Puppy Poop Consistency

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Last week, Truman suffered a terrible bout of diarrhea and was prescribed a antibiotic and dewormer and is doing much, much better. (In fact, I would consider him 90% house trained with almost no accidents, and if there are, it's pee pee.)

However, since he had this bout of diarrhea, the consistency of his stool has gone from firm logs to the consistency of soft serve ice cream (for lack of a better comparison.) Is this "normal" or should I have a log? Should I go back to the vet for a fecal?

On the vet's advice, he's currently eating puppy food - Innova Puppy Formula.

Thanks!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
He should have firm logs...."tootsie roll" If you just changed his food, it make take longer. Are the stools still dark brown? You know me, paranoid EPI mom, I will be wanting updates often. Hope he feels better soon. Give him hugs and kisses from Bella.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Is he off all meds now?

And yes, you should have a log. When did he start innova?

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
He is still on his meds - for one more day - which is why I am somewhat concerned. On one hand, the antibiotics could be making his stool soft but, on the other hand, he could have really loose stools still, made better by the medication.

He's been on the Innova since Sunday. He had bland diet on Friday, mix of bland diet and food on Saturday, then regular food on Sunday.

I would say the poop is a medium brown (kind of like the borders of the message board).

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I wouldn't get too worried right away...just as long as the poop isn't a watery consistancy. If it starts getting watery, you have to worry about your baby getting dehydrated.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yeah, I can't decide what to do...on one hand, he's eating fine, pooping regularly, no accidents but on the other hand, since his bout of explosive diarrhea, I haven't seen a solid log of poo.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree with reallyrob, give it a couple of weeks. If it is still soft serve, then maybe have it looked at. He may not be agreeing with the food just yet.

One to watch out for is 'foamy' poop. This is poo that has added water in it. So if you give you bully 1 cup of food and he poops out 4 cups- this is a severe food allergy. Happened to our Sarah because she was highly allergic to Lamb.

Then about 1 year later the same thing happened to my son, we had switched him from Formula to Milk, and as soon as I saw the consistancy and the fact that it was giving him diaper rash I knew immediately he was allergic to milk proteins. It was just like a foamy consistancy, expanded you could say.

If it still does not improve after a few weeks it would not hurt to do a fecal.. If it is coccidia or giardia, it will get worse, not better.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I know with some antibiotics, with humans, they can cause soft stools and that on top of new food (without a transition period) could just be accumulating. As long as he is eating, drinking and has energy, it just might take some time. Good Vibes being sent your way.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone, I started mixing his puppy food with regular food to see if things will firm up and am going to hold off until he's off the antibiotics to visit the vet again since I know, for certain, he doesn't have any parasites or bacteria in his stool since he was treated for both...I will keep everyone updated!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We are thinking about baby T! Hope things start getting better real soon!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks! He's been off his meds for a day now and so far, so good. His stool has been normal (not logs but not soft either) and he has gone his normal number of times. I decided to put him on half puppy food/half regular food to help him adjust more and see if I can't get his poop to firm up just a little bit. I am just so desperate to have him feeling great and not have to worry about all this stuff!

Here's a pic of him and Linus outside this morning getting a little sun. Baby T is like a shadow to Linus; I have no idea what they'd do without each other:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
That's such a cute picture of them both and isn't it wonderful how they've come to dote on each other! Truman is looking so good! :D

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
CUTE pic!! I've given up on puppy-poop-consistency! Between Gertie and Ida and traveling, we've had everything imaginable! We stayed the first night of our trip in Gallup, NM. The water was HORRIBLE!! Gertie got screaming squirts! So we bought bottled water for the rest of the trip. She seems to be the sensitive one. Ida wasn't bothered at all on the trip up.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.