URGENT!!! Question about eye and skin! Help!

318bud

May 26, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda
Bad news :(
My puppy got a scratch on her eye, its not literally a scratch but the vet pointed out the dullness of the center of her eyeball. She's wearing an e collar and I feel really bad for her. Its going on the 3rd week now on eyedrop antibiotic(tobramycin ophthalmic solution)as well as eyedrop painkiller and its still not better.
Has this happened to anyone else and how long does it take to heal??? I'm getting worried

And now on her neck its pink and and kinda green and it stinks REALLY bad. I was thinking the collar could be irritating the area but idk?? The past couple days I've been feeding her small amount of people food for the first time. Peporoni and sausage and fruit so maybe its a reaction. Someone please acknowledge me on what it could be and how to clean/cure it.

Thank you, I want my puppy normal again!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:eek: pepperoni and sausage? Ummm..Noooooooo.....that's not even good for you..but it's horrible for your pup! How old is she? I'll tag a few people who might be able to help with the eye problem..but please..if you want a healthy Bully..make sure you feed her a high quality DOG food...

@desertskybulldogs. ..@Sherry. ..@BruceP. ...[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]

OP

318bud

May 26, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda
Well it was only like a bite of each but still. She is 4 months old and she is doing awesome on totw puppy formula. Thank you i really appreciate it

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

[MENTION=4980]318bud[/MENTION]...our pets depend on us to feed them so do your job as a responsible pet
owner as to WHAT to feed an English Bulldog-it's not pepperoni or sausage and not
all fruits or vegetables are good, for example, raisins and grapes are poison to them.
Google 'dogs and poisonous foods' to avoid them.

Smelling bad and 'green colored' sounds like infection- go back to the Vet, your Bully
might need oral antibiotics, the sooner the better. How did the eye get scratched, if
outside, keep your bully from running around any shrubs, etc. These things can happen
to any of us, be informed about your breed of dog, be alert to danger & keep us informed
on the outcome (oh, make sure your collar isn't too tight or has a rough edge). TX Carol

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i think id take that collar off till the neck clears up and maybe limited use afterward. pink and green and stinking. maybe put some peroxide on it and some neosporin. might need a vet visit for anti biotics. no people food till it clears up or afterward unless its approved fruits. im not good with the eyes sorry i would think check back with the vet it no improvement on it.

OP

318bud

May 26, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda
Do you think the irratation could be from a tight e-collar? Well the vet thinks that she scratched herself :/

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
How tight is the collar? It really doesnt need to be tight at all, just not loose. If that makes sense. Miila scratched her eye after getting spayed and she wore a cone for a few weeks also. Never had a problem with smell or staining tho. I would take it off for a little bit while supervised and clean the neck as best as you can with baby wipes and maybe some malaket type of wipes as well. Is there a wound/scratch or something where the cone sits maybe? Or maybe she just got into something that spilled and sat there and is now getting nasty dirty? I would think being just an eye scratch you could even bath her if you are very careful to avoid the face. If there is no wound then I would assume she must be dirty somehow and then the cone should also be washed as well. As for the eye itself I dont know. I do know the vet said they can go either way pretty fast. You said it has been 3 weeks, have you gone back in that time? I think we found the scratch and if my memory is right we went back a week or 2 at most later and it healed up. Think we then left the cone on a bit longer to ensure it healed completely but it was good that fast. If you havent been in 3 weeks I would def go back and have it checked. This vet said they can get ugly as fast as they can heal so I wouldnt mess around with it. Now as far as the food goes..... peperoni although a yummy snack is never a good idea to give a bully, especially with their sensitive tummys. Being so young and you are new to her I am sure you didnt notice but the slightest things can give the most HORRID gas and :poo: Honestly mine think frozen green beans and carrots are as good as what we would think of pepperoni. If you get her eating that stuff now you will be happier and she will be MUCH better off. They can eat almost any fruit or veggie we do. No onions, garlic, grapes or raisins tho. And in big amounts will create a disaster in the :poo: department as well. :lol: Like mine eat the apple peels from my girls apples. They all share 1 or 2 bananas between the 3 of them daily. On top of the carrots and green beans. All in moderation. Strawberries, blueberries etc. They love them all as if it was crack. Good luck with the eye and please let us know what is going on. I hope it isnt anything too serious. :( Oh and we love pics so please in the meantime get a postin. ;) Also if the cone seems to be wayyyy too big lengthwise for her like Miilas was, I found that trimming it as short as I could without breaking the integrity of the plastic clips worked well for her. She couldnt even drink water with that dang cone and it made me so sad for her. Oh and duct tape for when it starts falling apart. Hers didnt last long so we had to be ghetto and duct tape it to keep it closed. She was a crazy girl and broke the plastic pieces off that held it together. :lmao:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well it was only like a bite of each but still. She is 4 months old and she is doing awesome on totw puppy formula. Thank you i really appreciate it

