Possible torn ACL :(

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
[MENTION=2415]AdventuresWithOliver[/MENTION] we just spoke with the surgeon and I thought you had it expensive! It will be between $3500-$5500 for Belly :shout: We have an appointment next wednesday the 18th ...if they feel she tore it , they will operate that day :cry:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
@AdventuresWithOliver we just spoke with the surgeon and I thought you had it expensive! It will be between $3500-$5500 for Belly :shout: We have an appointment next wednesday the 18th ...if they feel she tore it , they will operate that day :cry:

Whoa, is that for both knees? If not, that's pricey! But it'll be definitely worth it in the end.

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
That's definitely pricey. Is it for TTA surgery or TPLO? Is that quote for both knees? We were actually quoted $2,900 but we had the pre-admission blood work done at our own vet instead of the hospital, so it saved us some money. That definitely sounds like a lot....

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
That's definitely pricey. Is it for TTA surgery or TPLO? Is that quote for both knees? We were actually quoted $2,900 but we had the pre-admission blood work done at our own vet instead of the hospital, so it saved us some money. That definitely sounds like a lot....

We haven't seen the surgeon yet, but I asked the receptionist what a quote would be and she came back later and asked Belly's weight, then told me a "ballpark" figure. I was wondering before I talked to them if it was going to be outrageous since the surgeon works out of the emergency clinic... they double everything.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
We haven't seen the surgeon yet, but I asked the receptionist what a quote would be and she came back later and asked Belly's weight, then told me a "ballpark" figure. I was wondering before I talked to them if it was going to be outrageous since the surgeon works out of the emergency clinic... they double everything.

I had to pay for 2 TPLOs for Bentley's torn ACLs - I think they were around $2,700 a piece in Phoenix about 6 or 7 years ago. It's definitely no fun and, not to overwhelm you, but once the first one goes, there is something wild like a 90% chance the other will follow. Bentley had his first done at 10 months and second done at 26 months.

Good luck...and if you have any specific questions, do ask since so many of us have been in your shoes!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh that is a lot. :( being an emergency Vet i bet it would be cheaper at a reg bully Vet. Have you called more than one? I Would def call around and once you get xrays, get a copy so you can get a2nd opinion at least. Don't rush it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh my gosh that is a lot. :( being an emergency Vet i bet it would be cheaper at a reg bully Vet. Have you called more than one? I Would def call around and once you get xrays, get a copy so you can get a2nd opinion at least. Don't rush it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

My vet said there are only 2 orthopedic surgeons here and one in Maryland. The other one here is working at the same emergency clinic. I'm going to ask them why it's so expensive and see what my alternatives are. I'm praying my company doesn't go out on strike at the end of the month or I'm really gonna be in deep doo doo...we'll all be living in a box..but Belly won't be limping lol!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
My vet said there are only 2 orthopedic surgeons here and one in Maryland. The other one here is working at the same emergency clinic. I'm going to ask them why it's so expensive and see what my alternatives are. I'm praying my company doesn't go out on strike at the end of the month or I'm really gonna be in deep doo doo...we'll all be living in a box..but Belly won't be limping lol!

lol so long as she is healthy right? Well if there are only 2 that explains the price I am guessing. Maybe check outside your area? If it saves you thousands, it could be worth a drive and hotel even? Just a thought. So long as it is a known bully vets that is.

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Just an update... Belly's ACL is definitely torn :( Surgery is next Thursday morning. I'm going to make her a dog tag with a diamond in it... The estimate is $4300-$4900..that included an adavant (or something like that) shot 2 x's a week that they did a study and it reduces the chance of it tearing again to a 95% success and laser treatments...she is definitely my diamond girl :2thumbs: They might have to clip her soft palate while they have her under also. I'm so happy that the surgeon used to work with bully rescue and has done scads of these surgeries. I feel like she's in the best possible hands, but I'm still scared crapless :begging:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
You should get her a car too, I'm sure you can get a really good one with that price. :D

It's too bad she tore her ACL, but it's fantastic that your vet is very experienced with this type of surgery. I'm glad the extras are part of your bill, that makes more sense, instead of the surgery only.

With you too on being scared and stressed, we're all here to help you calm your nerves. :hugs:

Will be praying for a smooth surgery and a quick and uneventful recovery.

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
I'm so sorry Belly's ACL is torn. It sounds like you're in good (but, wow, expensive) hands. Wishing you lots of luck and I hope Belly has a speedy recovery. I'm not an expert by any means, but if there's anything you want to compare with Oliver's surgery and recovery, don't hesitate to ask. Hugs!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.