Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can You Believe this???

Quote Originally Posted by Bella'sMom View Post
    I just don't understand it, If they charge a fee, then what is the problem? They can't use the excuse that we should learn how. After all they have no problems charging for clipping nails. If anything should be learned and done at home, I feel nails trump anal glands. When I first learned about anal glands (my springer years ago) it was from my vet expressing them for me. He then told me about them and told be to watch out for it they get swollen again, to bring him in.
    @Bella'sMom Totally off topic but what are springer spaniels like? We've discussed getting one before. Are they super high energy? Or at least any more than a lab?

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

My ex has always had Springers. They have energy, but not much more than the typical dog. I would consider them a lot like a lab. They are not at all like Irish Setters, which I have heard are very hyper. Very loving, smart and loyal dogs. It was my first experience with something other than a bulldog (which is what I grew up with) A lot of grooming due to their feathers and his ears being long got yeasty a lot. But he loved water and playing etc. Great family pup for when the boys were little. Gordon was Black and White, very beautiful.

Always with me

Northern California near the Oregon border
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nitro, Sierra & Reina
    Likes (Received)

I've always expressed my own dogs anal glands but then I learned how to do it working in a grooming shop as an assistant groomer during summers as a teenager. I don't go inside the anus though, I do them completely from the outside. Most breed of dogs I did with them standing up but with Bulldogs I find it's best with them laying on their side. I don't even use a glove. I grab around the outside of the lower end of the anus remembering the glands are at 4 and 8 o'clock position and I dig my fingers with both hands down into the skin as hard as I can to get in and behind the glands and squeeze a few times (like squeezing a pimple) moving my fingers around to make sure I got it all squeezed out. I lay a few paper towels on the ground because a lot of times it comes shooting out. Doing it yourself this way is easy and not as gross as having to go inside the anus. When I see my dogs chasing their behind, twirling on their butts or backing up to something to scratch their behinds on then I know it's time to express their glands.

Susan

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

Yup, exactly what HighDesert said to do. I also groomed dogs as a teenager and I was going to describe it as like "squeezing a pimple" too. I always did it while batheing the dog. So if they "shoot" or "spray", they're in the tub, so you can easily rinse it down the drain.

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Very interesting on how to do it yourself. I still think I will pass at this point tho. hehe. I am completely shocked to hear this vet said no. And My pug has a tail and the vet still does his glands from inside so I am not sure what all that is about. What a jerk. Didnt they ask when you signed in what the visit was for? If he preferred to not do them they should have at least told you when you got there. I would be so mad!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I've never done it to a dog but I did have to do it to a cat...that was fun.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Olaf & Ivana
    Likes (Received)

You know that would be like me having a patient that is impacted and saying no I will not digitally remove it! That is crazy. I would also be very angry and would let the regular vet know. Luckily olaf had his done when we left him with our breeder =^)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads