New Puppy safe around another dog going through Chemotherapy

blondee

Jul 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure yet!
Hi - We're getting ready for a new baby bulldog to join our family and we're so excited. I have been doing a lot of reading about bringing home your new puppy and a lot of people say that you should keep the puppy away from other dogs for a couple weeks/months until its immune system is fully developed. My situation is that I work in an office where i'm able to bring my puppy into work with me, but my co-worker has a dog that is currently going through Chemotherapy. I was just wondering if anyone has any information on if this would be safe or not for our new baby. I would never want to put it in danger of it's health. I have read that it is okay for dogs going through Chemotherapy to be around other dogs, but i'm concerned because it will be so young.

If anyone has any feedback, I would really appreciate it!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi Blondee! I honestly don't know the answer to specifically being around a dog going thru chemo..but in general I wouldn't take a new pup around anyplace where other dogs are until their entire series of vaccinations are one. not JUST the dogs..but the Enviroment where other dogs have been. I think it's about 3 plus months before they are fully protected. My vet said absolutely no to even our own unfenced front yard. I would say better to be safe than sorry!

I did :welcome: you already..but I can't wait to meet your new family member!

OP
B

blondee

Jul 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure yet!
Hi! Thanks for your response to my question regarding Chemo. I've been searching everywhere for an answer and can't find anything! I wanted to ask you if you know of any threads about leaving your new puppy at home while at work? :( it really breaks my heart to think that we may have to leave her in a crate at home for a couple hours while we're at work but i'm so nervous of her being at risk around this other dog.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi! Thanks for your response to my question regarding Chemo. I've been searching everywhere for an answer and can't find anything! I wanted to ask you if you know of any threads about leaving your new puppy at home while at work? :( it really breaks my heart to think that we may have to leave her in a crate at home for a couple hours while we're at work but i'm so nervous of her being at risk around this other dog.

We all hate to leave them! But honestly she will be fine! I have a great website that answers lots of these questions..I'll go and try to link it to you! Be back!

www.canismajor.com

There are tons of topics..especially for new pups!

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

I don't know the answer to your question but decided to say :welcome: anyway. Maybe this is something a vet could answer for you. I'd phone them and ask their advice. As for leaing her at home for a few hours whilst your at work...she will be just fine :hug:and others will pop by soon with advise about that too xx

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hello and Welcome! I am by far no expert, but the main reason for not taking your new baby out into the public is to protect them from being exposed to illnesses and parasites that might be spread from unvaccinated/unwormed dogs. My guess would be that your co-workers probably takes very good care of their dog and that they are under vet care if they are going through chemo, so they probably do not have anything that could be contagious to your new pup. I'd ask my vet for their opinion when your baby goes for its first check up jus to ease your worries. On the other hand, I am very pro-kennel/crate and believe that crate training makes house training much easier, as it encourages bladder control and keeps your baby safe. There is nothing wrong with leaving your new pup in a safe secure crate for several hours at a time. If they are like my guy, they will just catch up on their napping while you are away and will be ready to play when you get home. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:welcome: It was a full 4 1/2 months before Brutus went where other dogs/animals were. I know you are scared to leave her alone but she will be just fine and probably sleep the whole entire time :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online