paranoid new bulldog owners

kjellon

Jun 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
We are waiting to get our puppy and we keep getting more scared about temperature problems. In the summer its 30-40 degrees celcius (86-104 farenheit) . Is it just not safe at all to go outside during daytime? Can we not take her to the beach with us during the day and have her in the shadow, with plenty of water and maby a cold towel ? Is it ok to walk the dog in the shadow in daytime or do we have to wait until it gets colder in the evening ?
Thank you

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Since I live in the Pacific NW, it's rare that I am concerned about a heat wave. (I wish!) We have lots of folks from HOT HOT HOT places that can help you far better than I can. What I can tell you though, based on my experience, is this:
Dogs can and do get sunburns.
Each dog is different when it comes to tolerance of high temperatures.
You cannot let them decide for themselves - they often do not make good choices and over heating can result in death. (But you knew that)
Hang on! We have lots of folks that can help you.
Welcome and Congrats on your new family member!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Welcome and congrats on the new family member! I'm from Finland and I had now idea that it gets so hot in Island! Maximum temperature that we've ever got is 35C and that doesn't happen every year and when it does it's only for a day or two. Anyway when it gets hotter than 25C we walk our Usko in the mornings and in the evenings. And I always carry a bottle of water with me. During the day it's only around the block for the business.
Just this weekend when we had a midsummer night festival, it was around 23C and went for a picnic in the park. We took along a cooling mat, plenty of water and kept him in the shade most of the time and he was fine. Puppys get dehydrated easier than adults and I would be extra careful. Like Vicaroo1000 said every dog is different, but you don't want to learn "the hard way".

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
One more thing. Foot pads can get burned. If it's too hot for you to put your bare feet on the ground it's too hot for dogs too!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
We have the same temps here in the summer and that is too hot to be out during the day. Now the beach should be cooler tho or no? Here our beaches are much cooler than where I live so if a cooler day or later in the day a beach would be ok. Not in the middle of a hot day tho at all. My pups go out to play early in the morning before the heat sets in mostly. I would save your walks for early morning or late at night when the temps are much cooler.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We live where it is hot and we only let them outside to do their business and right back in. We do not walk them during the day, not until it cools off in the evening, and then not very far. There are cool vest you can get to help keep them cool when you are out at the beach, but I would watch them closely. To me it's not worth the risk.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We live where it is hot and we only let them outside to do their business and right back in. We do not walk them during the day, not until it cools off in the evening, and then not very far. There are cool vest you can get to help keep them cool when you are out at the beach, but I would watch them closely. To me it's not worth the risk.

I TOTALLY agree ... summers in NE Ohio are hot and can get VERY humid. They get let out to go to the toilet, and then straight back in .... which they hate. They have no awareness how dangerous the heat can be to them and all insist on sunbathing at every opportunity .... or cooking as I like to call it!!!! :blink:

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Welcome to EBN! I was actually just in a heat wave here in the North East and it got HOT! For three days it was about 100 degrees! Only time we brought them out was to use the bathroom, they were bored those 3 days but too hot for them! One day we did bring them down to my family's Cape Cod house and we brought them to the lake later in the evening but it was still hot so we just brought them in the lake and right back to the house... it did cool them off but we only had them outside for about 15 minutes, any longer and they would have been too hot. And also what [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] said, they do get sunburned! Gio has an all white face so the top of his head gets red fast if he is in the sun too long! I do use sunscreen meant for baby's (sensitive skin) on his forehead if he is going to be in the sun. Have fun with your new baby, you must be so excited!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.