cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Isn't it funny how we bulldog parents just know when our baby is not himself or herself?

This a.m. I noticed that Finn was a little more quiet than usual. After he ate his breakfast , and finished everything, he just retreated back to bed and lay there. Before I left for work I gave both of them a snack and usually Finn will snatch the snack quite forcefully from my hand as I feed it to him. This time tho, he was so gentle and slow about taking the snack. He did eat it, but just his mannerism was off.

Tonight was the same thing; when i fed him his apple slices he could barely chew on it and would just spit it out. Very unlike previous day's behavior when he again would enthusiastically snatch up his share of apple.

I'm wondering if there's something wrong w/his teeth, or if he bit his tongue? I tried to look into his mouth and felt around in there but couldn't see anything unusual. He played tonight and still fought w/Tate, tho not as vigorously as usual. He wouldn't be teething still would he? he's almost 16mos old. Right now he's just laying here on the couch, napping. He's going potty normally, eating his two meals a day fine. Just seems a little "off" right now.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I too notice that sometime one of mine doesn't seem to be themselves. Sometimes I can figure it out, other times............well I wish they would just tell me. But, they don't and they do come around in a day or two. Like us, they too have good and bad days. A good bully parent always picks up on this behavior. We try to find out what it is, even though not always successful.
you are a Good mum

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hopefully everything's ok and he's simply having one of those days. I'd continue to watch him and see how he is tomorrow. :hug:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awww Henny...these Guys sure make us worry don't they? But it's a small price to pay. I agree with just watching him. If he's eating and drinking it does seem more emotional than physical. Sherry is sooo right...you are a wonderful mom! :D

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You're so right there, we do notice thing like that! But if you take him to the vet now he/she will probably just say that when eating and drinking and pooping...where to start examining??? Hope he will be himself soon!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I've noticed Frank having "off" days too and would just watch him carefully. Hopefully it is just teenage angst or something and Finn is back to his normal self soon! And, just to reinforce what everyone else said, you are a wonderful bullie mom!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea was a few months old -- maybe six? -- and had one of these episodes. She didn't eat her breakfast (unheard of!) and was acting odd to me. It's a weekend and Dr. Terry Beatty was not open. Off to the emergency vet we went. Tests and an examination by a very lovely old vet. Nothing. There's nothing wrong with Bea. Nothing. He said, "You're a good mom." And patted my hand. That's what I got for $350 bucks on a Sunday morning.

My point? Sure. There's a point here. ha ha Wait it out. Everyone -- even our pups -- have "off days". If they're drinking, pooping and peeing and aren't in pain, I wait now. Unemployment forces such mature decisions apparently. ha ha ha

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I wonder if it has to do with the weather, Caleb has been off for the past three days also. Hugs to you and Finn. I would just watch him

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It's wonderful that we know our guys so well! Give Finn a good look in his mouth to make sure he doesn't have an abcess on his gums from chewing a bone or something (Wilson had one recently that I just happened to notice). Another thing I noticed was he wasn't jumping up on the furniture and that lead to me to take him to the vet and I found out he had a pulled groin. He's back to normal after 10 days of muscle relaxers. Keep a close eye on him and take him to the vet if he's not better in the next couple of days (or of course if he gets worse).

Give him a big kiss!!!

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I notice Tonka has these "off" days as well. He will stay in his kennel when I get home or lumber over slowly and not in an excited manner when usually, he is wiggling like crazy and excited. On these days he will often choose to sleep or relax in his kennel rather than stay near us in the living room which I always find odd too. He seems more tired and less playful some days more than others. He usually always bounces back and more than makes up for it the following day or so.

Sometimes I do find a cause though....like when I finally notice Tonka has been scratching at his face from the allergies and his eye will look a little pink and I realize he has probably poked it a little while scratching. He will immediately act very "poor" and will want to be babied by me! The funny thing is he will act playful then with my boyfriend and as soon as I come over to him he will act like a poor baby again. They are such funny dogs that way. I think sometimes they like to milk it and get some extra attention and some days I think they just like their space. I hope it turns out to be nothing/just a couple off days!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
How is Finn today? Back to his usual self? I am wodering if it's heat related. Raven is acting fairly normal, but she threw up yesterday and now has the squishies today.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Just wanted to say first that everyone here is really awesome--thanku for your replies and suppport.:hug:
You know how it is, whenever our bullies show any sign of being "not himself/herself", we get all wiggy? well, that's what i'm sorta going thru right now.

I noticed, and i don't know if it's my imagination, but Finn's face looks "lopsided". His right side is droopier than the other and he's also drooling more on that side. Now Finn never drools so this is unusual to me. Tate on the other hand is a drooly-bug, but Finn, never drools! He's still a little slower than usual. He usually licks everything including my face when i come up real close to him and for the last 24hrs, he hasn't been doing this.

He's still eating normal, poops fine. He may be a little grumpier towards Tate too...seems to growl more at him and doesn't like him near him. With me near him, he is fine tho and seems to enjoy me cuddling with him, which is pretty normal.

I'm planning to take him to the vet tomorrow, will call the office today. I'm just thinking maybe he does have something going on w/his teeth or gums. Like Jeannie mentioned, maybe an abscess?

Tomorrow will be so hectic b/c i have a get together at my house in late afternoon, so i'm trying to prep for that. Hopefully the vet can see Finn in the morning.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well hope Finn feels better soon, hope it's nothing too serious.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm going to take Finn in tomorrow for an 8:30am appt. w/the vet. I just hate seeing my naughty boy being so docile and sweet and gentle...it's way too unusual for him!!!

fingers crossed that he will be okay. Thanks!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Good, I hope they find what you suspect and he can get back to his bouncy self again.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online