Thats a great Puppy food! And good for you..its just that you give good food and then. People food will counteract that! Stick with her good food..good, healthy treats and both of you will be happier! ! :up;

brynn81

Apr 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
I would NOT take the collar off...for one I would rather a sore neck than her cut her eye out! I would just keep an eye on the neck...clean it good and maybe you could wrap something around it or maybe use band aids on it to give it some padding...but it is quite possible she scratched her neck as well...like you vet said. I would though possible look for a second opinion,..3 weeks and no sign of it getting better.something is going on...you feeding a tiny pepperoni or sausage has nothing to do with the eye issue...obviously the collar is keeping her from itching her eye...so the eye should be some what better. I would look into another vet. Sometimes it takes a few to find a good one. You are doing a great Job momma!!!! You are concerned and worried and want your baby better as you should be!!! :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Do you think the irratation could be from a tight e-collar? Well the vet thinks that she scratched herself :/
can you maybe take it off for a bit till the sore heals. she maybe just wanting the collar off and is scratching at it because of that. can it be loosened some i just dont want it rubbing the sore and making it worse is my concern. if you can keep it on and treat the sore then ok but if its rubbing the sore maybe loosen or take it off for a bit.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
At least take the collar off for a short period when she can be supervised,wash her neck and apply antiseptic,if it's green and smelly it's getting infected,keep a close eye on her neck secondary infections can come fast are are nasty,karen

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
If you do remove the collar make sure you are there and she cannot rub her eye. I had Miila in a soft cone after her spay, pallet and cherry eye surgery and I think that is how she scratched her eye, rubbing it with the soft cone. She does need to be coned to protect the eye for sure so I would remove it, clean the neck as necessary and then put the cone back on. Not tight at all just so it cannot be slipped off.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well let me tell you, if it's green and smelly the collar need to come OFF and wash and clean the area. If she has any sores there put Neoprene on them, if not then just dry it well. An infection there that could get septic is WAY worse than a scratched eye, so off with the collar until you can see what is going on with her neck. I would find an animal optometrist and take her there asap. Our little Jewel had eye surgery and the optometrist did not even give us a cone for her to wear, he told us just to watch her and keep her quiet for a few days and she is doing fine. Keep us posted on her progress.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
From my experience with the plastic cones, they need to be washed daily with antibacterial soap, the green color you are describing I think is the minerals in the water in combination of the bacteria and slobber from drinking, mixed with the plastic. This happened to me from not washing the cone for a couple of days and my boy has an extremely wrinkly 'turkey' neck, so the water from drinking got trapped in a pocket created by the cone closing up two wrinkles.

If it were me, I would remove the cone, clean it really good, and clean the neck area really good, try to keep it off if you can 100% supervise, like a good cuddle on the couch, only put it on when you cannot supervise.

I agree with above posters on going back to the vet to see if there has been any progress. Certain eye meds can make a scratch worse and not better, please let me know what eye med you are currently using. If it has any ingredients with a 'zone' at the end, (like hydrocortiZONE, predniZONE, ect) then you need to go see a new vet right away!!! Fire your other one, for sure!!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh sorry Matilda's going through this. I have to add that our bullies can be sensitive to the tiniest amount of food that they may be allergic to. My Stig would blow up in hives if he gets a bite of a milkbone cookie. I'm sure he'd be the same if he ate pepperoni.

And from your description, it does sound like she has an infection. It actually reminds me of [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] Tidus. She was unaware of an infection that he got from the kiddie pool after a rainstorm. It was probably the size of a quarter at first, but quickly grew to the size of your hand because it was untreated. So you do need to take care of them as quickly as possible.

Hopefully your sweet Matilda will get better real soon. :hug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online