Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about eye and skin! Help!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question about eye and skin! Help!

Well let me tell you, if it's green and smelly the collar need to come OFF and wash and clean the area. If she has any sores there put Neoprene on them, if not then just dry it well. An infection there that could get septic is WAY worse than a scratched eye, so off with the collar until you can see what is going on with her neck. I would find an animal optometrist and take her there asap. Our little Jewel had eye surgery and the optometrist did not even give us a cone for her to wear, he told us just to watch her and keep her quiet for a few days and she is doing fine. Keep us posted on her progress.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

From my experience with the plastic cones, they need to be washed daily with antibacterial soap, the green color you are describing I think is the minerals in the water in combination of the bacteria and slobber from drinking, mixed with the plastic. This happened to me from not washing the cone for a couple of days and my boy has an extremely wrinkly 'turkey' neck, so the water from drinking got trapped in a pocket created by the cone closing up two wrinkles.

If it were me, I would remove the cone, clean it really good, and clean the neck area really good, try to keep it off if you can 100% supervise, like a good cuddle on the couch, only put it on when you cannot supervise.

I agree with above posters on going back to the vet to see if there has been any progress. Certain eye meds can make a scratch worse and not better, please let me know what eye med you are currently using. If it has any ingredients with a 'zone' at the end, (like hydrocortiZONE, predniZONE, ect) then you need to go see a new vet right away!!! Fire your other one, for sure!!!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh sorry Matilda's going through this. I have to add that our bullies can be sensitive to the tiniest amount of food that they may be allergic to. My Stig would blow up in hives if he gets a bite of a milkbone cookie. I'm sure he'd be the same if he ate pepperoni.

And from your description, it does sound like she has an infection. It actually reminds me of @desertskybulldogs Tidus. She was unaware of an infection that he got from the kiddie pool after a rainstorm. It was probably the size of a quarter at first, but quickly grew to the size of your hand because it was untreated. So you do need to take care of them as quickly as possible.

Hopefully your sweet Matilda will get better real soon.
    Last edited by JeannieCO; 07-24-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: mention tag fix
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Hope Matilda gets better soon. If it was my dog would be taking the e-collar off too and keep an eye on her as it's definitely irritating her skin, pink irritated green skin = not good. Pepperoni = worse, lol. You have some very good experienced advice above. My Emma scratched her eye shortly after we got her and I took her to the vet. He had me put an eye gel in for lubrication. That worked really well for her. I know that's not the issue you have right now but just wanted to share that. 3 weeks seems like quite a long time, time to see another vet in my opinion.

to Matilda
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Three weeks is a long time and you should definitely have seen some improvement by now. I would certainly take her back to the vets to get that changed.

As for the e-collar .. if there is a green discharge and then it's a sign of infection! Take it off, do what desertskybulldogs mentioned and give it a good clean then clean the e-collar too. Whenever you can supervise 100% then keep the collar off. I personally hate those things ... and if there is a way to avoid using it then I do!!!

Good luck ... and if you are anyway concerned about that neck, try taking a photo of it and posting it on here. So much easier to comment when we can see what you are seeing!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Fiona
    Likes (Received)

I agree...I missed the green and smelling comment on your post....you do need to get that cleaned good....the vet says maybe a scratch..fine but needs to be cleaned and treated...with what I have heard I would seek another vet for sure!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Ok, to beat a dead horse, I'm going to say........ take the collar off. Take pictures of the eye and the neck. I'd really like to take at look at the seriousness. With that said, My American Bully Jack had a stick pierce his eye about a year ago. It took at least 3 months to heal and get back to good color. I thought it would stay white for ever. My vet has never put a collar on any of my dogs in the 34 years I've been going to him. No more junk food ...........please, it does give them belly ache.

Hope to see pictures of your new baby soon. @318bud
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog(s) Names
    Fiona
    Likes (Received)

I think the collar is because she is scratching her eyes... i would just be careful with the who taking off collar thing ....like others have said lay with her or maybe but socks on her.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

You have gotten some great advice above...If there is a sore in the collar are you need to remove it and just keep an eye to make sure she doesnt scratch. Hope everything gets better real soon
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda
    Likes (Received)

thank you everybody so much for the replies. 3 months for it to heal
    that does make me feel a little better though, 3 weeks is just pretty long to me
    I am definently going to get a second opinion and maybe even change vets because i want to find the perfect vet that i like as well

used some apple cidar venegar to clean her neck and worked great!! i think your right, some water just got stuck on her neck from the collar, causing a little infection.
    just waiting it out for her eye to heal! i want my pup to enjoy life!!!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 318bud View Post
    thank you everybody so much for the replies. 3 months for it to heal
    that does make me feel a little better though, 3 weeks is just pretty long to me
    I am definently going to get a second opinion and maybe even change vets because i want to find the perfect vet that i like as well

used some apple cidar venegar to clean her neck and worked great!! i think your right, some water just got stuck on her neck from the collar, causing a little infection.
    just waiting it out for her eye to heal! i want my pup to enjoy life!!!
    Wow 3 months, must have scratched it up pretty bad. I agree a 2nd opinion cant hurt thats for sure. Eyes are not something to mess with. It is good to have a local vet for quick things and if you have to drive to a good bully vet for the big stuff like this it is SO worth it, trust me. Glad the neck cleaned up anyhow, :phew:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads