Nail Biting

Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
Hello all fellow bully lovers,

My Bruno has developed an odd habit. I've noticed on several occasions Bruno trying to chew his thumb nail off (don't know the technical term for this). He hasn't done any damage because I don't think he can get his little teeth around it to do so. Has anyone else experienced this type of behaviour. Any suggestions as to how I can stop him doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Gloria

p.s. I have re-posted this here as I think I posted in the wrong forum before.

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
My german shepherd, Mayhem, does this. I honestly think she does it out of boredom. The other dogs will be asleep, she'll get bored with her toys and then just lay down and bite at her nails. Drives me nuts when she does it at night. Our vet thinks it's a boredom thing also with her.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm afraid I don't have any wisdom for you except to say that excessive paw licking can be from other things; yeast, interdigital cyst, etc. If you've ruled out anything medical, can you try to redirect her to chew on something like a flavored Nylabone or ?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Paw licking and nail biting can be habitual but when they do this they build up germs in between their toes. This can be the cause or the effect, but if it gets bacteria or cysts it can lead to a huge battle on your part. I would wash the paw often with antibacterial soap just to be sure. Dry thoroughly afterwards.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus used to bite his paws and lick his paws alot before we switched his food. What kind of food is he eating? Does he scratch at all ?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Brutus used to bite his paws and lick his paws alot before we switched his food. What kind of food is he eating? Does he scratch at all ?

Agreed! :yes:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with the others.... food allergy or bacteria . ask your vet about a full blood screen allergy test

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
You mentioned his "thumbnail" specifically, sometimes when dewclaws are too long dogs will worry them... If the dews are long maybe a trim will help....

OP
Bruno and Gidget
Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
Thanks everyone! I'll check with vet re blood screen and who knows, the dewclaw may be too long. Appreciate the feedback.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.