Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help My Bully has Skin Problems!!! Hot spots / Rashes :(

@EBDR35 Maybe she has become allergic to the salmon. I'm not sure how long it takes to become allergic to something. Maybe try the NVI lamb.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EBDR35 View Post
    Thanks guys im going trying the Benedryl

How serious is hives?
    Looks like "outside" allergies or bug bites. When we take Dublin someplace with different grasses or tall grasses, she gets stuff like this and has had a severe case of hives. If you private message me I will send you pics of what the hives looked like. She was very sick and biggest issue was that they would block her airways. She had to take steroids to take care of them. She does take Benedryl 3 times a day. I often wonder are white bullies more prone to outside allergies?? Some people say yes, and as Dublin is mostly white I am inclined to agree....

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

@EBDR35...I feel your pain, I really do and Mr Brutie FEELS Snowy's itchiness!
    It's awful when our babies are having problems, I posted @3am, 2 days ago on
    the same subject except my bully had rubbed his butt raw against an area rug
    when I posted...seeing that red blood just sent me in a panic and break my heart
    for him being so miserable. And I thought he was doing so well on his food. Like
    you, I'm feeding a salmon diet. In researching I found most of the fish are preserved
    (can't remember it's name but it causes problems) that goes into kibble that even if
    the kibble is preservative free w/no additives or dyes...the fish already is...bet they
    don't count it (the preservative treated fish added into a kibble that is preservative
    free). This kind of thing drives all of us nuts!!! I'd always wondered WHY reactions
    to salmon but I'm willing to bet, it's not the salmon causing the problems, it's the
    chemical ON the salmon. So I'm taking him off his salmon food, Nature's Recipe Grain
    free, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin and trying the Avoderm Grainfree I was going to get
    but PetsMart was out,will be backup food as I'm going to cook up @desertskybulldogs
    diet on weekends and keep in refrigerator and feed thru the week, I'm sick N tired of
    HIDDEN and/or unknown ingredients i.e. chemicals that these bullies are reacting to,
    this even in the expensive 'good' pet foods! Great idea about protecting their body
    w/tee shirt, Mr Brutie's problem area is his bootie...if y'all could have seen him running
    from me w/a pair of Hubby's tidy whiteys, lol Going to buy a pair of boys short pants
    as those were too big and also did not come down quite long enough to protect all his
    bootie. Putting him on Benedryl (he does sneeze now when he goes out so clearly has
    grass allergies)...he's not hiving (Snowy's do look like hives) his hair thins out in small to
    larger areas and skin greys, has a couple of rashy, pink skin areas too.

Please let us know what you do and what works for her...beautiful bullie girl!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

thanks for all your tips and help guys, I guess ill trying changing her food now, I went with Salmon to begin with because i heard it does wonders to a dogs coat and stuff... and she never really had much trouble before with the food just recently in the past 2 months or so.. I want to stick with NVI since shes sort of used to it now, her stools are nice and hard

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Just a note I had Sarah on a food for 2 months when she had a severe reaction. I've had her react to simple chicken n rice can food. Just take stock of when it happens after going out after they eat after they lay on their favorite bed. Do you feed treats or other food besides the kibble. Nvi has lots of ingredient that could be culprits. Maybe consider an allergy test. Sarah is so much better now since I've had the test done. I still have to benadryl sometimes. Keep us updated

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

@EBDR35 how is your baby doing? Did you go to the vet? If at all possible, I highly suggest getting an allergy panel done. Our baby has all kinds of allergies, including dust mites. I noticed you said you hadn't cleaned the carpet or floors in a while, and though I am sure they look clean, they could be full of dust aggravating possible allergies. I learned so much from getting the allergy panel done that our bullie looks so much better (changed food, use hypoallergenic detergent when washing anything he comes into contact with, special shampoos (and not oatmeal as he is allergic to oatmeal we found out!), probiotics, and Free Form brand Fatty acids on the food), everyone who sees him now can't believe it. If it hadn't been for this forum, we may have never spent the money on the panel, and just so glad we did. I wish you and your baby well!

