Help! Foot problem...

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
This is way over my head. Thor has always been a mild paw-biter, and i suspect he has a chicken allergy because this greatly intensifies whenever he eats chicken or chicken based foods (which is why we don't feed them!). About a month ago I switched him from Earthborn meadowfeast to Fromm Beef frittata, and whether coincidental or not he really started to chew on his paws more and more and itch his ears more. I took him to the vet about a week ago since he had started to chew them to the point of bleeding. He chews them at random times during the day, while I'm gone, while I'm there petting him. The vet didn't do any tests but told me to monitor and call if it got worse. Tomorrow I am getting him some dog boots to wear at the park and switching him back to meadowfeast, since he showed the least amount of itchiness on that food. i don't know if it's a potato thing.
Today I noticed that he's partially chewed off two of his paw pads. I feel so horrible. I don't know what to do since it's raw skin, I don't want to put anything on there that shouldn't go on raw skin. Tomorrow he will have boots so he won't lick medication off. Should I take him back to the vet, or will they just tell me 'monitor and call us back'? I don't want to pay for another exam where nothing gets done, if I can use that money for things to make him feel better instead. Does anyone know what I can put on the raw paw pads to make him comfy and make them heal? Or to make them less itchy?
Also, how can I tell if this has developed into a fungal infection, yeast infection, etc.? Sorry for all the questions and the huge text block. I'm at my wits' end and don't know what to do for him. :begging:

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
Pan sometimes chews at his feet too. We noticed small bumps between his toes, and in a few days his feet hurt him so much he could barely walk. And it happened so fast!

When I took him to the vet they did a scrap test and he has bacteria growing in between his toes. So they prescribed Cephalexin for the bacteria and a steroid, Prednisolone, to help him feel better. But even though his feet are better now, they are still really rough so every night I slather his paws with utter cream and put booties on him.

I'm not sure about what to put on an open wound. I would suggest at minimum cleaning them the best you can and wrapping them up to prevent infection. Also, pull out the trusty e-collar to prevent him from causing anymore damage.

But if his feet are bothering him enough for him to self-mutilate, I think a trip to the vet may be in order.

In my experience a yeast infection will have a really bad odor.

Good luck!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I have no wisdom at all for you. Just wanted to say I am sorry that your pups are going through this and I'm glad you're here so we can all learn.

I'm sure someone will be along with some additional experience to share with you on this topic.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hey there! I am so sorry to hear about this!

First I would certainly try going back to Earthborn, it could be potatos or beef or could be purely coincidence, but I doubt it. The timing is right so that would be a good first step.

Second I would call your vet and ask the to prescribe antibiotics. If they tell you he needs to be seen I would tell them that is perfectly fine, but you will not be paying an additional exam fee. Explain you already brought him in for this and were given nothing to help him and it has gotten worse and they need to rectify the situation! I cannot believe with all the possible things available they did not give you anything at all.

More than likely it is bacteria or probably both bacteria and yeast, from the chewing and slobber the feet will stay moist and be a great breeding ground for both. While you are there you should ask for an anti bacterial and antifungal shampoo like pharmeseb and I would also ask for Panalog ointment. As far as the open wound, I think a over the counter antibiotic cream like neosphorin. But it needs to be clean and DRY. Blow dry if needed before putting boots on because putting them on wet moist feet will only make it worse. this upsets me that they did nothing and your baby is suffering because of it. I would also be looking into a new vet!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=4152]kaikousha[/MENTION] I've been putting the gold listerine on Bruin's paws when he licks....BUT he doesn't have open wounds...so just a suggestion for when Thor's paws heal and you notice him licking. I just put some on a cotton pad and do a quick swipe in his paws and in between the toes.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Sometimes there are hidden ingredients in kibble foods and additives that make dogs itchy,double check the kibble if there is bonemeal for instance,if he's allergic to chicken then as chicken is the cheapest meat / bone then sometimes it's used,try keep his paws as clean as possible hard I know,I would be putting colloidal silver on them ,it kills all the nasties and if he licks it off it won't hurt him,karen

OP
kaikousha

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
Thank you all for your replies and advice. I called the vet's office this morning and asked for a doctor callback about assessing his situation and getting him some prescriptions. I'm pretty mad at myself that i didn't just make him go full steam ahead with diagnostics when I had him at the vet's last week.
What exactly does yellow listerine do? Does it taste bad to them? I'm guessing it disinfects as well? most importantly, if they do ingest it via licking, is it harmful?
It doesn't look like he chewed his pads again last night - the part that was raw yesterday is scabbing over so I'm crossing my fingers.
With neosporin and panalog, i'm guessing i just need to either bandage the wound afterwards or put him in a cone so he doesn't ingest it, is that right?
Again, thanks everyone :(

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Thank you all for your replies and advice. I called the vet's office this morning and asked for a doctor callback about assessing his situation and getting him some prescriptions. I'm pretty mad at myself that i didn't just make him go full steam ahead with diagnostics when I had him at the vet's last week.
What exactly does yellow listerine do? Does it taste bad to them? I'm guessing it disinfects as well? most importantly, if they do ingest it via licking, is it harmful?
It doesn't look like he chewed his pads again last night - the part that was raw yesterday is scabbing over so I'm crossing my fingers.
With neosporin and panalog, i'm guessing i just need to either bandage the wound afterwards or put him in a cone so he doesn't ingest it, is that right?
Again, thanks everyone :(

The Listerine should act as a disinfectant. IT will kill any bacteria that might be growing there. As for it harming them in some way, the alcohol in it will evaporate as soon as it dries so it won't hurt him at all.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.