Tail Pocket?

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
I guess in searching the internet Jenna my 3 yr old rescue has a tail pocket...but her tail (nub) is actually inside...so she really doesn't have a tail it's covered...when she sits & spins...I call it her stevie wonder impression...it doesn't seem to bother her too much I clean it about once a week with witch hazel and baby wipes....i adopted her about 2 months ago and the rescue said her tail was a inny no mention of a pocket but the first time she started to act like stevie i figured i would try cleaning...i think it took almost a box of wipes..so trying not to let it get that nasty again i try cleaning it at least once a week...so do you think this is a tail pocket?

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Yes, it sounds like a tail pocket issue to me. Gizmo had an Inverted Corkscrew tail (it actually was turning back into the body). We had to have her tail Amputated - a very drastic surgery, but in her case, necesssary.

She wouldnt even let us get near her rear anymore :( daily cleanings, and infections - she was a very uncomfortable pup :( she is 100% happier now (post surgery)

The 'scooting' could be caused by Anal Glands too . . .

a trip to the Vet will definitely let you know either way.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep... that would be a tail pocket.... you are doing the right thing, keep that up and it will keep the infection away, but not the itching/ "stevie Wonder'

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Hi there if this is a new bully for you is say a vet visit is in order anyway just for a checkup. Sarah will spin when her tailpocket itches or when she needs her glands done. Her glands are also combined with paw licking. Her Tp used to stay yeasty but now I rarely have to clean it. I use malaket wipes gets bacteria n yeast. I also use generic benadryl cream if its itchy. Kills the itch. Since this is a girl keep a watch on the lady bits folds. I check sarahs every so often to clean if dirty n one time she had red n itchy as she had yeast there. Keep us updated

operationajax

Feb 16, 2012
Connecticut
Bulldog(s) Names
Axl
I say tail pocket....I clean my bully's tail pocket everyday with soap and water and dry it thoroughly. I then get a napkin and place Gold Bond powder onto it [great for keeping the tail pocket dry and it is medicated making it the perfect solution for keeping it free from future problems] I then wipe the tail pocket making sure the Gold Bond powder is sticking onto the pocket itself. Prior to cleaning and powdering my bully was getting yeast in this section of his body. Since we have been cleaning and powdering no more yeast@@

OP
marianne

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
First she has been to the vet....she was in ok condition....oozing incision from her spay and some skin issues....and her boobs almost dragging the ground...now with good food, exercise and loving home you wouldn't know she's the same dog...I believe she is not healthy & happy

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hope you can find the right things to help, I use malecetic otic after baths and a good drying. None of ours are deep and most of my bullies have none though. [MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] has some great tips on tail pockets!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
for sarahs tp i use malaket wipes and benadryl cream for itching. ive also used unscented baby wipes with some generic benadryl cream for itching. depends on whether its red and swollen or just itchy. sarah gets yeast in hers sometimes.

Libbygirl

Jul 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Libby
My bulldog did the same thing, make sure you are wiping under that tail fold at least every three day, also buy youself some unscented baby wipes, you can use on tail fold, and use around her, well how do i say this, vulva area. it can collect dirt in some female bulldogs, make it itchy and cause uti's. Im speaking from experience on this one. i wipe her tail and private area at least every three days. Good Luck.

lovemybully

Sep 14, 2011
If Jenna does the "Stevie wonder" it may be bcuz she is uncomfy. My bully would do the same and it was awful. I had her nub docked (tail cut). She's much better now.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.