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    Just a note I had Sarah on a food for 2 months when she had a severe reaction. I've had her react to simple chicken n rice can food. Just take stock of when it happens after going out after they eat after they lay on their favorite bed. Do you feed treats or other food besides the kibble. Nvi has lots of ingredient that could be culprits. Maybe consider an allergy test. Sarah is so much better now since I've had the test done. I still have to benadryl sometimes. Keep us updated

Quote Originally Posted by bulliemommi View Post
    @EBDR35 how is your baby doing? Did you go to the vet? If at all possible, I highly suggest getting an allergy panel done. Our baby has all kinds of allergies, including dust mites. I noticed you said you hadn't cleaned the carpet or floors in a while, and though I am sure they look clean, they could be full of dust aggravating possible allergies. I learned so much from getting the allergy panel done that our bullie looks so much better (changed food, use hypoallergenic detergent when washing anything he comes into contact with, special shampoos (and not oatmeal as he is allergic to oatmeal we found out!), probiotics, and Free Form brand Fatty acids on the food), everyone who sees him now can't believe it. If it hadn't been for this forum, we may have never spent the money on the panel, and just so glad we did. I wish you and your baby well!
    Would you happen to know about how much a Allergy test is? I hear their quite expensive. If it really came down to it I would do it. We actually had the carpet steam vacuumed a few weeks ago so its pretty clean now. I have fed a few treats such as blueberries / raspberries / banana and some Wellness WellBites treats which are supposed to be healthy. I read another thread where someones Bully had red bumps as well and they applied some ointment which helped, I was going to give that a shot. I've also seen petsmart selling medicine for dogs with skin problems, I think their was a bulldog on the bottle as well. I've always wondered if those actually worked..

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@EBDR35
    Ours was $300. There was a link here at some point where you could send a hair sample to the UK for a lot cheaper - can anyone help with this?

Being frank with you, and please don't take this as being judgmental, but I really think you should take your baby to the vet. She may possibly need some antibiotics. It could be so many things, you can drive yourself crazy (like I used to, to avoid having to go to the vet) and end up buying a ton of stuff you may find out doesn't help or that she doesn't need. Better to get a vet's take on it, and go from there. I like my vet, and find he's usually right, and if he suggests I try a product, I do. I always check the internet to see if there's a price difference, but he has seemed very good so far in not marking up the meds he sells. I wouldn't go with anything you can find at the regular Pet store, sadly. Everything I need for our EB I have to get from the vet or online, except for the day to day powder, cotton pads, etc.

Do you have a vet? If not, you may want to call around and ask offices if they have experience with English Bulldogs.

I know vet's are expensive (tell me about it - our guy has had icky eyes, I took him in yesterday, and it was over $100 just for the eye tests/stain/culture and still not sure what it may be yet, but did get prescribed drops/rinse. I am not a vet and am not going to buy over the counter stuff and mess with his eyes without knowing from a professional what might be wrong, you know?) but sometimes I think in the long run, they help you keep your sanity when your baby has issues.

Putting ointment, etc, is like a bandaid (and may not work in your case) - wouldn't you rather know the cause of the breakout and then go from there?

Last edited by bulliemommi; 07-28-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

PS, I highly recommend you try a specialized shampoo for her - lots of recs here if you search. Your vet would have ideas too. I know so many people praise oatmeal shampoo but I can NOT use that on our EB due to his allergies.

PPS Our guy is white too and I have heard the babies who have all white fur tend to have more skin problems. No idea if that is true but we really have to keep in the routine to keep him from having skin issues too. He never itches though, so it worries me your baby is itching. If she scratches too much you can have secondary infections which are even more of a pain to deal with and hurty to her too.
    Last edited by bulliemommi; 07-28-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EBDR35 View Post
    Would you happen to know about how much a Allergy test is? I hear their quite expensive. If it really came down to it I would do it. We actually had the carpet steam vacuumed a few weeks ago so its pretty clean now. I have fed a few treats such as blueberries / raspberries / banana and some Wellness WellBites treats which are supposed to be healthy. I read another thread where someones Bully had red bumps as well and they applied some ointment which helped, I was going to give that a shot. I've also seen petsmart selling medicine for dogs with skin problems, I think their was a bulldog on the bottle as well. I've always wondered if those actually worked..
    well i had sarahs done and it was like 250 dollars. but you can just get the food part and thats cheaper. you will find with bullies that anything can be a trigger. i mean laundry detergent to the cleaner you used on your carpet to the good treats your feeding. if your baby is not getting better id say a vet visit is in order to make sure you dont have an infection or something else going on. i dont use oatmeal shampoo on sarah as she is allergic to oats. im not sure petsmart is the best place for dog shampoo for bullies. maybe try some hydrocortisone cream on the rash see if it helps.

Hey guys I've decided to switch over to Raw feeding after doing some research. Also will be getting the allergy panel done when i go to the vet.

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

That is great @EBDR35
    If you can find out what's going on from the vet now (only because I see the rash all over and not in just one spot, you know?) and how to help her, you can avoid having to go in the future! My vet isn't very into me giving Benedryl though I know a lot of people have great results from it. He did recommend allergy shots at one point but we decided not to (saw so many people here that didn't see results from them) and our guys has been doing fine for the most part with all the other changes we made.
    Ugh, if only our babies could talk and tell us what's wrong!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads