes difficult, due to certain behavioral issues in certain
    Bullies to wait until 18 months but I believe now as do a growing number of Vets, it is best
    for the dogs, male or female. Bullies are still developing, they need their hormones balanced,
    they need optimal bone development, internal bone growth, not so much outer size growth.

Bone cancers are on the rise, some Vets are now thinking it is because of too EARLY spays
    and neuters, before the animals hormones and bone development have fully finished their jobs.

I urge everyone to research this subject and decide for themselves...many issues may be a
    result of too early spay/neuters...failure to housebreak totally (maybe initially but not later on),
    aggression due to immaturity, same issue-immaturity, causing disobedience and as I say, diseases
    such as bone cancers, etc...all because we didn't let our pets mature & develop naturally because
    it's inconvenient for us. I was ignorant of this myself and did what my vets suggested but when
    they started doing so at 3 & 4 months and now, even earlier...BABIES, I started looking into it.
    I'm convinced it is detrimental to our pet's health and any puppies I'm lucky enough to own, will be
    'fixed' accordingly to the breed's maturity-Bulldogs, 18 to 24 months. Carol

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

And here I was feeling bad for not having tank neutered yet. Good to see that the going age of recommendation is 18-24 months. Good to see I stil have a ways to go. I'm not having behavioral issues other than when I took him to park and during play he wanted to mount. The first couple weeks we had him we used a belly band cus he was marking in the house, but he isn't doing that anymore..my baby <3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads