update on Dubbie's surgery

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
First I want to thank everyone for their kind words and wishes. they mean so much. below is an update from a few hours ago. Still figuring stuff out on the forum :detective:

The surgeon just called. She came through the surgery just fine Thank God. he took the two saccules, more of the soft palate and did fine tuning of her nostrils. He thinks she will do well. The two negatives that he can't do anything about is the fact that she does really have a very small trachea. He operated on a little pug before her and it had the same size trachea. There is also some calcification of the cartilage around her Larynx making it very “rubbery” instead of flexible so that can't be operated on. Her big issue down the road is the collapse of the Larynx and/or the trachea. At which point there is nothing they can do. If it is to happen at all hopefully it is way down the road.
The next 24 to 48 hours are critical. If she gets through that without complications we should be good.

We won’t see her until tomorrow L This is the first time since we brought her home that she won’t spend the night with either one of us...:cry:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my but im glad things went well. just wish better news down the road. will be sending nice thoughts and prayers your way. :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So happy to hear that the surgery went well! Lots of healing thoughts coming your way!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my that sounds like it went well. Phew! The next few days will be so nerve wrecking i know. Hourly thus really makes a big diff on quality of life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm sorry ... but at least the surgery is over and all we can do now is pray that she gets through recovery just fine. When we first got Maggie, she broke her elbow within two weeks of having her home. The surgeon at the time commented that she had a trachea the size of a pencil. It never seemed to stop her running around, we just had to be over cautious in the ohio summers because of the humidity.

Thinking of you ....... :hug:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Hope the recovery period is as smooth as the surgery.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
So glad the surgery went well and hoping for a speedy recovery!!

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I'm sorry ... but at least the surgery is over and all we can do now is pray that she gets through recovery just fine. When we first got Maggie, she broke her elbow within two weeks of having her home. The surgeon at the time commented that she had a trachea the size of a pencil. It never seemed to stop her running around, we just had to be over cautious in the ohio summers because of the humidity.

Thinking of you ....... :hug:

this is Dubbie's second surgery for breathing issues. There is nothing left to take out now to help her. She wants to be such an active dog and when she tries it is tough on her. When the surgeon heard she swims, goes boating, Loves walking and boy you should see her go when she finds a rabbit to chase. Unfortunately all of these things she loves takes a terrible toll on her, so I'm hoping she can do what she loves and not look like she is about to keel over. We live in Florida so that makes these activities even tougher. Again, thanks for the support.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Glad she is doing well! Hopefully what the surgeon was able to do will out weigh the negatives, and she can get back to being the super bully that she is.

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
First I want to thank everyone for their kind words and wishes. they mean so much. below is an update from a few hours ago. Still figuring stuff out on the forum :detective:

The surgeon just called. She came through the surgery just fine Thank God. he took the two saccules, more of the soft palate and did fine tuning of her nostrils. He thinks she will do well. The two negatives that he can't do anything about is the fact that she does really have a very small trachea. He operated on a little pug before her and it had the same size trachea. There is also some calcification of the cartilage around her Larynx making it very “rubbery” instead of flexible so that can't be operated on. Her big issue down the road is the collapse of the Larynx and/or the trachea. At which point there is nothing they can do. If it is to happen at all hopefully it is way down the road.
The next 24 to 48 hours are critical. If she gets through that without complications we should be good.

We won’t see her until tomorrow L This is the first time since we brought her home that she won’t spend the night with either one of us...:cry:

Newest update. I just called and spoke with the night Dr. she said Dublin is sleeping and snoring:) They are keeping her medicated for the night and monitoring her breathing. they will try offering her some water every hour and they will call me in the morning. Miss her terribly:cry: but I know she is being well taken care of. My husband will have his side of the bed tonight but I know he wishes she was here huffing in his ear and kicking him in the back..:laugh:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Glad she's doing so well so far. Hopefully tomorrow she will be back to hogging the bed.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Newest update. I just called and spoke with the night Dr. she said Dublin is sleeping and snoring:) They are keeping her medicated for the night and monitoring her breathing. they will try offering her some water every hour and they will call me in the morning. Miss her terribly:cry: but I know she is being well taken care of. My husband will have his side of the bed tonight but I know he wishes she was here huffing in his ear and kicking him in the back..:laugh:

Well..he better not get used to sleeping like a HUMAN! Dublin will take care of that!! :hug:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
One thing I have learnt in the last 4 1/2 years, since I first became owned by a bully, is that these babies defy any and every obstacle!! Their stubbornness and sheer willpower overcomes things that would have most dogs defeated. And your sweet Dublin sounds like a REAL fighter!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.