URGENT!!! Red spot on spikes head

Chapin04

May 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Well I was taking spike a bath today and noticed this big red spot on his head, I noticed his hair was jus coming off as I picked at it any help on what this might be
ad399d4d-14d8-5315.jpg

ad399d4d-14ea-64e2.jpg

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Ouch. That looks like one heck of a hot spot! General first-aid: a little hydrogen peroxide with sterile cotton ball and smear it with neosporin or bacitracin. Then we have to figure out why he got a hot spot: allergic response to food, bug bite, environment etc.....poor fella ..... Let me tag a few more knowledgeable folks, [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Wow! That spot looks ugly. Poor guy! I'm not sure what it could be. When my mom found out her sheltie had hypothyroidism, he got spots similar to that, but they were round spots of scabby, dry skin that peeled right off (like a very thick sunburn peeling off); the skin underneath wasn't that red.

I wish I could be of more help!

OP
Chapin04

Chapin04

May 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Thanks I sprayed some hydrogen peroxide on it and applied some neosporin , I also gave him a benedryl, if that clears it up at least we will know it's some sort of allergy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
It'll take awhile for that to heal...and benedryl just masks the underlying issue....I noticed your feeding Purina (not the best quality food) ....nutrition goes a long way in supporting the body's ability to heal and generally be healthy....there's a ton of info on foods on this forum and [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is the resident food guru.....

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Looks like a hot spot. Looks to be behind the ear to. Is it warm or moist or oozing. If so then it probably is. I believe its been said that behind the ear hit spots are usually food related. I know your supposed to shave the area n clean with hibiclenz which can be purchased at the drug store n kept dry. As for food yes I can help with that but I think were supposed to get it healed first. I can help you find a new food for sure as the one your using is not highly rated. If I was not on my phone I could look up some older hot spot threads.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Looks like a hotspots. When Watson gets these I find what works best is a bath with antibacterial and antifungal shampoo and keep the area dry. I clean it with witch hazel and seems to dry it up pretty quick. If it festers on, you may need antibiotics

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It does look like a hot spot but did you shave it? Also it looks dried out if it is, when did it happen? Usually the hair does not fall out on them that I have ever seen, I actually shave the hair off to give it air because it is a moist dermititis and will continue to spread if it stays that way.

Clean it really really well with antibacterial soap, and then if you have any cortizone (or any type of cream for itching with 'zone' at the end of the word) put that on it. Other things you may have on hand would be panalog or Malecetic Ultra which is what I would recommend but most people don't have that laying around unless they have been around EBN for a while. If you have none of the above use Listerine, Peroxide or Witch Hazel. The goal is to stop the itch and dry it out.

Now that I have said that, my suspicions are that this is not a hot spot unless it has been there a while. The whole hair falling out thing has thrown me. I think a trip to the vet is probably a good idea.

Give your baby a kiss from us, and we hope it goes away and heals quickly! :hug:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hot spots generally start on the head. It has the appearance that it has been picked at. Don't pick at it. It need's air to dry out and a cleansing agent to dry it out. Keep Spike out of the sun and heat as that will only irritate it. Perhaps Spike is allergic to the food also. Many bully's are allergic to chicken based food. A call to the vet should be in order. Hope this helps. You have some great advice from the others. Please keep us posted, thank you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks I sprayed some hydrogen peroxide on it and applied some neosporin , I also gave him a benedryl, if that clears it up at least we will know it's some sort of allergy
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did you 'pick' all the hair off or did it fall out? I am with Lisa on this --- if it feel out, it is not a hotspot, but if you picked it or shaved it... it is a hotspot.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Oh dear! That does look bad. I'd go to the vet. Change to a better quality food for sure too but transition to new food very slowly. If you can manage it, ask for a blood test it will tell you what your bully is allergic to.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hope this heals soon and you can figure out what cause it...You have gotten some great advice hoping for a speedy healing :pray: :hug:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online