Max on Benadryl, week 1

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
I have always suspected Max has allergies, especially after researching on the Internet and talking with my vet. We've always put off the blood tests because of one reason or another. And the vet did not want to do meds without the test. Don't know why, but that's a subject for a different day. So, last Saturday, I put max on Benadryl myself. He weighs 48 pounds and I'm giving him 50mg 2 times a day when he eats. I also changed him to a raw diet (NVI frozen beef).

The differences are amazing. I can't Beleive it. I used to clean the yeast out of max's ears twice a day and his ears were still crusty. And omg, the smell. We are now down to once every other day and his ears are soft.

His belly on inside of his back legs have always been bald, and his skin has always been pink. Now his skin on his belly is dark, like the skin around his nose and lips. And hair is growing in already. He also has hair filling in around his eyes and his entire coat is more colorful and softer, although he is shedding quite a bit.

The itching has decreased, no more frantic paw licking. His poop is now firm and not smelly, which is TOTALLY different than before. And no more butt scratching on the floor.

He smells like a totally different dog and acts like it too. He has tons of energy and wants to play and be loved on more. Everybody in our house is happier.

Just wanted to share. I just can't Beleive the difference, especially in his coat. :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Congratulations Max, this is great news, keep up the great work mum

Texkota

Jun 21, 2012
South Riding, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Renzo
That's great news! Sounds like Max is doing really good. I just can't get over how much of a difference food makes. Feed them right and they are strong healthy bullies, feed them the wrong way and they are miserable sickly things.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Congrats! That all sounds like usual "side effects" of raw food. Why not try a day or two without Benadryl???

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I love these stories! Wonderful news for your boy! Food makes all the difference, doesn't it?

OP
TandVsMom

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
Congrats! That all sounds like usual "side effects" of raw food. Why not try a day or two without Benadryl???

I had already been considering this, but he is doing so well, I'm afraid to change anything! :yes:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I had already been considering this, but he is doing so well, I'm afraid to change anything! :yes:

I was going to suggest the same but yes maybe wait a couple weeks then wean him off of it, he may not need it anymore once you got everything else under control. :up: keep us posted! Don't forget we are always looking for dog food testimonials too for our articles section!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
TandVsMom

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
I'm very excited for Max, but my vet is completely unsupportive. We are so far apart on the diet issue that I might change vets, even though I have been with this vet for years, with all our pets, and he did a wonderful job on Max's eye-surgeries. He says it is naive and irresponsible for me to feed Max (or any other dog, for that matter), a raw diet. I am at a loss with what to say to him. I took Max in and the vet admitted that he looks and smells markedly better, his butt looks better and his ears have improved about 80%, but he refused to attribute any of these improvements to the diet, and said it must be because Max has barely been outside in the last two weeks (this is true, it has been so blamed hot here that we just run out to potty and drag back in - lol)

I'm, for the first time, being a proactive pet owner and doing what I think is right for Max. Always before, I've deferred to the vet's expertise, but this time I don't agree that I need to buy prescription food for Max. To be accused of being irresponsible (he even went so far as to call me "silly" :nonono: )...I'm furious.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online