Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 24 of 24

Thread: Breathing problems as of recent

  1. #13
    Newbie operationajax's Avatar
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    17
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Axl
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Breathing problems as of recent

    The name of the vet in Staten Island is
    Richmond Valley Animal Hospital
    Dr. Kinnear or Dr. Esposito
    Stanten Island, NY
    718-948-3331

    Staten Island is kind of far from me. Would like to take him somewhere within our state if possible. With regards to the soft pallet, I did some research and kind of ruled out the trachea and moved the soft pallet into the number one spot. Reason for this was that after my bully eats he likes to play. When I play with him after he eats he starts to cough like he is clearing his throat. There have been times where we continued to play after him coughing and he threw up. Since observing this action we don't play anymore after he eats in order for him to keep his food in his belly. But never the less this is one thing that I never looked at as being part of the equation with regards to his current problem of panting like he ran a marathon. I'm a newbie bully owner but have learned tons since I owning my bully. Anyway, my educated guess is that my bully has an elongated/soft pallet issue but only a qualified vet can concur. I used the link
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...endations.html but did not find a vet near me. The closest one was Staten Island as pointed out by 2bullymama which is a bit of a car ride [about two hours depending on the traffic]. Will be searching for a qualified bully vet but if anyone knows/hears of one in Connecticut [Western located preferred or nearby New York near the Brewster area] I would appreciate it!!

  2. #14
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,153
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11484

    Default Re: Breathing problems as of recent

    @operationajax I know two hours sounds like a lot, but if he needs the surgery you definitely want a very experience bulldog vet on this -- think about making that ride. i did it for our boy so i know what you mean about a long trip, but in the end it will be more than worth it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. #15
    ..........
    Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,495
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Breathing problems as of recent

    @operationajax I have to ask, because I couldn't find mention of it in the previous posts. Do you use a collar or a harness when you walk him?

    I ask because it occurred to me I've heard of Several people's bullies that have experienced issues like you are describing using a collar. it puts pressure on the trachea.

    We only use harnesses for HRH. And after learning of the difficulties that's all we will use. Any "collar" she will wear will be for decoration only not use in leading.
    Last edited by LariP; 07-06-2012 at 11:37 PM.

  4. #16
    Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    ChanelnBrutus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,077
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Breathing problems as of recent

    Quote Originally Posted by operationajax View Post
    The name of the vet in Staten Island is
    Richmond Valley Animal Hospital
    Dr. Kinnear or Dr. Esposito
    Stanten Island, NY
    718-948-3331

    Staten Island is kind of far from me. Would like to take him somewhere within our state if possible. With regards to the soft pallet, I did some research and kind of ruled out the trachea and moved the soft pallet into the number one spot. Reason for this was that after my bully eats he likes to play. When I play with him after he eats he starts to cough like he is clearing his throat. There have been times where we continued to play after him coughing and he threw up. Since observing this action we don't play anymore after he eats in order for him to keep his food in his belly. But never the less this is one thing that I never looked at as being part of the equation with regards to his current problem of panting like he ran a marathon. I'm a newbie bully owner but have learned tons since I owning my bully. Anyway, my educated guess is that my bully has an elongated/soft pallet issue but only a qualified vet can concur. I used the link
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...endations.html but did not find a vet near me. The closest one was Staten Island as pointed out by 2bullymama which is a bit of a car ride [about two hours depending on the traffic]. Will be searching for a qualified bully vet but if anyone knows/hears of one in Connecticut [Western located preferred or nearby New York near the Brewster area] I would appreciate it!!
    This is the best known vet in the area! We drove about 1 hr and half when Brutus had emergency surgery and he stayed for 4 days. We drove this everyday for 4 days! Its so worth it knowing they are in great hands with experience.
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

  5. #17
    Newbie operationajax's Avatar
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    17
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Axl
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Breathing problems as of recent

    LariP---No, I don't use a leash but DO use a harness. I know all about the reasons not to use a typical leash on a bully. My bully has used a harness since we purchased the little guy. At 70 lbs a leash would have choked him...thank goodness for the harness as it has been a very useful piece of equipment to say the least! Thanks for the question. By the way, Princess Gracie looks sweet in her too-too.

  6. #18
    Newbie operationajax's Avatar
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    17
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Axl
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Breathing problems as of recent

    I found a vet in Connecticut. A bit far from my residence but my question is, has anyone heard anything about this particular vet? After reading all of the staff bios the person that has knowledge of bulldogs is Tara Pitura who is a Practice Manager, what ever that is. Here is the contact info;

    Animal Medical Clinic
    200 Sheldon Road
    Manchester, CT 06042
    860-646-1110

    Link to their staff information;
    http://www.animalmedicalclinicct.com/staff.php
    Last edited by operationajax; 07-07-2012 at 12:05 AM.

