Can You Believe this???

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
So my Vegas needs his anal glands expressed, my regular vet is out of town til Monday and had another vet filling in for him. I took Vegas today to get expressed (My vet is a walk in and wait your turn vet) AND VERY GOOD WITH AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN WITH VEGAS!!, Anyway, I waited, got into the room and told the vet what I needed done and the vet told me "NO" I would have to wait til Monday when Dr. Butler was back that she did NOT do that, especially with an English Bulldog, because he has no tail. I was VERY surprised AND upset because it is really bothering him (and me while he is wipeing his behind all over my carpet!! I can not wait to tell Dr. Butler I am sure he will not like her practice or ethics either!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Good question [MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] - what does a tail have to do with it?

@Kikiwhoa - expressing the anal glads is when the doctor (or vet tech, or groomer, or owner) puts a finger in the dog's butthole and applies some gentle pressure in the right spots to relieve the anal glands, which let out one most disgusting looking and smelling substances known to man. For some dogs, the glands are naturally expressed when the dog poops but others need a little help.

It's a very standard procedure and I can't imagine why someone would refuse.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would be Livid for wasting you time and fuel!!! And making him uncomfortable until Monday!!!!

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I am pissed!!! He is uncomfortable and I take the best of care, I found through this site, why he was rubbing his behind all over my carpet, and so therefore that is why I took him. I KNOW my regular vet will not be happy, he loves Vegas and has been a great vet since I got him. I guess it is easier with a dog that has anal problems, that has a tail, they can hold it up and massage the anal glands and I guess stuff comes out?, well my Vegas has a "flap" so therefore it requires the Vet to actually stick his finger in his anus and express what is built up, BELIEVE ME, I have learned all this on this site, I was wondering why all of a sudden he started wipeing his behind on my carpet????? I am not happy and did not have a "charge" today and why would I when a VET could NOT do her job??? I guess it is common with this breed and many others????

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Well, thank goodness you weren't charged. That was going to be my question, but you just answered that. Too bad that vet can't pay you for your wasted time and gas to go over there and wait to see her. I bet your regular vet won't have her filling in for him again! Sometimes holiday week-ends can just be a big pain!

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
WOW! I can't believe a VET would have the nerve to say "No" !
Very gutsy on her part indeed!

But the truth of the matter is NO VET likes expressing anal glands on any dog, Bulldog or other breed. They don't. They do not like it. They probably will never admit it to you, but one ER VET did admit it to me. She did it, but expressed the overall feeling of most VETS - They don't like to do it !

The goal is for US to learn how to do it, and WE are supposed to express the anal glands. Thats what my VET told me, and that is the information in most of the "BULLDOG DOG CARE BOOKS".

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
WOW! I can't believe a VET would have the nerve to say "No" !
Very gutsy on her part indeed!

But the truth of the matter is NO VET likes expressing anal glands on any dog, Bulldog or other breed. They don't. They do not like it. They probably will never admit it to you, but one ER VET did admit it to me. She did it, but expressed the overall feeling of most VETS - They don't like to do it !

The goal is for US to learn how to do it, and WE are supposed to express the anal glands. Thats what my VET told me, and that is the information in most of the "BULLDOG DOG CARE BOOKS".

I just don't understand it, If they charge a fee, then what is the problem? They can't use the excuse that we should learn how. After all they have no problems charging for clipping nails. If anything should be learned and done at home, I feel nails trump anal glands. When I first learned about anal glands (my springer years ago) it was from my vet expressing them for me. He then told me about them and told be to watch out for it they get swollen again, to bring him in.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I just don't understand it, If they charge a fee, then what is the problem? They can't use the excuse that we should learn how. After all they have no problems charging for clipping nails. If anything should be learned and done at home, I feel nails trump anal glands. When I first learned about anal glands (my springer years ago) it was from my vet expressing them for me. He then told me about them and told be to watch out for it they get swollen again, to bring him in.

[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] Totally off topic but what are springer spaniels like? We've discussed getting one before. Are they super high energy? Or at least any more than a lab?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
My ex has always had Springers. They have energy, but not much more than the typical dog. I would consider them a lot like a lab. They are not at all like Irish Setters, which I have heard are very hyper. Very loving, smart and loyal dogs. It was my first experience with something other than a bulldog (which is what I grew up with) A lot of grooming due to their feathers and his ears being long got yeasty a lot. But he loved water and playing etc. Great family pup for when the boys were little. Gordon was Black and White, very beautiful.

HighDesertBulldogs

Mar 23, 2010
Northern California near the Oregon border
Bulldog(s) Names
Nitro, Sierra & Reina
I've always expressed my own dogs anal glands but then I learned how to do it working in a grooming shop as an assistant groomer during summers as a teenager. I don't go inside the anus though, I do them completely from the outside. Most breed of dogs I did with them standing up but with Bulldogs I find it's best with them laying on their side. I don't even use a glove. I grab around the outside of the lower end of the anus remembering the glands are at 4 and 8 o'clock position and I dig my fingers with both hands down into the skin as hard as I can to get in and behind the glands and squeeze a few times (like squeezing a pimple) moving my fingers around to make sure I got it all squeezed out. I lay a few paper towels on the ground because a lot of times it comes shooting out. Doing it yourself this way is easy and not as gross as having to go inside the anus. When I see my dogs chasing their behind, twirling on their butts or backing up to something to scratch their behinds on then I know it's time to express their glands.

Susan

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.