Bathing Bullies

Cookie Crumbles Mum

Jun 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Cookie Crumble
Hi there .. just some advice please , how often should I bathe Miss Cookie Crumble? I tend to wash her feet every other day in just water because where we go walking is pretty muddy at the min! i noticed today that one of the webs between her toes is a little pink and the fur is matted. Cookie has a really tight corkscrewed tail and i have to be really careful not to get it wet as she ends up with a tail infection. I clean this weekly with wet wipes and make sure its dry. Any good wash products you recommend? thank you xx

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I use the Johnsons baby shampoo because then I don't need to worry if anything gets in their eyes. I also have a blueberry vanilla facial wash for their wrinkles. You can get that from Carolina Pet Pantry ... and it smells so good.

I bath mine about once every 3 weeks ... in the summer a bit more often because they seem to get dirty running around the backyard!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I bathe whole Usko when needed and it is not very often. Of course I have to wash his paws usually weekly depending on the weather. It is important to keep the toes dry. I believe that it's not good to wash your dog too often if it's not necessary cause of some skin condition.

L

Lucy-licious

I bathe whole Usko when needed and it is not very often. Of course I have to wash his paws usually weekly depending on the weather. It is important to keep the toes dry. I believe that it's not good to wash your dog too often if it's not necessary cause of some skin condition.

Same here, Lucy gets a bath when it's unavoidable....mostly I use unscented baby wipes (huggies pure) and always dry with a paper towel. Some of our members use whitch hazel in hard to get to places like tail pockets because it evaporates so no need to worry about leaving dampness behind.
When I do bath her I use a lovely oatmeal shampoo I get from Amazon, it leaves her smelling fresh and her coat so soft. You will get lots of advise about baths and cleaning here...some of our members in hotter parts of the US have to wash their babies very often.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
My Schultz loves his bath time...so I'm lucky because he likes to get dirty (maybe he gets dirty on purpose so he can get a bath...lol)....we love the Earthbath products and dermagics all-natural soaps....gentle not stripping especially since we get a bath almost 1x a week.....

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I use John Paul pet by paul mitchel in oatmeal and it comes with a conditioner as well I give Porky a bath lately about once a week because she enjoys digging for bugs n killing ferns at our friends house lol but using the conditioner as well I have noticed she has actually stopped itching n doesn't have dandruff anymore......I think every dog is different one bully may tolerate a bath everyday where as another may get extremely dry skin bathing that frequently no matter what shampoo u use! Porky has a straight tail though so I don't have to worry about her getting her butt wet but she does have "extreme" facial folds lol so I just use a damp washcloth to do her face n wrinkles!! Good luck with cookie she's gorgeous :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I used to bathe the dogs every Sunday no matter what but I've stopped that. Too much scrubbin' can rob the hair and skin of a dog's natural essential oils and that can also cause trouble for our little allergy bombs. I like to try different shampoos - based on the trouble of the moment - and this last bath, they got Duoxo Chlorhexidine PS Shampoo. (Bea has a yeast issue in her SUPER TIGHT tail pocket and I scrubbed that up good with this shampoo and it is helping) It left their fur bright and soft. I also use the plain ol' oatmeal shampoo and flea shampoo from time to time as I try NOT to put flea stuff on them if I can help it.

I've also used bath time as an activity when the weather is crappy. It's hard "mental" work for them; sitting, staying, holding still, getting in and out of the tub, etc. The reward is getting a towel dry which the LOVE LOVE LOVE. After a quick pee (regardless, they always have to go pee after tub time) they will take a nice long nap!

Here's a good excuse to get out an old pic. They both enjoy the "toweling" part the best. Here's Bea lounging in her towels and Bo getting ready to get scrubbed.

PB170001-001.jpg

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] - great pic! Bathtime buddies

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I bathe Frank if he got in something smelly or he starts getting very itchy - otherwise I try to abstain. I clean his tail pocket often with witch hazel and Bonds medicated baby powder. I also clean his face wrinkles with blueberry Facial Scrub from Carolina Pet Pantry and then touch up with witch hazel here and there if he is yeasty.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven gets a bath maybe once every two weeks. She honestly doesn't get as stinky as my yorkie. I do wipe her girlie bits and bum every day. The bum gets wiped after every poo and the girlie bits at the end of the night. I do wipe her face maybe once a day, depends again on how her face looks. I usually wash her with an oatmeal shampoo or whatever other doggie shampoo I grab. I have about ten bottles of stuff.

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I give Jackson a bath every 1 to 2 weeks. It depends on how itchy he is or if he's gotten into mud. If it rains I try to give him a bath ASAP b/c he'll smell like wet dog (even after drying him off!) for the rest of the week.

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Beef gets a bath about every 2-3 weeks. His face and feet are cleaned daily. Oh yea, he gets a good booty wipe down daily also. I have tons of doggy shampoos and conditioners but I usually end up reaching for my Chi.

OP
Cookie Crumbles Mum

Cookie Crumbles Mum

Jun 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Cookie Crumble
Thank you everyone ,- some good advice in there!the photos of your bullies see amazing and just tooo cute ! I can't believe how head over heels in love I am with miss cookie - I've always had cats and she came into our lives just at the right moment and its so good to see people just the same on ebb :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks gets a bath as needed, feet are cleaned with warm water and epsom salt every few days and I use unscented babywipes daily on folds and tail.... witch hazel once/twice a week on folds and tail

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online