General Question Eye goo

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Not sure if our little guy has an infection or what. When we picked him up from the breeder yesterday I noticed some mucus in his left eye. She just wiped it out and it was fine. However when Seamus woke up this morning it was pretty crusted over with a lot of goo/mucus and his eye is redish. He let me clean it out but I don't know if it is an infection or what. I am seeing our vet tomorrow. Any advice would be welcomed! Thanks!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes good idea to take to the vet. How much goo? A lot of goo is a sign there is a problem, anything from dry eye, distacia, entropion, ulcer, infection, just to name a few. Let us know what the vets say.

Definitely call your breeder too and let them know about it.

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Thanks for the advice! I just emailed her and asked her if she had noticed anything and she said she hadn't before. She thought he might have just scratched himself and irritated it. Its not excessive but definitely more red than the other eye (that is completely clear) and there was goo in the morning. I will see what the vet says tomorrow.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Yes good idea to take to the vet. How much goo? A lot of goo is a sign there is a problem, anything from dry eye, distacia, entropion, ulcer, infection, just to name a few. Let us know what the vets say.

Definitely call your breeder too and let them know about it.

I agree.. I would have the vet take a peek to be sure :) he is adorable!

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Here are some pictures ... you can kind of see the mucus in his left eye. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2175.jpg
    IMG_2175.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2174.jpg
    IMG_2174.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 105

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
He is adorable!

Definitely have the vet check it out. We went through something similar when we got Rook, and the vet gave us an eye ointment that we gave him daily for a slight eye infection. It wasn't a big deal, and easy to treat.

I think the color of the eye goo is also supposed to be an indicator of infection... Clear is okay, yellow can be a sign of infection. Vet will be able to advise you best!

Congrats on you little guy! Hope you were able to rest up before you brought him home. ;)

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
So went to the vets today and Seamus did great. He has a small infection in his left eye so the Vet gave me some antibiotic eye drops to put in there 3 times a day for 7 days. Hopefully that will clear everything up! Thanks again for the great advice!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.