JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
@JeannieCO I worked at a Petco and I honestly kind of regret it. It was a horrible experience. It was a job I was SO excited for and it ended up being a huge let down and the people there were terrible.

@porkysmamma I would complain, honestly. They should *not* have gotten the wrinkles wet. What a bunch of morons. Yes, you scrub the top of their head good and rinse it well..but you don't let water get below their forehead. It shouldn't get near their eyes. When I groom bulldogs, I just clean the rest of the face really well with non scented hypo allergenic wipes. No problems that way. Gets them clean and doesn't cause wetness. She should not have gotten those wrinkles wet. Getting them wet and leaving them that way can definitely cause a yeast infection, without a doubt.

I do groom dogs out of my house and am learning to be a groomer. I'll be starting more training in March once I've been at my current job for a year. Right now I take care of all the boarding dogs and occasionally do bath/brushes/nail trims. I DO know how to do hair cuts, and I do those at home..but I'm completely self taught and need to get "certified" and "trained" to do any hair cuts at an actual grooming parlor.

I groom my own Bulldog (Delilah) once a week. She gets bathed with high quality Pet Head shampoo and then I use Mane and Tail conditioner on her. She's got the nicest coat you will ever see on a Bullie, I swear!! I am very, very meticulous about her appearance. She also gets brushed out at least once a week..two or three times during the summer. I'm very dedicated to how good she looks so that she feels and looks her best. Any dog that comes to me will also leave looking and feeling good. I hear all of these horror stories about dogs getting injured at Petco/Petsmart and it just kills me. Nicking dogs with the clippers..something I have NEVER done and I'm self taught. It's HARD to nick a dog unless they are severely matted. And guess what? If they are that bad, groomers are supposed to refuse the dog and have them take it to a vet. Liability is too high. I've also heard of them cutting off ears with scissors and gluing it back on.

When I worked at Petco, I Saw the groomers make almost every dog's nails bleed..I never did once there. They have 20+ years experience and they are quicking the nails. Absolutely ridiculous. I only do it when the quicks are grown out due to neglect of the owner not getting the nails trimmed.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. Grooming is something I'm very passionate about and I get very annoyed when I hear of such terrible groomers. You are being trusted with someones pet and should treat them like your own. No excuses. I'm also extremely passionate about CORRECT bulldog grooming. Please complain. Keep us updated. I know I'm very curious. I hope your baby is feeling better!!!

I remember well too Lauren. I'll never forget the mistreatment that I saw that day. Not that all are bad but it's just not the place to take them IMO. Hope all is well. Delilah's looking great too btw!!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I saw you are feeding Kibbles n Bits and that could be a contributing factor into the yeast. I will tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] she has exp with yeast with her Sarah that is now under control.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Kibbles and bits definitely could contribute too. It's not the highest quality food. Then again, my dad's Lab lived 16 years on it. But Bullies are so delicate, lol.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw im glad your baby is getting better. you can also clean with peroxide and dry and then add the monistat. you can also use antifungal meds like tolnaftate and such if the monistat bothers her. a dab of hydrocortisone cream mixed with the monistat would help with the itching. these places i mean really what a story. i dont take my pet to the pet store to get groomed. the one time i did take her to petco to get groomed i had to rewash her when she got home due to the shampoo bothering her and making her itchy. other than that she was fine. :whew:

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
aw im glad your baby is getting better. you can also clean with peroxide and dry and then add the monistat. you can also use antifungal meds like tolnaftate and such if the monistat bothers her. a dab of hydrocortisone cream mixed with the monistat would help with the itching. these places i mean really what a story. i dont take my pet to the pet store to get groomed. the one time i did take her to petco to get groomed i had to rewash her when she got home due to the shampoo bothering her and making her itchy. other than that she was fine. :whew:

Yeah it is completely healed now :) yay and I took some advice I got earlier and use witch hazel twice a week to clean and keep it dry!!! But I have another question we have friends who have 3 large breed dogs (100+ lb dogs lol) n we had to spend almost a week up there to dog sit for them!!! Every single time we go there she gets cherry eye usually more than one a day :( so far I am able to get them back in but I noticed the only time she gets them is when we are there. We got home last night and so far today she hasn't had any at all. Do you think the other dogs saliva could be irritating her or when they play (she plays with my brothers dogs n has never gotten it there) but the big girls clean her face and wash her eyes for her then 20 minutes later she has a cherry eye :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.