Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cyclosporine for Allergies

Max was on Atopica for 6-weeks. I waited another 6-weeks to see if I saw a difference, and I did not. His allergies remain a constant struggle. I've asked numerous Vets about why Max has such a 'red face', and they all say the same thing ---- "it's a number of reasons". Allergies, Atopy, genetics, blah blah blah blah blah ..........so I've never
    gotten a reasonable explanation as to why I can not control his allergy symptoms. I continue to try all creams, lotions, powders, antiseptics, Witch Hazel, wipes and on and on and on. Nothing really works. Bottom line is he has alot of wrinkles, he sweats, moisture collects in the wrinkles, the skin gets moist, then it gets red and raw and irritated. It's a vicious cycle. So I do my best to keep it dry with powders (Gold Bond) and hope for the best. Right now he is on antibiotics and steroids (from the Entropion Surgery he just had), and even those don't help his 'red face'. He is also on Zyrtec daily and I'm not seeing a difference with that either. I tried him on Benedryl, but that did nothing.
    Last edited by Maximus; 07-15-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

@Maximus and @sheshistory, my heart goes out to you and your Bully, allergies
    are sometimes so difficult, sometimes impossible to control and finding the cause
    is like looking in a haystack for a needle. My Mother had a darling 'lil Pug (a puppy
    mill dog) that suffered terribly, seasonally allergies in the Spring. Nothing much
    helped but I got in on helping her, late. Mother lived w/my younger Sister in another
    town and I was too sick to travel & visit.

I wanted to ask if either of you has tried adding pure, organic, cold pressed, Coconut
    Oil to their diets to help w/their skin issues and to stop the itching & scratching. I'm
    using it in my own diet and giving a TBS daily to Brutie but just started this 2 weeks
    ago. He itches, licks his paws * has a rash just above his butt the size of my palm &
    sparse hair there.

I've done lots of research because of my Lupus which is autoimmune and basically an
    overactive immune system. GREAT advice you're giving out @sheshistory and will be
    invaluable education for us Bully owners, thank you!

Good luck, will be keeping all y'all in prayers to find the answers to solve these problems.
    Texas Carol & Brutie
    Last edited by bullmama; 07-15-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: fixed replacer issue with bold font

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    @Maximus and @sheshistory, my heart goes out to you and your Bully, allergies
    are sometimes so difficult, sometimes impossible to control and finding the cause
    is like looking in a haystack for a needle. My Mother had a darling 'lil Pug (a puppy
    mill dog) that suffered terribly, seasonally allergies in the Spring. Nothing much
    helped but I got in on helping her, late. Mother lived w/my younger Sister in another
    town and I was too sick to travel & visit.

I wanted to ask if either of you has tried adding pure, organic, cold pressed, Coconut
    Oil to their diets to help w/their skin issues and to stop the itching & scratching. I'm
    using it in my own diet and giving a TBS daily to Brutie but just started this 2 weeks
    ago. He itches, licks his paws * has a rash just above his butt the size of my palm &
    sparse hair there.

I've done lots of research because of my Lupus which is autoimmune and basically an
    overactive immune system. GREAT advice you're giving out @sheshistory and will be
    invaluable education for us Bully owners, thank you!

Good luck, will be keeping all y'all in prayers to find the answers to solve these problems.
    Texas Carol & Brutie
    Thanks Carol - I'm definitely going to try the coconut oil. I really hate giving Truman the cyclosporine but I'm pretty desperate. He's been keeping it down now but it's giving him diarrhea. We're a week in and if things don't turn around soon, I am going to stop giving it to him and develop a different game plan.

But I appreciate the feedback. It's really frustrating to see him suffer and good to know I'm not alone!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I just found out 2 interesting things that I wanted to note on this thread:

1. NVI has coconut oil in it's formula.

2. Only about 10% of allergies in dogs are from food sources.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Just a quick update for those interested in how the cyclosporine treatment is going for Truman's severe allergies.

After initially causing a lot of gastrointestinal problems (vomiting then diarrhea), Truman adjusted to the medication and is taking it without any trouble or side effects. He's been on it just over a week now and I am seeing slight decrease in itching though it takes 4-6 weeks for maximum effect.

I'll keep updating this as things progress but the situation is much better than it was last week, so I'm hopeful.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Oh I'm so glad he is some better. Yes keep us posted

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Just an update:

Truman has been on Cyclosporine for 3 weeks now and has shown great improvement. He almost never itches or licks his paws and all of the raw, red spots on him have disappeared. After a rough start, we're no longer experiencing any side effects from the Cyclosporine. Truman goes to the vet for bloodwork on Monday to make sure his organ functions are normal and then we will start a decreased dose of Cyclosporine (from once a day to every other day) to see if that keeps his allergies at bay.

From my experiences thus far, if your bully experiences severe allergy problems that are diminishing his or her quality of life, I think Cyclosporine is worth a try. After some very unpleasant initial side effects (vomiting, then diarrhea), I am so happy to see Truman doing well and not spending all his time itching.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Great update... I hope he continues down that path.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

@sheshistory-so great to hear this, we're miserable when they're miserable...so NOT fun!

What food is Truman on and do you think the coconut oil is helping him?

I changed Brutie to Avoderm's Red Meat Meal & Potato, just on it over a week.

Since he's started sneezing when he goes out and scratching after coming in,
    I think his are mainly environmental. He seems allergic to flea bites so I'm looking
    into natural ways to keep fleas OFF him. Benadyrl (for grass allergies) seems so-so,
    am trying Claritan now...will let you know.

So thankful Truman is responding well

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads