Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I just found out 2 interesting things that I wanted to note on this thread:

1. NVI has coconut oil in it's formula.

2. Only about 10% of allergies in dogs are from food sources.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Just a quick update for those interested in how the cyclosporine treatment is going for Truman's severe allergies.

After initially causing a lot of gastrointestinal problems (vomiting then diarrhea), Truman adjusted to the medication and is taking it without any trouble or side effects. He's been on it just over a week now and I am seeing slight decrease in itching though it takes 4-6 weeks for maximum effect.

I'll keep updating this as things progress but the situation is much better than it was last week, so I'm hopeful.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Just an update:

Truman has been on Cyclosporine for 3 weeks now and has shown great improvement. He almost never itches or licks his paws and all of the raw, red spots on him have disappeared. After a rough start, we're no longer experiencing any side effects from the Cyclosporine. Truman goes to the vet for bloodwork on Monday to make sure his organ functions are normal and then we will start a decreased dose of Cyclosporine (from once a day to every other day) to see if that keeps his allergies at bay.

From my experiences thus far, if your bully experiences severe allergy problems that are diminishing his or her quality of life, I think Cyclosporine is worth a try. After some very unpleasant initial side effects (vomiting, then diarrhea), I am so happy to see Truman doing well and not spending all his time itching.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great update... I hope he continues down that path.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION]-so great to hear this, we're miserable when they're miserable...so NOT fun!

What food is Truman on and do you think the coconut oil is helping him?

I changed Brutie to Avoderm's Red Meat Meal & Potato, just on it over a week.

Since he's started sneezing when he goes out and scratching after coming in,
I think his are mainly environmental. He seems allergic to flea bites so I'm looking
into natural ways to keep fleas OFF him. Benadyrl (for grass allergies) seems so-so,
am trying Claritan now...will let you know.

So thankful Truman is responding well
:yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online