  7. #19
    Newbie operationajax's Avatar
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    17
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Axl
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Breathing problems as of recent

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanelnBrutus View Post
    This is the best known vet in the area! We drove about 1 hr and half when Brutus had emergency surgery and he stayed for 4 days. We drove this everyday for 4 days! Its so worth it knowing they are in great hands with experience.
    I will take this into consideration when determining which vet to take my little guy. Good to know they are well knowledgeable with regards to bullies!! By the way, what was wrong with Brutus that required him to undergo surgery?

  8. #20
    Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    ChanelnBrutus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,077
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Breathing problems as of recent

    Quote Originally Posted by operationajax View Post
    I will take this into consideration when determining which vet to take my little guy. Good to know they are well knowledgeable with regards to bullies!! By the way, what was wrong with Brutus that required him to undergo surgery?
    Brutus was very agressive with his humping and he prolapsed his urethra. It was a coupel drops here and there and vet said no worries right now we will wait as long as we can to nuetuer...Didnt go well I woke up on a Wed morning with Brutus covered in blood. Went to our normal vet who then sent us to the specialist to perform the surgery. It was very expsensive and very invasive for Brutus. Poor guy was prolapsed by 5-6 cm which is a lot...He did relaspe and prolaspe again (normal) but b/c he was neutuered at the same time he wont bleed anymore. The prolapse now is just about 1cm now so the Dr said no need to do another surgery if he isnt bleeding...I talk alot and ramble but you asked for it lol
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

  9. #21
    Newbie operationajax's Avatar
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    17
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Axl
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Breathing problems as of recent

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanelnBrutus View Post
    Brutus was very agressive with his humping and he prolapsed his urethra. It was a coupel drops here and there and vet said no worries right now we will wait as long as we can to nuetuer...Didnt go well I woke up on a Wed morning with Brutus covered in blood. Went to our normal vet who then sent us to the specialist to perform the surgery. It was very expsensive and very invasive for Brutus. Poor guy was prolapsed by 5-6 cm which is a lot...He did relaspe and prolaspe again (normal) but b/c he was neutuered at the same time he wont bleed anymore. The prolapse now is just about 1cm now so the Dr said no need to do another surgery if he isnt bleeding...I talk alot and ramble but you asked for it lol
    Didn't know anything about prolapsed urethras and was not quite sure about what you were talking about until I did my own research on the topic. Very interesting to say the least as I have never heard of this subject matter that can occur in dogs OR humansl! And no, you don't talk a lot, as I personally like details in such stories. Makes it interesting and I learned something today which I try to do on a daily basis.

    Glad to hear Brutus is doing well...he is a cute little guy!! Just keep him away from the female bullys in your area...lol!!
    Last edited by operationajax; 07-08-2012 at 05:21 AM.

  10. #22
    Newbie operationajax's Avatar
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    17
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Axl
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Breathing problems as of recent

    On a side note, I read the following and surmised that my bully might fall into this category since he does have the breathing difficulty symptom and does have the hacking cough at times when playing and or gets excited. Any thoughts?

    Here are the symptoms of kennel cough;
    The signs of kennel cough can vary greatly. The most common symptom is a hacking cough. It may sound as if your dog is trying to clear something from her throat. Sometimes the coughing causes retching or the vomiting of fluid, and is often worsened when your pooch becomes excited or active.
    Additional symptoms can include:
    • Irritated eyes
    • Runny nose
    • Dog Sneezing
    • Loss of appetite
    • Depression
    • Fever
    • Breathing difficulty

  11. #23
    Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    ChanelnBrutus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,077
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Breathing problems as of recent

    Quote Originally Posted by operationajax View Post
    Interesting information to say the least. Didn't know anything about prolapsed urethras and was not quite sure about what you were talking about until I did my own research on the topic. Very interesting to say the least as I have never heard of this subject matter that can occur in dogs OR humansl! And no, you don't talk a lot, as I personally like details in such stories. Makes it interesting to say the least and I learned something today which I try to do on a daily basis.

    Glad to hear Brutus is doing well...he is a cute little guy!! Just keep him away from the female bullys in your area...lol!!
    Well thank goodness since he was nutuered he no longer humps anything He doesnt even lift his leg and he is already 12 months My little stinker! Hope everything works out with Axl...We are here if you need anything
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

  12. #24
    Newbie operationajax's Avatar
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    17
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Axl
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Breathing problems as of recent

    LOL...sorry for the delayed response....I use a harness only!! I know of the consequences of using a leash and therefore only use a harness. Thanks for your question and concern. As of today we don't have any issues breathing and have advised my vet of my bully's problem which we are now taking a position of watching/monitoring it closely. Should any changes occur we will be taking notes and seeing the vet again to see what the sitrep is. Most likely it is his treachea but again the vet wants to take things slowly and see his reaction to the weather this summer, which by the way he spends all of his time indoors with the a/c on when hot out [indoor temp 68 degrees farenheit]. He only goes out during the days to pee and poop and then takes a small stroll late in the evening when the outside temp drops.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •