Not walking not eating not drinking

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Hi guys! I know it's been a very long time since I have posted, but I've had so much going on. I really need everyone's help/advice/opinion.

Butler is not walking. It's like his back legs don't work at all. Like they have no feeling. I took him to the vet a few weeks ago because he started walking like he was drunk. The vet gave us some metacam and tramadol for his pain. She said to stop the pain medicine and see what happened. So I kept him on it for a couple weeks, then took him off. He got bad again, so I started it up again. He's had good days and bad, more bad though. The vet told me that she thinks the valley fever that he's been fighting for 2.5 years has deteriorated his cervical spine to the point where discs are bulging or slipping and it's causing him to not feel his legs or interrupting the communication between his brain and legs.
Today he has not been able to walk at all, he can't even stumble. I carry him and put him down and he just collapses. He hasn't had any water to drink at all, even if I try to give him ice cubes or hand feed him water. He's not interested in food either.

I don't know what to do. I'm guessing this is the end of the road for this guy. The vet said I can take him to a neurologist but I'm not sure that even matters at this point. His neck can't be regenerated and is it just unfair to keep him alive now? He can't walk or potty or eat or drink.

I'm not ready for this. I don't even know how to handle this at all. My heart is so broken :( Any advice would be appreciated.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
How awful for both of you,if you truly believe that your friend has had enough and there is no cure then you have to do something for him,it's so hard but harder to see him struggle like this,poor fella,I'm thinking bout you both ,Karen x

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Sheila..I'm so very sorry. I'm going to tell you about an experience we had with our Rottie. She was a street rescue and came to us with back trauma that didn't show up for years. One day she was in terrible pain and obviously having difficulty with her back and rear legs. She spent a weekend at our vets where they tried unsuccessfully to control her pain. They even tried a Fentanyl patch which is an end stage drug for people with terminal cancer. Nothing helped and we were beside ourselves. Our vet referred us to A teaching hospital. We picked her up from our vets and drive her for a consultation to this Specialty Group. They looked at her X-rays and did an MRI. They told us she would probably need back surgery ..but because of her past injuries, there would be no way of telling how successful it would be. They wanted to keep her overnight and monitor her.

Now for the good part..they suggested we try a brand new (for animals) drug on her that they felt might help. It's called Gabapentin. It's a nerve blocking drug. Blocks the pain sensation from the spine to the brain. It was and is used in people for seizure control. Mind you when we walked away that day..our poor Ana couldn't walk or hardly stand up. When we returned in the morning..after a single dose of Gabapentin...she walked into the examining room. We were shocked. They told us they weren't certain how long the improvement would last..all basically experimental. We decided against surgery..took her home..she was on Gabapentin..Robaxin. (muscle relaxant) and Tramadol. We found an acupuncturist for her and she soon was like her old self. The Gabapentin is given every 12 hours and must be given regularly to maintain the dosage in their system. It's relatively inexpensive...and used much more widely now in Veterinary Medicine. She lived comfortably a few more years until Bone Cancer took her from us.

I think @2BullyMama has her Banks on Gabapentin too. your vet might not be familiar with it..and I'm not certain Butler has the same cervical problem. But it is worth checking out. We did have to get it from a regular pharmacy..most vets don't carry it. If you need any more info just ask. I know how you feel right now and besides my sadness I'm hoping this may be of help. :hug:

Miss you both around here!

Last edited:

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Jakeisgreat is right, I'd check in to the Gabapentin. I have never used it in dogs but my husband takes it due to his injuries. (Parachute malfunction while serving in the Marine Corp. Fell over 500 ft and has lots of damage in his neck and back). If it wasn't for that pill he wouldn't be able to get around hardly at all.

Big hugs to you and Butler.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
My Maine Cat Harley is on Gabapentin he has a disorder that made him ( hate to say this) chew off the bottom of his very long beautiful tail and he had hypersensitivity to touch. Anyway, he is a different cat since being on it and we dont' see any side effects except good one.

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
I will ask the mobile vet about it today. In the night he peed himself and didn't even move away from it. He's just laying in it. :(

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh no, I am sorry to hear this. Nothing to add but that med sounds promising. Will be keeping fingers crossed it can help him!!! :hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sheila, I am so sad to hear this... I learned something new today myself and this drug certainly sounds worth looking into. I know how much you love Butler, and you will know when it is time. If you think you have a chance to see him be himself again, even if it is only for a couple of weeks, it may be just what you need to help you make the hardest choice. Miss you and Butler so very much! Xxoo :hug:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Praying for you and Butler. Please keeps us updated.

L

Lucy-licious

We are all here for you, no matter which path you choose. That you have acknowledged it yourself that sweet Butler may be at the end of his life, shows that you are ready to let him move on :hug: :hug: :hug:

I will be thinking of you both xx

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
He's miserable guys. I would make a video of him but it would break your hearts. I feel at this point if I treat him, it's more to keep him around for my sake. This hurts so much worse than anything I've ever felt in my life. I wish it were me instead of him.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Sheila...do what it's your heart and your head. The hardest thing to do is decide its the right time. If you feel that way then trust yourself. We always say "they will let you know"... The secret is...accepting it and trusting yourself. What worked for my girl might not even be right for him. The letting go is your final act of love for him. :hug: we will be here...

L

Lucy-licious

Oh Shiela, I am so sorry :hug: Sit down with him and show him how special he is and how much you love him :hug::hug: Is the mobile vet on his way to see him? Just snuggle down wih him until the vet arrives and call someone to be with you if you are alone xxx

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.