again

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
The Abby is sick again. I rushed her to nuVet this afternoon. She's been throwing up since last night. As soon as I got her out of the car the diarrhea started. No fever, but her stomach is very tender to the touch. nuVet wanted to xray her stomach to make sure she hadn't swallowed anything. What we found took my breath away and I haven't been able to breathe since.

First, the good news is there is no obstruction.

Now, the rest... Pancreatitis has set in. We thought we'd have more time to fight that but we don't. It's here and it could kill her. I wish that was just me being paranoid or exaggerating but it's not. She's on chicken and rice for the next 2 weeks and if she throws up even once I have to rush her to the ER for a couple days of IV fluid therapy. He gave her meds for pain and something for nausea. We are increasing her subQ fluids from 150ml once a day to 100ml 4 times a day. I don't know for how long. I have to teach my mother and son how to do it. Neither of them want to, they're afraid they'll hurt her.

All of her organs are inflamed due to her almost being in season so this complicates things a lot more. Her hormones are throwing her body into a spin. We knew this could happen, not being able to spay her was a risk that could cause some other problems to pop up but we didn't expect it at the same time as her pancreas quit. We don't know if we can get a handle on this.

The xray also showed an old (healed) spinal fracture at T13/14-L1. The disks are also laying on top of each other. This doesn't seem to bother her right now, but it will in the future. If she has a future.

He asked me if I'd ever dropped her, threw her or kicked her. Are you kidding me?!?! If I ever kicked her?!?! I know he had to ask the question but did he have to be so serious about it! She hasn't so much as fallen off the piggy pillow since she's been with me. It had to have happened before she got to me. It taking everything I have to not to go to Queens and knock on every door in the borough until I find out WHO had her before me and WTF they did to her!

I fed her almost 3 hours ago. She hasn't thrown up, diarrhea seems to have stopped. She's snoring peacefully on the couch. I love how she sleeps with her face buried in the pillow :luv:

As we were coming back from nuVet this afternoon my neighbor asked me a question that I don't think I have an answer for anymore. Am I doing all of this for her? Or am I doing it for me?

I just want to reach out and hug you. We are going through our own "torture" with Dublin and I can almost physically feel your pain and frustration. We plan on doing whatever we can for Dubbie and if and when the time comes that we can do no more, we will know and until then we can just do our best as you are. xoxo

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online