Other Petco grooming

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Hi everyone wellll my poor porky has had a pretty rough week!!!! Last weekend she had 2 cherry eyes in the same eye :( n since probably Tuesday we had noticed a very foul odor n we assumed it was her breath!!!!! Well turns out my poor girl ended up having a yeast infection in her big nose wrinkle :(!!!! Now I'm OCD about keeping her very clean, her belly n her wrinkles get cleaned every single day with a baby wipe n most of the time more than once a day!!!! So to realize she has a yeast infection is very shocking to me!!!!! So Roger n I started thinking we always give her a bath n keep her face dry, when it's raining we blow dry her wrinkles when she gets in (she attacks the air lol) n always keep her clean n dry!!!!! Well she needed her nails clipped last week n we wanted to take Rogers mom to dinner so *lightbulb* we will take her to petco have her bathed and clipped while we eat!!!! Worked out perfectly too well now we r starting to regret it!!!!!! Her entire face smelt like shampoo which at the time I didn't think much of but now I'm wondering if the groomer washed her face got soap in her eye (causing her eye to get irritated n hence cherry eye) n didn't rinse her or dry her well!!!!!! My vet instructed me during baths, put a few drops of shampoo into the clean water dunk the washcloth in put her in ring the washcloth well then use that to wash her face......so we don't leave soap in wrinkles or get it in her eyes!!!!!!! So after that rant how long does it usually take for the yeast infection to manifest???? N has anyone else ever had a similar Issue with Petco or aby groomer??? She's smelt like yeast since Tuesday but I honestly didnt know before then what it smelt like now I
know!!!!! Anyways I used sterile eye wash to wash the roll well dried it with a nice sift clean towel n the applied monistat 7 to it hopefully that will clear it all up n she will get her fur back in her little roll :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The monistat should work fine. We will clean ours face with baby wipes, and in the nose rope we put some witch hazel on the baby wipe and wring it out then clean the nose rope. The witch hazel is an ex-stringent and drys well. The baby wipes by themselves will not dry inside a fold. I have heard of some horror stories of peeps taking their pets there. I think it just depends on who they have working there.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Poor girl, I hope her nose rope gets better soon. After seeing a couple of times at my local Petco mishandle the dogs when they were grooming them I would never ever take my dogs there or any pet store. This one gal was yanking on the lead line that they tie them to when they're standing on the table and really being mean trying to get the dog to stand still. Poor thing looked so scared. I complained to the manager and later found out that she'd been fired due to numerous complaints. And that's what you were able to see.

David has some good tips. I've been lucky so far and no yeast infections so I have nothing to add there. :)

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
The monistat should work fine. We will clean ours face with baby wipes, and in the nose rope we put some witch hazel on the baby wipe and wring it out then clean the nose rope. The witch hazel is an ex-stringent and drys well. The baby wipes by themselves will not dry inside a fold. I have heard of some horror stories of peeps taking their pets there. I think it just depends on who they have working there.
We will most definitely be buying some witch hazel when her nose rope heals :( poor baby!!! She doesn't like the monistat (paws at her face for about 5 mins after I apply it) but I notice after only 2 applications the smell is almost completely gone :) so it does seem to be working well!!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=5186]porkysmamma[/MENTION] I almost forgot, I wouldn't use the witch hazel everyday because it may dry it out too much and cause a skin irritation. You'll just have to see how it affects your baby.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Poor girl, I hope her nose rope gets better soon. After seeing a couple of times at my local Petco mishandle the dogs when they were grooming them I would never ever take my dogs there or any pet store. This one gal was yanking on the lead line that they tie them to when they're standing on the table and really being mean trying to get the dog to stand still. Poor thing looked so scared. I complained to the manager and later found out that she'd been fired due to numerous complaints. And that's what you were able to see.

David has some good tips. I've been lucky so far and no yeast infections so I have nothing to add there. :)

It already seems to be better :) almost no smell after 2 applications it's very red but we washed the yucky stuff away (along with most of the fur in there :( she has a bald nose rope now)!! I will never be bringing her to any groomer again!!! I had never heard anything bad about Petco n one of the girls that works there loves her to death and has a bulldog so i know she knows how to wash them unfortunately she was on maternity leave when we took porky in I don't even want to think about how she was treated :( im just glad we caught this b4 it got really bad :(

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
Poor baby! I hope she gets better soon...
I suggest finding yourself a groomer who 1) knows about bullies and 2) owns their own business. That way you know it's not just someone working for an hourly rate, but rather someone who actually loves animals and cares about the reputation of their business.

I'm really lucky, my aunt is a groomer and owns her own kennel. Pan is one of her favorites, so I know he's well taken care of. Now if I could convince her to give me a family discount and I'd be all set.

I think places like PetCo may be okay for some breeds, but I don't think EBs, with all of their special requirements, are included in that list.

Texkota

Jun 21, 2012
South Riding, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Renzo
It's been my experience that the groomers at Petco are usually young and inexperienced. I doesn't take much skill to wash a dog right, get wet, shampoo, rinse, dry off, done. I have taken my Brittany Spaniel there and he has gotten ear infections because they did not dry his ears properly. Brittanies have really deep ear pockets yuo really have to get down in there to clean/dry them. I wont go to Petco for grooming. A professional groomer is a completely different story, you just need to ask the right questions to ensure that they know about bulldogs.

