URGENT!!! breathing problem 24 hours after surgery. PLease read if your bulldog is having surgery....

Libbygirl

Jul 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby
Hello all,
I have spent the last seven years learning everything about bullys, from allergies, to tail care, to dry eye...you name it, I can give advise on just about anything. However I ran into a problem this past Friday that about sent me into cardiac arrest! Libby had surgery to remove a mass from her gums on Thursday, all seemed to go fine with the surgery, she waqs groggy for the next 20 hours or so, which was to be expected. I deciced to take her to a friends house for a bit (was only about 72 degrees out) so I figured fresh air would do her good. She becaame exicited there, ran around a bit, made sure she had water..Then out of nowhere I heard a horrible breathing noise that I have NEVER heard coming from her, I rushed her to the emergency vet, and she ended up staying there in icu for the next 24 hours. We think what may have happened is her airway was irrated from the tube during surgery, and the excitment and running around cause it to become very inflamed. She is on seditives now to keep her calm for the next 2-3 days while that airway calms down. So there are 2 reasons Im writing this. ONE....if your bulldog has surgery, limit their activity for next 3-4 days. Also any thoughts or suggestions on this would be appreciated. Thanks all for taking time to read :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thanks for sharing your story ........ this is very good advice!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
How frightening for you..and her too! I'm so glad you were able to get her to a vet and taken care of. Warnings are always good here! Thanks!

L

Lucy-licious

Oh how scary...thank you so much for sharing your experience. How is Libby now? Please give her a squeeze for me xx

OP
Libbygirl

Libbygirl

Jul 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby
She is under very close watch from both mommy and daddy lol.....we are not out of the woods yet. The only activity she is allowed is to eat, potty, and sleep. Hopefully it clears up, if not could require a surgery :(

L

Lucy-licious

Well in that case we shall all keep her in our thoughts sending positive healing vibes her way :hug:

OP
Libbygirl

Libbygirl

Jul 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby
Thanks everyone, we appreciate it :pray:

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Hello all,
I have spent the last seven years learning everything about bullys, from allergies, to tail care, to dry eye...you name it, I can give advise on just about anything. However I ran into a problem this past Friday that about sent me into cardiac arrest! Libby had surgery to remove a mass from her gums on Thursday, all seemed to go fine with the surgery, she waqs groggy for the next 20 hours or so, which was to be expected. I deciced to take her to a friends house for a bit (was only about 72 degrees out) so I figured fresh air would do her good. She becaame exicited there, ran around a bit, made sure she had water..Then out of nowhere I heard a horrible breathing noise that I have NEVER heard coming from her, I rushed her to the emergency vet, and she ended up staying there in icu for the next 24 hours. We think what may have happened is her airway was irrated from the tube during surgery, and the excitment and running around cause it to become very inflamed. She is on seditives now to keep her calm for the next 2-3 days while that airway calms down. So there are 2 reasons Im writing this. ONE....if your bulldog has surgery, limit their activity for next 3-4 days. Also any thoughts or suggestions on this would be appreciated. Thanks all for taking time to read :)

Dublin had her surgery on Tuesday and recovery was very difficult. Had to rush her back to Dr. as she was throwing up digested blood and looked so bad. thankfully we are "out of the woods" and she is almost back to her old self, only with the breathing being so much better. We were told to keep her quiet for 3 weeks. After the surgery that seemed very realistic as she was so sick, but today she wants to do everything and of course it is tempting as she is looking and acting so well, but as your story proves the Dr. does know best, and thanks for sharing. It takes very little for our beloved EB's to take that turn backwards because of their narrow airways. This was her third surgery so unfortutantely know those ropes very well. You did the right thing rushing her back and she will be just fine and her old self in no time. You as a great mom, won't forget the scare.:whew:

OP
Libbygirl

Libbygirl

Jul 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby
You couldn't be more correct, I will never forget this scare. I just feel so bad because I am always so careful with her, with the heat outside etc...but for whatever reason my judgement was off on this one. I just pray she recovers fully and quickly. Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online