Other Dublin is home "again"

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
After much back and forth with the Dr. we all decided that Dublin should come home last night. His big problem was that they could not get her to eat anything no matter what so he felt the risk was worth it to send her home in the hopes she would eat.
Well, I tempted her with everything I could think of and nothing. We sat down to eat and wouldn't you know, she decided that she would try something. She had a tiny bit of pasta and chicken ( and I mean tiny for her) She did keep it down. As I was saying yesterday, he is almost 100% sure she has an ulcer ( probably from all of steroids) and she will be taking Prilosec daily from now on.
She was awake most of the night ( which means so were we :)) She did have one incident of throwing up. No blood in it so that was a relief. Dr. Called this morning and said she really needed to eat more and keep it down before he is willing to say she is okay. Again, it has been a morning of trying to tempt her, and nothing. Just got her steroid ( no choice but to give it to her and a pepcid) into her and so far it is staying down and then I will continue to try her with anything at all.

She just want's to be by herself right now so I will leave her be and watch her very carefully.

I told the Dr. about my husband second guessing the surgery and saying "We took a healthy dog and put her through that" The Dr. said, you didn't have a healthy dog and you still don't. She still has lots of issues"
The wonderful part and the reason we did all of this, is her breathing is already wonderful. Even with all of the swelling and trauma the difference is fantastic.
We just need to get her through this rough time and I see a great future for her:2thumbs:Thanks to everyone here for being so supportive. Any advice on getting her to eat would be also apprecitated.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Sounds like you are doing everything right now its just a waiting game tell she starts eating! You are such a great mom!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
keeping good thoughts for you.. it just stinks when they aren't feeling well. the pepcid should help.. sending lots of bully hugs! :heart:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
What about some peanut butter. I know that when Jack my non bully was in ICU last year and had his feeding tube removed they gave me a very stinky fishy presecription food to use with part of his other food to entice him to eat. It worked. I also had to rub it on his lips to entice him to eat. It was quite messy but it worked. We did this for serveral days in small amounts.

:hug: :hug: to Dublin and you!

L

Lucy-licious

Oh poor baby...it's hard to eat when you feel crappy :( you need something high in calories and low in substance and effort. Did you try chicken n rice? Or potato or pasta again maybe?? If she thinks she's getting mummy's food??

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh poor baby. I have no other advice for getting her to eat but if anyone can, you can! Hoping she perks up some for you. Good to know the breathing is better, that is awesome and at least you know that it wasnt all for nothing.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So glad that her breathing is better allready! I'm positive that she will be fine soon in spirit too. What came to my mind was that kids get ice cream when their tonsils have been taken out???? What if you tried giving her something cold to sooth her throat??? When Usko refuses to eat for any reason I give him Nutri Plus gel. It's high in vitamins and energy and it can also be given as the only food source for patients recovering surgery.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I'm glad her breathing is better. Eat up, Dublin! We want you back 100%!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh so glad Dublin is there with you! There is one thing I make is 1lb of hamburger, add about 1/2 c of water, some frozen broccoli, a can of beans and a bit of butter, sprinkle garlic powder on top. It smells so good bubbling on the stove. Then I add a half cup of cooked rice to the mix. Maybe the smell of it will entice her to eat?

Sent from my iPod touch using

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'd go with something smooth but that smells good. But what smells good to her might be different than us. I like the ice cream suggestion..but maybe something okay for dogs..like ice cream? Poor Dublin...come on baby...:begging:

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
You guys are all so amazing! thank you and I will try some of the suggestions. She is on anti nausea meds and they are helping along with pepcid and she is back on her steroids. She is actually showing some interest in the smell of food my husband is cooking right now. feeling positive at this point.:yes:

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
Uf she still refuses to eat try syringeing jar baby Ford chicken ir lamb is easy on their tummys. When treating parvo dogs at work and they refuse food the vet gives them valium, it increases their appetite nike mad.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So glad she is ome and with you. I would try some chicken and rice plus the other suggestions sound good also. Get wheel so pretty girl.

Most Reactions