Libbygirl

Jul 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby
I have taken Libby to petco before for baths, and nail trimmimg. Overall I think you are better off doing your own baths if you can. No one will take care of your bully like you will. Just my humble opinion :) I still howeverr take her their to get her nails trimmed, but i stand right there and watch the whole time lol. They prob thinks im nuts, oh well think what you want.
Good Luck!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It already seems to be better :) almost no smell after 2 applications it's very red but we washed the yucky stuff away (along with most of the fur in there :( she has a bald nose rope now)!! I will never be bringing her to any groomer again!!! I had never heard anything bad about Petco n one of the girls that works there loves her to death and has a bulldog so i know she knows how to wash them unfortunately she was on maternity leave when we took porky in I don't even want to think about how she was treated :( im just glad we caught this b4 it got really bad :(
Glad to see she's getting better already. I would at the very least be expressing my concern to the store manager just so they're aware. Seeing what I saw that one day was bad and it'll ruin it for all the good groomers out there. [MENTION=5193]Texkota[/MENTION] hit it on the nail, most are just young an inexperienced. But I've heard one too many stores of mishandling or clipping their nails wrong. It's the bad few that ruin it. I know [MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION] worked at a Petco/Petsmart and she's great and even started her own grooming in her basement I believe, but that's not the norm.

Glad he's better. :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So clad it's clearing up. :jumpdance: I have no experience in groomers. It's still quite unknown profession around here.
How often do you bathe her? If she is eating food that agrees with her she doesn't need a bath very often. Dogs have protective oils in their skin and it's not good if you wash it away too often.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Poor baby! I hope she gets better soon...
I suggest finding yourself a groomer who 1) knows about bullies and 2) owns their own business. That way you know it's not just someone working for an hourly rate, but rather someone who actually loves animals and cares about the reputation of their business.

I'm really lucky, my aunt is a groomer and owns her own kennel. Pan is one of her favorites, so I know he's well taken care of. Now if I could convince her to give me a family discount and I'd be all set.

I think places like PetCo may be okay for some breeds, but I don't think EBs, with all of their special requirements, are included in that list.

Yeah there's one girl there that met her when she was really little n owns a bully so shed be the only one I'd trust bathing her again but i will prolly just bathe her myself from now on :) she loves soaking me when she gets one n not splashing either she jumps out n jumps on me knocks me down n licks me to death lol so I'm soaked when she's done :) I loveeeeeeeee your bullies name it is so creative!!!!

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
So clad it's clearing up. :jumpdance: I have no experience in groomers. It's still quite unknown profession around here.
How often do you bathe her? If she is eating food that agrees with her she doesn't need a bath very often. Dogs have protective oils in their skin and it's not good if you wash it away too often.

She gets a bath about once a week n that's only because on the weekends we stay at a friends with 3 very large dogs and a very big yard :) she will hunt to find a mud puddle n chase frogs in it so she tends to get very muddy lol that and she gets covered in slober from the other dogs!!!! but we use John paul pet for her because it is oatmeal n has a pet conditioner with it!!!!!! Honestly I try buying her all the LI brand dog foods n she refuses to eat them her favorite food is kibbles and bits lol which doesn't bother me much it's a lot cheaper than the blue buffalo or natural balance I was feeding her :p but her skin is fine no hot spots her coat is sift n shiny :)

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
@porkymamma, well it just fit... Lol. I mean he's Peter and I'm Wendy so we were missing Pan. Now we have him. The next one will be a Tink, and we already have seven of the lost boys (our flock of Peking ducks).

Yeah, I'm a dork. It can't be helped... :laugh:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] I worked at a Petco and I honestly kind of regret it. It was a horrible experience. It was a job I was SO excited for and it ended up being a huge let down and the people there were terrible.

[MENTION=5186]porkysmamma[/MENTION] I would complain, honestly. They should *not* have gotten the wrinkles wet. What a bunch of morons. Yes, you scrub the top of their head good and rinse it well..but you don't let water get below their forehead. It shouldn't get near their eyes. When I groom bulldogs, I just clean the rest of the face really well with non scented hypo allergenic wipes. No problems that way. Gets them clean and doesn't cause wetness. She should not have gotten those wrinkles wet. Getting them wet and leaving them that way can definitely cause a yeast infection, without a doubt.

I do groom dogs out of my house and am learning to be a groomer. I'll be starting more training in March once I've been at my current job for a year. Right now I take care of all the boarding dogs and occasionally do bath/brushes/nail trims. I DO know how to do hair cuts, and I do those at home..but I'm completely self taught and need to get "certified" and "trained" to do any hair cuts at an actual grooming parlor.

I groom my own Bulldog (Delilah) once a week. She gets bathed with high quality Pet Head shampoo and then I use Mane and Tail conditioner on her. She's got the nicest coat you will ever see on a Bullie, I swear!! I am very, very meticulous about her appearance. She also gets brushed out at least once a week..two or three times during the summer. I'm very dedicated to how good she looks so that she feels and looks her best. Any dog that comes to me will also leave looking and feeling good. I hear all of these horror stories about dogs getting injured at Petco/Petsmart and it just kills me. Nicking dogs with the clippers..something I have NEVER done and I'm self taught. It's HARD to nick a dog unless they are severely matted. And guess what? If they are that bad, groomers are supposed to refuse the dog and have them take it to a vet. Liability is too high. I've also heard of them cutting off ears with scissors and gluing it back on.

When I worked at Petco, I Saw the groomers make almost every dog's nails bleed..I never did once there. They have 20+ years experience and they are quicking the nails. Absolutely ridiculous. I only do it when the quicks are grown out due to neglect of the owner not getting the nails trimmed.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. Grooming is something I'm very passionate about and I get very annoyed when I hear of such terrible groomers. You are being trusted with someones pet and should treat them like your own. No excuses. I'm also extremely passionate about CORRECT bulldog grooming. Please complain. Keep us updated. I know I'm very curious. I hope your baby is feeling better!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.