Help My Bully has Skin Problems!!! Hot spots / Rashes :(

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
My baby Snowy recently started getting some pink rashes around her body, mainly around her legs, a little bit on her face and ears. She's been really itchy lately, I'm not sure if its bacteria or some sort of allergy. I posted pictures so you guys can see. She also has what seems to look like hot spots under her fur (not on her stomach). They look like dry pink reddish circle patches. I do plan on taking her to the Vet this weekend when I get a chance, but if it needs immediate treatment I can call work off maybe.

She's currently on Nature's Variety Instinct Salmon, she's been on it for the last several months with no problems so I highly doubt its the food.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't stand seeing my baby Snowy in discomfort any longer.

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_8874.jpg

IMG_9507.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm thinking it's an allergy, unsure if it's food or environmental though. Have you tried giving her benedryl? I think it's 1 pink tablet (can't remember the dosage) for every 25lbs. If it's an environmental allergy, then benedryl should help a bit. Leaning more towards this seeing the weather is perfect for it.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes plain benedryl, not the kind with acetemetiphine (sp?) in it...

Nothing new to report? New toys, treats, possible bug bite, playing outside for hours, different shampoo? Think of anything being a possible trigger. New laundry soap, floor cleaner, carpet cleaner... New dog bed?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Yes plain benedryl, not the kind with acetemetiphine (sp?) in it...

Nothing new to report? New toys, treats, possible bug bite, playing outside for hours, different shampoo? Think of anything being a possible trigger. New laundry soap, floor cleaner, carpet cleaner... New dog bed?

No new toys lately, although they were never a problem, All her toys are from Nylabone, she's never outside for more than 15-25 minutes, she usually goes out just to pee or poop or to walk around a little with me. I've been using the Oatmeal shampoo that everyone recommends, she never had issues with it before. Same laundry soap, haven't cleaned the floor in several months or the carpet. She did have a new dog bed but she ripped it out so I put back her old one for now.

How much benedryl should i give? Shes about 55 pounds or so.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Dogs can become allergic over time so even though nothing has changed there can still be allergy issues,has she had any vacs,flea treatment,heart worm treatment recently?,all you can do is try figure out what is causing the reaction if indeed it is an allergy,antihistamine and nappy rash cream and if she's scratching pop a tshirt on her to stop any secondary infection,if you can keep infection away you may not need a vet just yet ,try eliminating things starting with a food change as food is usually the first culprit,karen

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
It does look like allergies and it could either be enviromental or food related...I agree with everyone about Benadryl to see if that helps...I would also have the vet run an allergy panel to see exactly what she is allergic to..It takes a lot of the guessing out and is easier. Hope everything gets better :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Ok, researched a bit. You can give 1 mg of benedryl per lb. The tablets are 25mg each, so it's safe to give Snowy 2. I used to give my Stig 1 tablet morning and night. Don't be surprised if she gets a little drowsy, it's one of the reasons why I stopped taking them myself. :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have said.... 1mg benedryl per pound of bully..... looks almost like hives

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Thanks guys im going trying the Benedryl

How serious is hives?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

How serious is hives?

If the itching continues it can become very serious. Anything from a mange infestation to severe dermatitis (skin infection) and it can happen very quickly. When Molly got the skin infection she went from perfectly fine to miserable in two days, her skin had hives and turned grey looking. Hers came from a combo of having pups, bad dog food, (low immune system from that combo) and bringing another bulldog to our home, a mistake I will always consider in the future... Stress is also a huge trigger for these things as well as contact, food or enviornmental.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Possibly grass/pollen allergies? Bubba gets this sometimes when he lays out in the grass when pollen counts are high.

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
I started giving her Benedryl a few weeks back and it did help, but these came back and look more pinkish and more obvious, what do you guys think?

20120724_202244.jpg

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=3380]EBDR35[/MENTION] Maybe she has become allergic to the salmon. I'm not sure how long it takes to become allergic to something. Maybe try the NVI lamb.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin

How serious is hives?

Looks like "outside" allergies or bug bites. When we take Dublin someplace with different grasses or tall grasses, she gets stuff like this and has had a severe case of hives. If you private message me I will send you pics of what the hives looked like. She was very sick and biggest issue was that they would block her airways. She had to take steroids to take care of them. She does take Benedryl 3 times a day. I often wonder are white bullies more prone to outside allergies?? Some people say yes, and as Dublin is mostly white I am inclined to agree....

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=3380]EBDR35[/MENTION]...I feel your pain, I really do and Mr Brutie FEELS Snowy's itchiness!
It's awful when our babies are having problems, I posted @3am, 2 days ago on
the same subject except my bully had rubbed his butt raw against an area rug
when I posted...seeing that red blood just sent me in a panic and break my heart
for him being so miserable. And I thought he was doing so well on his food. Like
you, I'm feeding a salmon diet. In researching I found most of the fish are preserved
(can't remember it's name but it causes problems) that goes into kibble that even if
the kibble is preservative free w/no additives or dyes...the fish already is...bet they
don't count it (the preservative treated fish added into a kibble that is preservative
free). This kind of thing drives all of us nuts!!! I'd always wondered WHY reactions
to salmon but I'm willing to bet, it's not the salmon causing the problems, it's the
chemical ON the salmon. So I'm taking him off his salmon food, Nature's Recipe Grain
free, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin and trying the Avoderm Grainfree I was going to get
but PetsMart was out,will be backup food as I'm going to cook up [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]
diet on weekends and keep in refrigerator and feed thru the week, I'm sick N tired of
HIDDEN and/or unknown ingredients i.e. chemicals that these bullies are reacting to,
this even in the expensive 'good' pet foods! Great idea about protecting their body
w/tee shirt, Mr Brutie's problem area is his bootie...if y'all could have seen him running
from me w/a pair of Hubby's tidy whiteys, lol Going to buy a pair of boys short pants
as those were too big and also did not come down quite long enough to protect all his
bootie. Putting him on Benedryl (he does sneeze now when he goes out so clearly has
grass allergies)...he's not hiving (Snowy's do look like hives) his hair thins out in small to
larger areas and skin greys, has a couple of rashy, pink skin areas too.

Please let us know what you do and what works for her...beautiful bullie girl!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.