Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
That's simply amazing! I'm so happy for you and Butler...glad he's feeling better:)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have been following this thread and im estatic that he is improving. i will pray for continued improvement. awsome.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I gave butler the gabapentin last night as soon as I got home. After a couple hours he started wanting to walk. So he struggled to move around and I helped him. He wanted so bad to be my shadow like usual. I made him sit still though. Then I was eating and he was SUPER interested! So I fed him and gave him water. I had him diapered up so he could pee without going outside. We went to bed and I woke him up this mining and he didn't pee his diaper. So I took him outside and he peed and pooped on his own! We have a dr appointment tomorrow. :)

WONDERFUL.... so hope the Gabapentin is the answer. Banks does well on it and without it we totally notice a difference.

Keep us posted

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
So happy to hear Butler is doing better. Please let us know what the vet says.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I'm late to the thread, but I am happy to know he's doing better! Please keep us updated, we're all pulling for him! Big hugs to you both :hug:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm just getting in on this too. Be sure to share what the vet says and stuff for those of us who have no experience with this condition. Your details could help someone else down the road!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] how is butler today?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for the love and well wishes and prayers.

Butler has been improving each day with the Gabapentin. It is like a miracle! I honestly thought I was going to have to say goodbye to him on wednesday because he could not walk and did not want to drink or eat. He had no response to me pinching his paw pads and was totally listless. I'm so glad [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] and many others recommended Gabapentin.

We went to the vet today and he did some tests. The valley fever that Butler has been fighting for 2.5 years has moved into his brain tissue. This is what is causing the drunk like walking, ataxia, and his really bad head tilt (i thought he was crooking his neck to the right because it hurt, but it's all neurological). Butler had a very very severe case of valley fever, and even though most of it has been eradicated, he will never be free of it. The anti fungal medicine (fluconazole) has been effective in killing a lot of the fungus in most of Butler's tissues, BUT the brain tissue is the hardest for the medicine to get to (it also takes the fungus a long time to make it's way to the brain), so that's why even after all this time and much improvement, we are just now seeing effects of the fungus on his brain.

The vet confirmed the neurological condition because Butler was showing "CP Defecit" which is conscious proprioreception which in human speak means that the brain doesn't know or sense where the limbs are. Butler was doing something called knuckling, that's where if the foot or paw is flipped over, the dog doesn't correct it by flipping it back to normal position. He was walking on his hind left paw (fur side down) and he was dragging it.

So The vet wants to give steroids a try since that is not something we have done yet. We are stopping metacam completely and only relying on Gabapentin for pain management. We are taking Prednisone as the steroid and Fluconazole still for the anti fungal. He also uses Optimmune in his left eye because it no longer produces tears which happened 2.5 years after his cherry eye surgery.

He's doing so much better. He has his appetite back and he is following me everywhere and being extremely cuddly. He even tried to chase my roommate's cat! :) I am so relieved. My heart was completely broken at the thought of losing him.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh this is awsome. im so glad your baby is doing better. i hope the new meds will help him fight the valley fever.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] - Thank you SO MUCH for the detailed update. I am thrilled that this forum was able to help you so directly. When I first read your first post, I too also felt pretty hopeless about the situation. Amazing results.

Valley Fever sounds horrible. I looked it up "google" and holy cow. Poor boy!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.