General Question Visit to the vet

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
Okay, so we are switching Pan's food over to Taste of Wild Pacific Stream. We talked about doing homemade, but the vet recommended a dry food saying its better for his teeth. I'll give it a shot, if it doesn't work I know what I'm doing next.

So, we were finishing out his last bag of yucky food, and noticed that he started paying his back half a lot of attention (licking, scratching, and so forth) and he had a few bumps on his back legs. I looked for fleas, he has none. I figured they were due to his allergies, but it was almost time for the switch. So that day I went and bought our first bag. We've been weening him for about 11 days now.

Well, as you all know changing food takes time, and he will be completely off of the old food on Sunday. But his bumps were not getting any better and started to look like it turned into a staph infection, so we headed out to the vet.

He looked at his back half and said, yep, looks like a staph infection. But wanted to run a culture ($85) just to be sure. Of course do it, well the culture has rods in it, and they're going to send it out to know exactly what is going on back there. He thinks it may be ecoli, but wont know until tuesday. But gave him a general antibiotic until we find out for sure.

So my question is, is it bad (very harmful) and how in the heck would he have gotten it?

Im assuming he opened the skin with all the scratching and that's how it got in there. He has been itchy and with all the scratching he has a few scabs, hence the food change and vet visit.

Has anyone else had this issue? Or know anything about ecoli?

PS I tried to take photos, but they didn't show very well and Pan decided he was finished having his goodies exposed.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm sorry, I know nothing of e coli other than it makes people sick and they found it in spinach. But I'm here hoping that it's simple and quick to cure. Poor guy needs to stop itching :(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry no help here either, just hope he gets better soon.

OP
PeterPanAndWendy

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
It doesn't seem to be bothering him, other than the scratching. He's still running around and acting like normal. Like I said, I wasn't to concerned until I took him to the vet.

[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] I've warned him I was going to put the cone of shame on him if he didn't stop all the scratching, however, I think it fell on deaf ears. I just keep stopping him, and instead give him a butt rub :) He seems to like that... Lol

At least he's on meds. Hopefully he heals up soon.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.