Ear Yeast Infection

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
Clumsy Jack fell into the deep end of our pool, helping daddy clean the skimmer, about a month ago. He only went under one time, but since then, has been suffering from a Yeast Infection in one ear.
Our Vet first gave us Otomax to use. We noticed he still was trying to scratch at his ear after 7 days of use. Went back to Vet, he gave us Zymox, which has hydrocortisone. He is still trying to scratch
the ear, after 2 weeks of using it. Does anyone experience these yeast infections? What do you use? We look into the ear canel with an ear scope, and no longer see the infected area, and now
wondering why he is still trying to scratch at it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I don't have experience with yeast infections..but I have a great tip for ears. Witch hazel! Use a cotton pad ..soak in witch hazel..squeeze out excess so it's not dripping, but leave it wet. Then I wrap pad around my index finger and reach deep into their ears. It cleans and you don't have to worry about leaving moisture in because it's a natural astringent and dries completely on its own. My sister, a groomer, told me about it and now my dogs love it!

Im remembering that my hubby used to get water in his ears from swimming and although NOT an infection..it drove him crazy! I wonder if Jack could have some trapped water deep in his ear canal. Just a thought! People use a product called Swimmers Ear to dry it out..basically isopropyl alcohol.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm sorry that I don't have any advice ... if there is no infection that I really don't know. So I can only say to try the great advice that [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] has already given you!! :up:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
is the ear red and swollen if not then might not be a yeast infection. if it is then i use malaket wipes to clean sarahs ears. its anti bacterial and anti fungal. after i wipe the ear i sweeze the pad and get the stuff in the canal. takes care of it everytime. if not then im with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] maybe some water left over.

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Lilly used to have some pretty bad yeast issues, but I altered her kibble(just started feeding raw like a day ago lol) and started using VetsBest Ear Wash+Dry. Both used in conjunction definitely seem to help. I do think the food made it occur less, and now when it does the vets best stops it in its tracks. It was like 20 bucks at petco, and is AMAZING!! The one tube is for cleaning, and there is another that dries into a powder which helps absorb excess moisture inside the ear. Another awesome thing about it, is that it's all natural. Very few ingredients in it, and actually makes her ears less stinky too(thanks to the clove). Also, like you our vet prescribed Zymox and I hated the stuff. Not only is it really gooey, but its like it never dries and always leaves them scratching. I threw that out and use only this stuff now as it clears it up usually within a few applications.

OP
fortindycouple

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
Ya know, Jeff did buy some witch hazel awhile ago, he read it was good for something, but now he can't remember what LOL

OP
fortindycouple

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
No, it's not red or swollen, but the vet did a culture and confirmed it was yeast. I just read another post saying that the Zymox does cause scratching, so maybe that's why he's still scrathing??
The boy has the cleanest years though!! LOL

OP
fortindycouple

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
I couldn't agree with you more, that Zymox is really yuck!! We have to try to massage it down the ear canal, but it just stays there and gets all over everything and everyone.
The fact that you said that it leaves the still scratching, confirms for thoughts, or hope anyway, that he is just scratching because of the Zymox. Thank You :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online