again

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
The Abby is sick again. I rushed her to nuVet this afternoon. She's been throwing up since last night. As soon as I got her out of the car the diarrhea started. No fever, but her stomach is very tender to the touch. nuVet wanted to xray her stomach to make sure she hadn't swallowed anything. What we found took my breath away and I haven't been able to breathe since.

First, the good news is there is no obstruction.

Now, the rest... Pancreatitis has set in. We thought we'd have more time to fight that but we don't. It's here and it could kill her. I wish that was just me being paranoid or exaggerating but it's not. She's on chicken and rice for the next 2 weeks and if she throws up even once I have to rush her to the ER for a couple days of IV fluid therapy. He gave her meds for pain and something for nausea. We are increasing her subQ fluids from 150ml once a day to 100ml 4 times a day. I don't know for how long. I have to teach my mother and son how to do it. Neither of them want to, they're afraid they'll hurt her.

All of her organs are inflamed due to her almost being in season so this complicates things a lot more. Her hormones are throwing her body into a spin. We knew this could happen, not being able to spay her was a risk that could cause some other problems to pop up but we didn't expect it at the same time as her pancreas quit. We don't know if we can get a handle on this.

The xray also showed an old (healed) spinal fracture at T13/14-L1. The disks are also laying on top of each other. This doesn't seem to bother her right now, but it will in the future. If she has a future.

He asked me if I'd ever dropped her, threw her or kicked her. Are you kidding me?!?! If I ever kicked her?!?! I know he had to ask the question but did he have to be so serious about it! She hasn't so much as fallen off the piggy pillow since she's been with me. It had to have happened before she got to me. It taking everything I have to not to go to Queens and knock on every door in the borough until I find out WHO had her before me and WTF they did to her!

I fed her almost 3 hours ago. She hasn't thrown up, diarrhea seems to have stopped. She's snoring peacefully on the couch. I love how she sleeps with her face buried in the pillow :luv:

As we were coming back from nuVet this afternoon my neighbor asked me a question that I don't think I have an answer for anymore. Am I doing all of this for her? Or am I doing it for me?

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Ouch.............I can feel your pain way down here. I'm sorry for you and your baby..........I wish I could find words to help....but I don't have any. I don't know how I would deal with it anymore except lay on the floor and give her every minute of my time. And handle what ever comes next. :pray:

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
You're doing it for both of you, right now...you know her well enough to know if she's still enjoying her time with you and your family...you've been a warrior for her, learning about how to support her body's limitations...one step at a time, focus on the present moment...life happens there....will send prayers for her continued ability to rally.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
So sorry to hear sweet Abby is sick again. It's too bad he had to ask you that at such a sensitive time but I do understand. I didn't know she had an old spinal injury, poor thing. Love on your sweet girl as much as you can!! :hug: :luv: :hug:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I'm so sorry for you and Abbey!!!! Right now you are doing it for both of you and believe me you will know when the time is right. Abbey will let you know when the time has come and she has no more fight in her. I've been through that with a couple of my dogs and somehow they always let me know that it was time for them to go. All I can offer right now is :pray: :pray: :hug2:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
So sorry to hear she is sick again. Healing prayers headed you guys way

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry for little Abby,so wish there was a cure for her. You have done a great job with her and you will know when it is time for her to go. Our prayers are with her and you.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I'm so sorry. Poor little Abby! You know Abby best and you will know when she's tired of fighting. You're her angel; you have her for a reason and it is for things like this because we all know not everyone would work so hard to give her the fighting chance that you have. Aubie and I are thinking of you and Abby. :hug: Please keep us updated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Twice Bev .. you are amazing and all you have done has been for the best for ALL of you. Our fur babies have a way of letting us know when it is their time.... as long as Sweety-head has not let you know, then keep doing all you are for her.

:hug: :pray:

Keep us posted and give her kisses from me and Banks

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Another thing... don't let that neighbor make you doubt yourself. You know Abby. You'll know when it is time to let go and don't question yourself if you think its not. The worst thing is feeling that they aren't ready to give up yet, but you have to.... Abby has a chance and you have the ability, so don't give up until you know its time; don't doubt yourself!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Poor Abby and poor mama...you two have been through so much lately. Hopefully this is just a hiccup on the road to better days for Abby.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
So sorry to hear sweet Abby is sick again. It's too bad he had to ask you that at such a sensitive time but I do understand. I didn't know she had an old spinal injury, poor thing. Love on your sweet girl as much as you can!! :hug: :luv: :hug:

We didn't know she had an old injury either. We haven't done xrays on her because we didn't want to radiate her unless we had to. Today we had to so that we could rule out her swallowing something. That's how we found the fracture. My mouth fell open, I started to cry for her and this guy looks me dead in the face and asks if I'd ever kicked her?!

I hope she will let me know. For today there aren't any signs I don't think. Well, not today today. Today she is sick and sleepy. But yesterday she was playful and happy. I just hope I'm not too stubborn to see those signs.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I think you are an AMAZING bully mom and I agree with the others .. Abby will let you know.. hope you both rest peacefully tonight.. we are thinking of you:heart:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh my bev I'm sorry to read this for sure. I was hoping she was better. Just love her n love her. I don't believe you would do anything to hurt abby including keeping her here if she didn't want to be here anymore. You are a tremendous mama and we are here for you Sarah n me

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.