Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 20

Thread: Petco grooming

  1. #1
    Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Warrensburg, New York
    Posts
    810
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Petco grooming

    Hi everyone wellll my poor porky has had a pretty rough week!!!! Last weekend she had 2 cherry eyes in the same eye n since probably Tuesday we had noticed a very foul odor n we assumed it was her breath!!!!! Well turns out my poor girl ended up having a yeast infection in her big nose wrinkle !!!! Now I'm OCD about keeping her very clean, her belly n her wrinkles get cleaned every single day with a baby wipe n most of the time more than once a day!!!! So to realize she has a yeast infection is very shocking to me!!!!! So Roger n I started thinking we always give her a bath n keep her face dry, when it's raining we blow dry her wrinkles when she gets in (she attacks the air lol) n always keep her clean n dry!!!!! Well she needed her nails clipped last week n we wanted to take Rogers mom to dinner so *lightbulb* we will take her to petco have her bathed and clipped while we eat!!!! Worked out perfectly too well now we r starting to regret it!!!!!! Her entire face smelt like shampoo which at the time I didn't think much of but now I'm wondering if the groomer washed her face got soap in her eye (causing her eye to get irritated n hence cherry eye) n didn't rinse her or dry her well!!!!!! My vet instructed me during baths, put a few drops of shampoo into the clean water dunk the washcloth in put her in ring the washcloth well then use that to wash her face......so we don't leave soap in wrinkles or get it in her eyes!!!!!!! So after that rant how long does it usually take for the yeast infection to manifest???? N has anyone else ever had a similar Issue with Petco or aby groomer??? She's smelt like yeast since Tuesday but I honestly didnt know before then what it smelt like now I
    know!!!!! Anyways I used sterile eye wash to wash the roll well dried it with a nice sift clean towel n the applied monistat 7 to it hopefully that will clear it all up n she will get her fur back in her little roll
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

  2. #2
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,246
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1557

    Default Re: Petco grooming

    The monistat should work fine. We will clean ours face with baby wipes, and in the nose rope we put some witch hazel on the baby wipe and wring it out then clean the nose rope. The witch hazel is an ex-stringent and drys well. The baby wipes by themselves will not dry inside a fold. I have heard of some horror stories of peeps taking their pets there. I think it just depends on who they have working there.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


  3. #3
    Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JeannieCO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    13,413
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)
    620

    Default Re: Petco grooming

    Poor girl, I hope her nose rope gets better soon. After seeing a couple of times at my local Petco mishandle the dogs when they were grooming them I would never ever take my dogs there or any pet store. This one gal was yanking on the lead line that they tie them to when they're standing on the table and really being mean trying to get the dog to stand still. Poor thing looked so scared. I complained to the manager and later found out that she'd been fired due to numerous complaints. And that's what you were able to see.

    David has some good tips. I've been lucky so far and no yeast infections so I have nothing to add there.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

  4. #4
    Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Warrensburg, New York
    Posts
    810
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Petco grooming

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    The monistat should work fine. We will clean ours face with baby wipes, and in the nose rope we put some witch hazel on the baby wipe and wring it out then clean the nose rope. The witch hazel is an ex-stringent and drys well. The baby wipes by themselves will not dry inside a fold. I have heard of some horror stories of peeps taking their pets there. I think it just depends on who they have working there.
    We will most definitely be buying some witch hazel when her nose rope heals poor baby!!! She doesn't like the monistat (paws at her face for about 5 mins after I apply it) but I notice after only 2 applications the smell is almost completely gone so it does seem to be working well!!!!
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

  5. #5
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,246
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1557

    Default Re: Petco grooming

    @porkysmamma I almost forgot, I wouldn't use the witch hazel everyday because it may dry it out too much and cause a skin irritation. You'll just have to see how it affects your baby.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


  6. #6
    Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Warrensburg, New York
    Posts
    810
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Petco grooming

    Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    Poor girl, I hope her nose rope gets better soon. After seeing a couple of times at my local Petco mishandle the dogs when they were grooming them I would never ever take my dogs there or any pet store. This one gal was yanking on the lead line that they tie them to when they're standing on the table and really being mean trying to get the dog to stand still. Poor thing looked so scared. I complained to the manager and later found out that she'd been fired due to numerous complaints. And that's what you were able to see.

