Interceptor Suspended?

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Novartis has voluntarily suspended the manufacturing of interceptor! What should I use for heartworm meds now? Anyone else using interceptor? What will you be going to? I don't like giving heartworm as it is, but since we have so many mosquitoes in mass, I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry. What does everyone recommend?

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I use Trifexis, but my pup doesn't tolerate it very well. She doesn't feel well for about 36 hours after I give it. Next month I'm going to ask the vet what else is available. I would also be curious to hear what other people are giving with Interceptor unavailable.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
My vet just called and said that they have a lab that is 'compounding Milbemycin' (which is the ingredient in interceptor) and can ship it to me or they recommend heartgard if I didn't want to go with that. I don't know what to do. Part of me says just stick with the milbemycin, but then I'm getting from some company that I don't know. Any thoughts?

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I have enough Intercepter to last through August, then I will be in the same boat....kind of hoping the factory in Lincoln, Nebraska is back in business....lots of people are out of work there, i understand the shutdown there was because of problems with other pharmaceuticals coming from that plant....not Interceptor. Anyone else have anymore info? Or Use Heartgard?

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
We use REVOLUTION its a topical, Flea/heartworm/tick etc all in one.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I use Revolution as well... never seen a flea or tick, and it also prevents heartworm.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] My vet mentioned that they thought it would be back on the market around September. There wasn't alot of confidence in her voice when she said it though. I think I might call a compounding pharmacy a few streets over from my house and see if they can do it (I imagine only with my vets Rx though, so that's if my vet doesn't say 'oh we don't know them so we don't do business with them')

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
my boys except for Remy are also on heartguard and have had no problems. Remy has to take Sentinel which has the flea/tick preventative in it, since he's allergic to any kind of topical flea stuff, I've tried with him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.