Tumor

Gizmosmama

Jul 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gizmo
I have a 10 year old female bulldog, Gizmo. She is the light of my life but about a month ago we started noticing little things like she would stumble down stairs, finally we put a ramp off the deck for her and we carry her compact 50lbs down to bed with us each night. She has had about 6 seizures over the past year, at least that is what I think they were. The latest was Saturday but two weeks ago I took her in because she started to tilt her head to one side. She seemed to be unbalanced also. I thought it was an ear infection even though her ears looked clear and clean, no odor or discharge and never had any ear problems before. The doctor said that he could not see through her ear that there was a mass, polup or tumor. We tried a steroid ointment to see if it would reduce the tissue but he wasn't hopeful because he didn't think it was an infection. So Saturday for recheck he thought we should try predizone and said that he thinks his diagnosis was accurate. She seems to sleep alot lately, she is bumping into everything, gets lost when she goes outside so we have to go with her. She begs at the chair for treats just like she always has but knowone is in the chair. She doesn't seem like she's in any pain, still eats and drinks normal. I wont put her through surgery and I am beginning to see that this is more common than I ever knew. Should we try the predizone or just let her go until its time? Your suggestions or guideance is appreciated.:pray:

L

Lucy-licious

I am so very sorry you find yourself in this position.I cannot offer advise though only send you my prayers and warmest wishes :hug:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have a 10 year old female bulldog, Gizmo. She is the light of my life but about a month ago we started noticing little things like she would stumble down stairs, finally we put a ramp off the deck for her and we carry her compact 50lbs down to bed with us each night. She has had about 6 seizures over the past year, at least that is what I think they were. The latest was Saturday but two weeks ago I took her in because she started to tilt her head to one side. She seemed to be unbalanced also. I thought it was an ear infection even though her ears looked clear and clean, no odor or discharge and never had any ear problems before. The doctor said that he could not see through her ear that there was a mass, polup or tumor. We tried a steroid ointment to see if it would reduce the tissue but he wasn't hopeful because he didn't think it was an infection. So Saturday for recheck he thought we should try predizone and said that he thinks his diagnosis was accurate. She seems to sleep alot lately, she is bumping into everything, gets lost when she goes outside so we have to go with her. She begs at the chair for treats just like she always has but knowone is in the chair. She doesn't seem like she's in any pain, still eats and drinks normal. I wont put her through surgery and I am beginning to see that this is more common than I ever knew. Should we try the predizone or just let her go until its time? Your suggestions or guideance is appreciated.:pray:

Well it's worth a shot trying the predizone I suppose, she's 10 and surgery shouldn't be an option at that age. If the meds work, hey hey hey. You all win big! Please keep us posted.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree with Sherry. Having been in a position much like yours, with a 9 year old Rottie...we tried non invasive methods. Surgery was not an option because of her age and other health problems. I'm sorry I can't offer some other options. But I have to say..to have a 10 year old Bully is such a tribute to you and the care she's gotten. And obviously the love. You deserve a big Kudos. Please keep us informed...:hug:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. If I were lucky enough to be Gizmo's mama, I think I'd try the prednisone. It helps keep them comfortable, even for a little bit. Now the question if you need to let her go, that one only you can answer. I'd like to believe that our babies will let us know if they're ready to go to the next life. Easier said than done, but you're a wonderful mama, who knows her best. 10 years is a long time for a bully, but it's never long enough for us. Go with what you feel is right. We're all here if you need us. :hug:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My bully went on steroids for awhile. It perked her up and helped with her diminishing appetite for awhile. I'd say it's worth a shot.

Good luck with your sweet girl...my fingers are crossed for you both! :)

OP
G

Gizmosmama

Jul 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gizmo
Thank you to everyone who responded. I was very sad yesterday and went to a yoga class after work. When we were ending in our silent relaxed state, the tears flowed from my eyes because all I could think of Gizmo and loosing her. I got home and layed on the floor with her, loved her when we went to bed and then this moring she was perking, begging for a treat and so I will have to embrace the good days and bad days for as long as I have that sweet little squished up face. Thank you again. I will keep you all posted.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thank you to everyone who responded. I was very sad yesterday and went to a yoga class after work. When we were ending in our silent relaxed state, the tears flowed from my eyes because all I could think of Gizmo and loosing her. I got home and layed on the floor with her, loved her when we went to bed and then this moring she was perking, begging for a treat and so I will have to embrace the good days and bad days for as long as I have that sweet little squished up face. Thank you again. I will keep you all posted.

You're doing the right thing..love her every day and treasure the love she gives you. Something for all of us to remember..just know you can come here anytime and talk it through. :hug:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm sorry for what Gizmo is going through right now, and for what you are going through as well. While reading your posts, tears well up as I think of all our bullies and the joy they bring to us, though their health can be unpredictable and their lives too brief. Treasure the time you have with your girl, spoil her rotten, and love her as often as possible. I'm thinking of you and keeping Gizmo in my prayers.:hug:

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I am so sorry that you are both having to go through this! I hope the good days and moments keep out numbering the not so good. Hugs to you and Gizmo!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
This post has brought tears to my eyes thinking what you both must be going thru. I agree 10 years is wonderful proof of a happy well loved life to say the least. Wish our babies would stay with us and be healthy MUCH longer than they are. :*( :hug:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=5431]Gizmosmama[/MENTION] I'm sorry I'm late to this thread. My sweet baby girl, Maggie, passed away 6 1/2 weeks ago. She was diagnosed with lymphoma and the vet suggested that she be put on prednisone.

The way it was explained to us, is that the prednisone would slow down the growth of her cancer, and make her a lot more comfortable. It was not a cure, but a way of getting to enjoy her a little longer.

There were complications and three weeks to the day that she was diagnosed, we lost her. It has left a huge, deep and painful hole in our hearts and in our lives.

Would I put her on prednisone again? Yes, because otherwise I may not have had those 21 precious days with her. Enjoy every day, hour, minute and second you have with her ... try not to cry too much, but enjoy the time you have left. Take lots and lots of photos and videos. I wish I'd had the time to take more, because it doesn't seem as if I have enough of her now. And above all, listen to your heart, and you will know when the time has come to let her go.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.