    David has some good tips. I've been lucky so far and no yeast infections so I have nothing to add there.
    It already seems to be better almost no smell after 2 applications it's very red but we washed the yucky stuff away (along with most of the fur in there she has a bald nose rope now)!! I will never be bringing her to any groomer again!!! I had never heard anything bad about Petco n one of the girls that works there loves her to death and has a bulldog so i know she knows how to wash them unfortunately she was on maternity leave when we took porky in I don't even want to think about how she was treated im just glad we caught this b4 it got really bad
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

  7. #7
    Pet Sitter PeterPanAndWendy's Avatar
    Location
    Lindsey, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    347
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pan Cake
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Petco grooming

    Poor baby! I hope she gets better soon...
    I suggest finding yourself a groomer who 1) knows about bullies and 2) owns their own business. That way you know it's not just someone working for an hourly rate, but rather someone who actually loves animals and cares about the reputation of their business.

    I'm really lucky, my aunt is a groomer and owns her own kennel. Pan is one of her favorites, so I know he's well taken care of. Now if I could convince her to give me a family discount and I'd be all set.

    I think places like PetCo may be okay for some breeds, but I don't think EBs, with all of their special requirements, are included in that list.

  8. #8
    Dog Park Attendant Texkota's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Location
    South Riding, VA
    Posts
    472
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Renzo
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Petco grooming

    It's been my experience that the groomers at Petco are usually young and inexperienced. I doesn't take much skill to wash a dog right, get wet, shampoo, rinse, dry off, done. I have taken my Brittany Spaniel there and he has gotten ear infections because they did not dry his ears properly. Brittanies have really deep ear pockets yuo really have to get down in there to clean/dry them. I wont go to Petco for grooming. A professional groomer is a completely different story, you just need to ask the right questions to ensure that they know about bulldogs.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice ~ Neil Peart

  9. #9
    Newbie Libbygirl's Avatar
    Posts
    16
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Libby
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Petco grooming

    I have taken Libby to petco before for baths, and nail trimmimg. Overall I think you are better off doing your own baths if you can. No one will take care of your bully like you will. Just my humble opinion I still howeverr take her their to get her nails trimmed, but i stand right there and watch the whole time lol. They prob thinks im nuts, oh well think what you want.
    Good Luck!

  10. #10
    Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JeannieCO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    13,413
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)
    620

    Default Re: Petco grooming

    Quote Originally Posted by porkysmamma View Post
    It already seems to be better almost no smell after 2 applications it's very red but we washed the yucky stuff away (along with most of the fur in there she has a bald nose rope now)!! I will never be bringing her to any groomer again!!! I had never heard anything bad about Petco n one of the girls that works there loves her to death and has a bulldog so i know she knows how to wash them unfortunately she was on maternity leave when we took porky in I don't even want to think about how she was treated im just glad we caught this b4 it got really bad
    Glad to see she's getting better already. I would at the very least be expressing my concern to the store manager just so they're aware. Seeing what I saw that one day was bad and it'll ruin it for all the good groomers out there. @Texkota hit it on the nail, most are just young an inexperienced. But I've heard one too many stores of mishandling or clipping their nails wrong. It's the bad few that ruin it. I know @laurendoodler worked at a Petco/Petsmart and she's great and even started her own grooming in her basement I believe, but that's not the norm.

    Glad he's better.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

  11. #11
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: Petco grooming

    So clad it's clearing up. I have no experience in groomers. It's still quite unknown profession around here.
    How often do you bathe her? If she is eating food that agrees with her she doesn't need a bath very often. Dogs have protective oils in their skin and it's not good if you wash it away too often.

  12. #12
    Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Warrensburg, New York
    Posts
    810
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Petco grooming

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterPanAndWendy View Post
    Poor baby! I hope she gets better soon...
    I suggest finding yourself a groomer who 1) knows about bullies and 2) owns their own business. That way you know it's not just someone working for an hourly rate, but rather someone who actually loves animals and cares about the reputation of their business.

    I'm really lucky, my aunt is a groomer and owns her own kennel. Pan is one of her favorites, so I know he's well taken care of. Now if I could convince her to give me a family discount and I'd be all set.

    I think places like PetCo may be okay for some breeds, but I don't think EBs, with all of their special requirements, are included in that list.
    Yeah there's one girl there that met her when she was really little n owns a bully so shed be the only one I'd trust bathing her again but i will prolly just bathe her myself from now on she loves soaking me when she gets one n not splashing either she jumps out n jumps on me knocks me down n licks me to death lol so I'm soaked when she's done I loveeeeeeeee your bullies name it is so creative!!!!
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •