General Question Gagging noise like a cat trying to cough up a fur ball

Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
Hi all,

Bruno, from time to time, makes this horrible coughing/gagging noise that sounds like he's trying to remove something from his airways. Is this something that bulldogs do? Or something sinister I should be worrying about?? I usually distract him with a treat and it stops. It doesn't happen a lot but I'm just concerned that it might be something horrible. If he threw up after doing it, I'd put it down to something upsetting his stomach, but he doesn't throw anything up. By the way, we can't get Fromm food here in Australia so he's on Hills ZD Hills prescription diet kibble.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gloria:)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
They can get phlemy if that is even a word. lol A squeeze of lemon juice can help clear it up and break up that mucus in there. Cutty used to do that way back but now hardly at all. Not sure what causes it so much actually.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas does this occasionally, it is like a cough to clear his throat, I think he does this due to his environmental allergies, almost like he has drainage and needs to get it out of his throat. He does not get sick or gag it is just a deep cough to get whatever is in his throat cleared out.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
When Usko does this there usually is something in his throat, like "fur" from his toys. It's only a few times and he's fine. If you're worried take him to vet that knows bulldogs.
If I was in Australia I'd look up Ziwipeak, I don't rate Hill's very high, even though it's sold by most vets. Most don't know squat about nutrition.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
When we had Kain on royal Canin plus his allergys he would do that constantly. He also would puke up warm white flem. He was young and we thought it was normal, I tried lemon juice he puked for like 2 hrs and then shook like crazy because he was scared.

In the end we switched to Fromm and his breathing, gagging and no flem pukes are all 100% better.

Possibly a food issue you have still?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka is doing this right now too! We just switched him to TOTW and he's about 3/4 through a big bag now and has started coughing more in the last few days. Wondering if its the food or environmental allergies or the dust from finishing the basement. I just do not know but it kind of freaks me out. Especially when I have to go to work. He send to do it occasionally before as well but I noticed it was only when he had his head craned up to look at something high above him, now it's more frequent

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I found with Kain the allergys also showed watery eyes, runny eyes, redness in his white skin areas, and more frequent licking / scratching are other signs to also look for.

OP
Bruno and Gidget
Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
Wow! Thanks for all your feedback. I have looked up Ziwipeak and will look in to this further. It's very expensive but hey, my Boo Boo's health and well being is everything to me!

Thanks again, love this site. You're all amazing!

Most Reactions