Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Let me begin by saying thank you to everyone that has given me support over the past 2 months as my dogs kept "failing" fecal tests and were being treated for Coccidia.....

Well I'm incredulous over what I learned today....last week after we failed our test for the 4th time ...my vet (whom I love) called Ohio State Vet School and gave a vet there the skinny on our situation....2 dogs with zero symptoms (ie. no diahrrea) that show Coccidia under the microscope having had 4 different courses of medication to no avail....been quarentined for 2 months as I didn't want to infect any other animals, fastiously picking up doopha before it hit the ground, and washing the grass for crying out loud....

Ohio State had me overnight doopha, food, supplements, and water samples last Wednesday....to test...with no cost to me because they were curious....

I just got a call from my vet who heard from OSU....my dogs don't have Coccidia (never had).... Under the microscope Coccidia and Bee Pollen look very similar....I give my dogs bee pollen every day as it helps with their environmental allergies and is a great antioxidant.....all this time we treated for a parasite that never existed!

Feel super guilty and relieved at the same time, my weim is still trying to put weight on because all the antiparasitic Meds caused her weight loss, Schultz is not having any ill -effects from the Meds but I hate that I medicated them for no reason....my vet is sorry too but assures me that it is out of their systems now....

Can you believe it bee pollen? Just an FYI question everything, vets and dr.s don't have all the answers ...I knew it didn't add up, they didn't have any abnormal BM's but the fecal tests my vet was viewing showed her Coccidia (she knew to consider pollen ...textbooks show tree pollen...not bee pollen) and with each medication the slides were the same.....

Well, I can let this go. Mystery solved....thanks again for all your support and encouragement!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
OMG you learn something new everyday!! I am completely dumbfounded by this! I am glad it is over but wow... All of the meds and such for nothing. I hope you get more than I am sorry because this has cost you an enormous amount of time and money. :eek:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
What a relief overall though! Great news!!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
WOW! That is crazy! I am so sorry that you and them had to go through all that for nothing, but thank you for sharing the information so others can know!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Great news that all was okay the whole time..I know how you feel with the meds. Glad there was no ill effect and they are both doing great :) This is a good lesson for others as well that are going through the same thing..I wouldnt have thought to check the other things that you were giving him...

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Wow! So glad it's over, but never would have imagined that it was all an innocent mistake. The vet school is divine for not charging you, your vet, on the other hand, owes you big time. :yes:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Wow, I learned something, and that's great news about you pups are better and never had that, but I'm with Lisa, what about all the money and time you spent, too bad your vet won't help out with that.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Yep, I agree with everyone! I think your vet owes you at least a couple of years of free care for all the testing, meds and what not that were totally unnecessary for your babies!!! Hope the weimariner starts putting on weight soon and give all those babies hugs and smooches from me.

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Thanks everyone, [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], & @Kim Sebastian n Oliver...
My vet is kind of like St. Francis of Assisi....she's old school house-call vet that comes to my house for all routine stuff and has yet to charge me anything....wanted to heal my babies first...a week ago I forced a check on her...
The vet from OSU made the comment that 8 out of 10 vets wouldn't be able to identify this properly and he's going to write an article about it so other vets can be made more aware....lots of learning happening which is always a good thing...
I'm going to write a letter to the company that I get bee pollen from so they are aware of this possibility ...other dog owners giving this supplement and it being falsely identified as Coccidia.....save someone else the ordeal....just so happy it's straightened out and my babies are ok! Woof!

L

Lucy-licious

I think you and the babies deserve some extra special treats and snuggle time...:dancing: quarantine over :dancing:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm so sorry that you had to go through all that worry. I'm really happy they finally figured it out!! Give those babies some extra treats tonight and get yourself a drink. You've all earned it :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh my wow is all I can say. I am however glad its over now and you can relax some. At least there are no real ill effects. Wow

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
What?! Poor you and poor dogs for haven gone through this! So strange! Glad they figured it out and dogs are fine!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.