Threw up yesterday and now the squishies...advice please

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Last week I picked up a new bag of food (Merricks's B4 Grain, her normal food) but I changed the flavor. She doesn't do well with the salmon, but does well with their chicken. This time I got a bag of the Buffalo/Chicken flavor. I noticed her poo has been a bit softer these last couple of days and she isn't snarfing the food down as she would, she is now eating, leaving some behind and then coming back later to eat more. Water is down all day, especially with this nasty heat. Anyhow, yesterday my daughter told me she threw up. I told her to watch her and let me know if they saw any change in her. Nothing, when I got home she was good to go. Pottying normal, no more throw up. This morning I took her out and she pooed two large piles that were like soft serve ice cream (sorry, hope I haven't turned you off of ice cream :barf:). Maybe half an hour later hubby tells me she pottied in the house, I found two more soft piles. My little guy just called me to say she pooed squishy and somewhat slimey. Any thoughts. I am at work now, I figure I will get some canned pumpkin later when I get home and give her a table spoon or two.

Advice and thoughts please.

Happy Friday!!!

BulldogNBoxers

Jun 21, 2012
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Mix the food she was used to in with the new stuff. That is the best way to "ease" their system into something different. You can also give her either plain yogurt or an acid reducer pill to help with her tummy ache then boil some chicken and rice for her. Hope this helps.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mix the food she was used to in with the new stuff. That is the best way to "ease" their system into something different. You can also give her either plain yogurt or an acid reducer pill to help with her tummy ache then boil some chicken and rice for her. Hope this helps.

Thing is that it's not really new food, just a new flavor and she has been eating it for almost a week now. She would love her some chicken and rice..lol. God knows she would probably refuse to eat her regular food afterwards. Thanks.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=4054]Bizzymammabee[/MENTION] perhaps the bag of food you got its bad.Maybe its old. Did you gradually introduce this food? Maybe his tummy could not handle the sudden change. I would put her on a bland diet and keep an eye on her.

Always check the expiration date on the bag!!!!!

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Bizzymommabee perhaps the bag of food you got its bad.Maybe its old. Did you gradually introduce this food? Maybe his tummy could not handle the sudden change. I would put her on a bland diet and keep an eye on her.

Always check the expiration date on the bag!!!!!

Definitely checked the bag. This place I buy from is very popular in the neighborhood and stock moves quickly. My other dog is eating the same food, matter of fact they eat out of the same bowl every day. She is fine, just Raven has the squishies. I feel so bad for her. I hate an upset tummy.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Oh good [MENTION=4054]Bizzymammabee[/MENTION] ! I went to purchase a bag of Acana Pacifica one time and at the register looked at the date and it was expired!!! Thank God I looked!

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh good @Bizzymammabee ! I went to purchase a bag of Acana Pacifica one time and at the register looked at the date and it was expired!!! Thank God I looked!

Thank god you noticed it. This place I buy from carries a lot of the better foods. They do a lot of business and the turn over in there is really good. When things are getting close to expire they donate it so it can be used and not actually expire.

I am hoping she feels better. I guess the upside is that she is playing and acting normal.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Are you certain the flavors are interchangeable? Not all foods are formulated for rotating flavors. If not..then it's like an entirely new food!!

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]...crackers. How can I tell that? I know her poo got a bit squisy once I changed it to the buffalo/chicken flavor.

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Even though it's the same brand, sometimes changing flavors can have the same effect as switching brands. We went through that with Oliver (switching from Salmon flavor to Chicken of the same brand). It's safe that no matter what the brand, if you're switching even just the flavors, to do a slow introduction by mixing the old and new together. (Oliver does GREAT with our brand's Salmon yet cannot tolerate their Chicken)

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I guess for a bit I will be adding some steamed rice to her bowl to get her tummy settled. I am just hoping she doesn't have some sort of bug since she puked yesterday. Knowing this little mischief maker she might have eaten something she shouldn't have as well.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@JAKEISGREAT...crackers. How can I tell that? I know her poo got a bit squisy once I changed it to the buffalo/chicken flavor.

Im certain it would say somewhere on bag or maybe check company website. I'll tag @cowsmom and she might know. Unless its advertised as such..I would assume the flavors are NOT interchangeable. I bet that's her problem. I always take about 10 days minimum to transition to a new food. 1/4 cup at a time..each step over a two to three day schedule. Fromm is one food whose flavors are interchangeable. But there aren't many. You should get some canned pumpkin..NOT the pie filling..but 100% canned pumpkin. Put a spoonful in her food every feeding and it will help quickly to firm up her poo! Then wait a few days and slowly transition to food you'd like to try. :D

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]...thanks. I am going to pick up the pumpkin. I looked at their site and didn't see any mention of the interchangeable like I did with the Fromm. I just checked in with the kids and they said her tummy has been under control since. I will see when I take her home and feed her. Definitely adding the pumpking tonight.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4054]Bizzymammabee[/MENTION] if its both merrick before grain then their should not be a problem interchanging the food but with bullies and their sensitive tummies its hard to tell how they will react. now your bully could have a sensitivity to chicken. sarah does perfect with beef but give her to much chicken and she gets soft poo. no other symptoms just diarrhea from it. maybe add some rice for a few days and see if it clears up if not chicken might not be for her. keep us updated.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Are you certain the flavors are interchangeable? Not all foods are formulated for rotating flavors. If not..then it's like an entirely new food!!

She's right. Pet food companies claim this inter-changability (word?) but I don't think it's that simple. Our precious, delicate little flower of a dog has issues with most other things....food switching absolutely makes sense to me. Even inside the same "family", I do a slow switch here and it's still an occasion to celebrate the soft serve poo. *shrugs* Whatchagonnado?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online