Other Jack's Ear Scratching

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
Since the third medication, Posatex, hasn't stopped Jack's ear scratching, back to vet we went. We found out that he has no infection any longer, that the problem appears to be allergies. Makes me wonder how long his yeast infection has been gone and we were still treating it. So, we are now going to an animal dermatologist for testing!! We feed him Fromm, and Jeff buys every flavor so Jack has a variety. I have told him I didn't think that was a very good idea, but not sure if that really matters or not . One thing for sure at least, is that Jack has the cleanest years from the daily cleaning!!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Different 'Flavors' have different protein sources... which increases the likelihood its an allergy issue. I personally feed 1 protein source (Salmon) - if they get bored with their food, a dash of shredded cheese or yogurt gives them a change of pace.

OP
fortindycouple

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
I thought giving him a variety of favors wasn't the best of ideas. Do you know if all Fromm Foods flavors have acceptable protein levels for bulldogs? As in, not too high?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
some bullies will do good on it and some don't, just depends on their system. Mine will do good on one flavor of FROMM but not the other. Lucy can not eat the pork and applesause or the duck and sweet potato. You just need to find one that he do good on.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
You can put a few drops of apple cider vinegar in each ear to help clear out the yeast infection. Once its gone a couple more drops once or twice a week will keep any new yeast from growing

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
when you stated before that the second round didnt work i think i asked if it was still infected. im glad its gone but you might want to pick one flavor of fromm and stick with it for a bit and see how it goes. bulldogs are not notorious for being able to switch alot like that. no the protein should not be to much for a bully. let us know how its going. :)

OP
fortindycouple

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
We have an appointment with an Animal Dermatologist on August 1st. Our vet thought it would be best to find out now, since he's only 6 months. I'm not sure if it is like allergy testing for people. My oldest daughter had that done when she was in 4th grade (Senior in College now) and found that she is allergic to every tree, plant, and grass. She had some pretty itchy, sore spots from that. It makes me sad that might happen to Jack :(. The August 1st appointment is just an initial visit and they will determine what next as far as the testing.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
We have an appointment with an Animal Dermatologist on August 1st. Our vet thought it would be best to find out now, since he's only 6 months. I'm not sure if it is like allergy testing for people. My oldest daughter had that done when she was in 4th grade (Senior in College now) and found that she is allergic to every tree, plant, and grass. She had some pretty itchy, sore spots from that. It makes me sad that might happen to Jack :(. The August 1st appointment is just an initial visit and they will determine what next as far as the testing.

I belive they do a blood test to get results. Most people try to wait until at least 12 months but sometimes it needs to be done sooner so that just means you may have to do it again. Hoping for the best for Jack :heart: Nothing but positive thoughts. Keep us posted :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is said that if you feed several protein sources at a time with the inter-changeable diets like Fromm or Natures Variety you will have a less chance of developing allergies to a specific protein. But this means you must change daily. Like I kind for breakfast, a different one for dinner. Another for next day, then perhaps back to one for dinner, ect. The only thing is if there is a bad allergy to one of the proteins then boom! Reaction. And since it can take several days for a reaction to surface it is too hard to identify the problem source! While I think it is a great option for many dog owners, it is too much for bulldogs since they have more allergies to foods than other breeds, and identifying them is tricky enough without doing a mixed diet.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions