Help Needed! HAVING GAGGING ISSUES. Please Help

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I purchased Maximus from a pet store about a month ago. He just turned 3 months yesterday and im guessing around 15 pounds. I took him to the vet when i bought him cause he was having these gagging issues as if he wanted to throw up. (kinda like a cat removing a hairball). His nose is runny. He was prescribed Doxicyline tablets and Hycodan Syrup. The vet said it was an upper respiratory infection, he also recommended me leave him in the bathroom with the shower running really hot so he can breathe in the steam. He has been on the medication going on two weeks. He was very active once on the meds and was happy and upbeat. Until yesterday the Doxicyline tablets ran out and he is back to the gagging and being very lackadaisical today. I was doing research and wanted to know what people thought about a possible elongated palate?? I don't believe my vet is very experienced with Bullies. Then again I could be wrong. Maximus is my first dog so I don't know much. Im gonna call the vet to set if i can get a refill on the Doxicyline but I wanna try another vet to get another opinion. HAs anyone had this issue with the bully?? Please help!! HE still eats and drinks as normal

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=5338]ham3381[/MENTION] i dont know about this dear but lets see if we can get some peeps here to help you. @cali~jenn @2BullyMama @desertskybulldogs @Sherry hopefully someone will be along to help you. you can also at the top over to the right is a box and it has advanced search under it. you can put in elongated palate and look up some older threads on this till someone comes along. i just did and several came up. i hope your boy gets better soon. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is possible for a pallet issue but I would recommend a follow up appt to make sure the lungs are clear. An URI can turn into pneumonia really quickly. Just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPod touch using

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well first, if you feel like the very isn't a bully very then you r probably right. Doesn't make them a bad very but bullies have do many issues that other pets don't. We have a listing of recommended vets on the homepage. If yodon't find one maybe e can get input from others in your area. Bare with me, i am on my phone and can't see everything well. A fit the gagging... I know cutty and miila have both done thus from time to time. Is there coughing our throw up also? Miila had a long pallet and did gag and also sorry of regurgitated to if i remember correctly. Her snoring and breathing was also extremely
loud.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would maybe change vets as others have recommended. I have no experience of elongated pallet, so I can't offer much more advice on this!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=5338]ham3381[/MENTION] sorry I late to this thread, honestly I never had experience with the elongated pallet. nor have I done any research.

But as usual I just so happen to have an opinion. First, you are not comfortable with your vet. not good.
Next, you say his nose is runny. I don't think a runny nose an elongated pallet go hand in hand. But I could be wrong. If he seemed to be ok on the meds, then again, why would it be an elongated pallet. I'm leaning towards a chest ex-ray, and some blood work. Sorry to hear you have such a young pup that's sick, please keep us posted.

OP
ham3381

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Im gonna try a new vet whom i beleive is more experienced with bullies I have an appointment for saturday coming up. HE doing bad :( he sound like he is so congested and is having alot on yellow mucus in his nose. Im getting a refill on his meds today and trying the new vet on saturday. I cant take him earlier due too my job and money issues :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be the pallet, but with the yellow mucus out of his nose leasds me to think upper respitory infection.

Where do you live?

OP
ham3381

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] i live in miami FL

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Im gonna try a new vet whom i beleive is more experienced with bullies I have an appointment for saturday coming up. HE doing bad :( he sound like he is so congested and is having alot on yellow mucus in his nose. Im getting a refill on his meds today and trying the new vet on saturday. I cant take him earlier due too my job and money issues :(

Im so glad you're trying new vet..maybe the refill of antibiotics will help him improve a bit before Saturday. I so hope he gets better soon. Poor little guy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] i live in miami FL

Is this vet near you or worth a trip? They are on our recommended list;

Sunset Pet Hospital
Dr. Ricardo Caballero
Miami, Florida
305-816-9990

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online