Parvo

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
What is the chances my puppy will get parvo from my closed off / fenced backyard?

My breeder saw pictures of my Ari in my backyard and sent me a email warning me not to let him onto my yard because of the fear of parvo. My vet gave me the okay to let him out in my backyard. I use it mostly for potty training purposes. Very limited play time in yard.

So I googled the risks, and says that birds can carry over the virus from yard to yard. I know it is possible, but what is the likely chance of that happening? I believe, if that I keep my Ari indoors FOREVER (until all vaccinations are done sometime in the beginning of August) then I would deprive him of proper potty training and decent exercise.

So who is right? My breeder.... Or My Vet & I? haha

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi! I can only tell you what my vet said. Any place other critters can cross or come into is not safe. No rides in shopping carts at petco..nothing. Our front yard was a no no..because it wasn't fenced..but our back yard was ok.

Mountainlover

Jun 19, 2012
North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I would like to know what you all think too. Our yard is not fenced. It has an invisible fence, but we don't use it anymore. One of us always goes outside when the dogs are out. My vet has never told me I couldn't take any of our puppies in our own, unfenced, backyard. Is the risk very high?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
All I can tell you is what we ahve always done with our puppies .... and that is keep them away from anywhere except our fenced in backyard ..... :yes:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
call your vet and ask the number of cases they've seen in your area, if it has become a problem in your area, they can let you know. In fact you can call all the vets in your area. I check a site for Lyme, Rabies, and West Nile diseases, it gives me the number of case's by month and year in each county.

I didn't walk my pups or take them away from home before all three inoculations, I also have a fenced in yard so that wasn't a concern to me.
hope this helps in some way.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My vet said stay away from dog parks, walking outside in the neighborhood but did not say anything about back yard. I have block walls anyway so no way could any dog get in or out. They only went out to potty anyways.

Texkota

Jun 21, 2012
South Riding, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Renzo
You should be fine in your backyard for now. Just keep him out of the front yard and no walks or trips until a couple of weeks after all of his shots.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
If you live in an area with skunks..raccoons ..etc..and your yard isn't fenced..be extra careful! These wild critters carry everything!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
There's always a small risk even in a backyard,humans can bring it into the home on shoes so just let your pup play in the yard and enjoy ,karen

OP
BIJAH

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
Yeah, Ari is limited to only our backyard. He seems to love the outdoors too, always wanting to stay active out there. I guess I will take that small risk of birds spreading from yard to yard. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst!

mistshadow

Dec 30, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Athena and Ty
I also had the same concerns when we got Athena. So I asked my vet about and they told me to keep her home and no walks away from our house till she got all her shots. We had play dates with our friends dogs but we made sure they were up to date on their dogs shots before we let her go to their house. And we never walked her there, we drove her and made her stay in their yard when we were there or in the house.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our vet always said the same... no contact with other animals and no place other than back yard (supervised) till after all shots,,,, why risk it

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I read this and just called the local vet here and got some good info! He said that as long as its a fenched yard and you dont let any other animals come around tell they at least get the second shot in the series you should be ok. Parvo is always a risk but pretty much he said to be home bound with your pup take them outside to potty and that is it. Also he told me the cases they have delt with here the past year have been from unvaccinated animals and he also mentioned it can live in soil for up to 10 years. So it just like with a new born human baby you stay at home a lot the first few weeks. So scary though!

OP
BIJAH

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
I have been playing fetch and practicing with the lead around my small backyard. He has been really sniffin the lawn and dirt, kind of gettin me worried. But he is doing really well with potty training and he enjoys the lawn and sun. He will get his 2nd shot on the 11th so hopefully everything stays well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.