Flank Alopecia - and progress with a Suppliment (Pictures)

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Grizzly Salmon Oil has profoundly affected Bea's Seasonal Flank Alopecia. Last summer, she looked a lot like Giz. This summer, you can barely tell she has it. I started giving the salmon oil at the beginning of the season for on-set.

We changed her food to Salmon as the protein, and there wasnt any change for the better. That is why we tried 'The Missing Link' I'm just wondering, is it coming in due to 'summer' or due to the suppliment :confused:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
No, it's summer. Not the supplement. Last year, I didn't do anything for it because her vet (and everyone else I know) said there's really nothing you can do about it. It doesn't hurt or itch --- so its just cosmetic. For Bea, the salmon oil helped for sure.

Either that our she's "un-caught" seasonal flank alopecia. I don't think you can do that....?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That is very significant approvement, good to know if Usko ever gets it.

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
No, it's summer. Not the supplement. Last year, I didn't do anything for it because her vet (and everyone else I know) said there's really nothing you can do about it. It doesn't hurt or itch --- so its just cosmetic. For Bea, the salmon oil helped for sure.

Either that our she's "un-caught" seasonal flank alopecia. I don't think you can do that....?

From my reading, SFA runs in cycles - they could lose alot (like Gizmo) and after 2 years it could be back to normal, or every year it thins - its REALLY hit or miss. There is no sure fire fix - I will state this as an observation - her black patches (bald to the skin) were rough and leathery - but not after 2 months on this supplement -

Some dogs 'Uncatch it' as in they have 1 episode in their lives and that is it. - This year she has free rein of the house - before her kennel was in the middle of the house (out of direct sunlight as we didnt want to over heat her) and studies say its the amount of sunlight a dog gets, (less direct sun in the winter, hence the 'seasonal' part of SFA) I dont know, really I dont, but there's a change, and we'll keep adding it to her food - (hoping) that is the reason for the hair coming back in. I guess we'll find out this winter

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] - You know, I have heard that too! Dr. Terry suggested "sunbathing" as a possible help with it.

Last year, without any intervention at all -- no salmon oil, no nothing --- Bea's hair grew back in beautifully. And last year, she had those big black leathery patches on both sides.

Most Reactions