Always something... Paw issues... Tear stains...

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
There seems to be always some sort of health issues with my 2 pups. Last month it was Chelsea's paws. During her annual vet checkup the vet noticed how irritated and prescribed her 2 weeks of antibiotics (Cephaiexin 500mg twice daily) and Chlorhexidine pads. It was a nightmare to get her to take the antibiotic because she is so fussy and we ended up having to break the capsule, mix it with pb, and add in cheese or hotdog chunks (and hope that she ate enough food before it so she doesn't throw it up).

This month it is Chuy's tear stains - the skin got really irritated. So he got prescribed the same antibiotic as Chelsea and it is easier to give it to him but he still has an upset tummy from it. He has a Chlorhexidine shampoo that we have to apply to his stains for 5 minutes, wash out completely, and pat dry (and not get it in his eyes). Once it is cleared up then we have to use a special prescription ear cleaner on his stains because it will prevent irritation.

I really hope that we can keep their skin allergies under control now and don't need to keep taking them to the vet. Just wanted to share since I have asked questions about the two issues in the past. The only thing I would do differently is ask the vet for a different antibiotic since this one is so harsh on the pups (but Chelsea and Chuy do act like I'm poisoning them and beating them when they get their monthly heartgard and frontline so they are big babies).

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
A food change may help with tear stains and paw problems,lay off the dairy as dairy can be a big culprit in yeast issues and will cause paw and tear stain problems,rethink the food you are feeding also a good probiotic may help also antibiotics may clear the symptoms but they will return if these problems are feed related,karen

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Awww. I'm sorry you and your pups are going thru this [MENTION=3100]wautersa[/MENTION]. How did they get irritated? Bo's little face was looking just awful yesterday but we spent the entire day outside in the sunshine and grass (the culprit - I think). Keeping them cooped up isn't an option either. It's frustrating. I'm trying very hard NOT to overwipe them as to cause any additional problems....but it's hard NOT to address these things on them. A habit now.

I can imagine trying to keep shampoo on Bo's face for five minutes and then rinsing. What a nightmare that must be. Oh man....I feel for you!

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Cephalexin is a common antibiotic that has been prescribed for Maximus most of the time. It's not a problem for me getting the pills in him because I feed him Nature's Variety Instinct RAW medallions, and the pills/capsules go in the medallions. With Maximus, Food had nothing to do with it, after I had already spent months and months switching foods, thinking he had food allergies, than had blood allergy testing done, only to find out he is not allergic to any type of food ----- finally,
a Dermatologist Veternarian stated Maximus has Atopic (Atopy) dermatitis, which is inherited, hence his red, raw, irritated wrinkles, and his cysts between his toes,
and his red, raw underpads on his paws are all an effect of Atopic dermatitis or what is more commonly referred to as Atopy in dogs.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Grain Free food + Filtered water = BIG HELP with Tear Stains ! :) Good Luck

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow washing with chlorahexidine shampoo and letting it sit for 5 mins then let dry???? Yikes!!! Have you ever tried Malacetic Ultra? No need to wash or dry.... Works wonders on tear stains and irritation.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
wautersa

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] - they get fed Fromm 4 star line mostly the grain-free ones but sometimes I switch it up with the whitefish and potatoes so that they don't start to have an issue with grain. They rarely consume any dairy - maybe a little bit of plain greek yogurt or the smallest bit of cheese for training treats. Since the issues have only been in summer (for the most part) I think it has more to do with the outdoors than their food.

[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] - The vet thinks that it is the grass that is causing allergies and such. The vet suggested that I wipe Chelsea's paws every time she goes outside - she likes to kick up the grass with her back paws and those where the ones with more irritation. With Chuy, the vet thought that being outside more caused his eyes to water more with his allergies. We tried Angel Eyes, apple vinegar, ... to clear up his stains but the ear cleaner the vet prescribed is suppose to help once his skin isn't irritated. It is suppose to kill yeast or something that forms - sorry I was paying more attention to the 3 things that the vet prescribed him and when/how he was suppose to get them.

[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] - I was feeding Chuy half Nature's Variety Raw and half Fromm for 2 weeks to see if that would improve his stains (since everyone always says that if they have stains you need to feed them better food) but I didn't see any improvement (I know I should have tried it longer but I hate touching raw meat and I gagged when he gave him raw food kisses after eating). I was planning on looking into an allergy test for the pups so I will for sure just look for a blood test (I was thinking of the allergy skin test I had as a child and didn't want to traumatize the pups like that so I was putting it off until they had more serious issues - prolly should have googled it). And thanks for reminding me about the raw food - I will use that to make sure Chuy eats enough before he gets his antibiotic. I usually call him a hungry hungry hippo since he is such a pig with food but I can barely get him to eat (Chelsea is even stealing his food, which is the complete opposite of what normally happens - don't worry I make sure each one gets their correct daily amount).

OP
wautersa

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] - they only get filtered water in their stainless steel bowl & mostly grain-free food. It has helped a lot - they no longer get much discoloration around their mouths (from being sloopy drinkers - we try to wipe their face after they drink but sometimes miss it).

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - I will have to look into that. Currently I hold Chuy while Matt applies the shampoo, then I hold him for the 5 minutes and give him kisses, and keep holding him while it gets washed out.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Grain Free food + Filtered water = BIG HELP with Tear Stains ! :) Good Luck

This may be a dumb question, but where does one get "Filtered Water" ? I do have a BRITTA Pitcher. I could use that, but other than that I don't know how to access filtered water. And, what does the Filtered Water do for the dogs ???

Tear Stains? What are they and where are they on a dog ? (Also a dumb question I'm sure, but I normally equate tear stains with stains under the eyes, and not in the wrinkles).

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Tears run down the face creating tear stains they can become infected if not wiped but then again excessive wiping can cause its own problems,I never had a problem with tear stains on my bulldog my chi however does get wet eyes I've been wiping with cold tea and that has made all the difference,karen

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Oh wow! @karenben , I didnt know dairy was bad for bullies!??
Not all dogs have a problem with dairy but most do,I've found that dairy can contribute to yeast problems that's why I don't like feeding it,plus my dog was allergic to cheese and all other dairy,karen

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
This may be a dumb question, but where does one get "Filtered Water" ? I do have a BRITTA Pitcher. I could use that, but other than that I don't know how to access filtered water. And, what does the Filtered Water do for the dogs ???

Tear Stains? What are they and where are they on a dog ? (Also a dumb question I'm sure, but I normally equate tear stains with stains under the eyes, and not in the wrinkles).

if you use your Britta Pitcher, to fill your dogs bowls, then that would be considered 'Filtered Water' any type of filtration system helps removes the particles, (especially the IRON, in water - ever see a brown ring around the toilet or bathtub? usually caused by Iron)

Tear stains, where the tears leave the eyes, and run down the face, if you had an issue with tear stains you would know it. :)

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I only have a problem with the (L) main face wrinkle, it's red, raw, irritated and impossible to heal. I've tried everything and nothing works. It could be caused by his Entropion in the (L) eye ...... he's having Entropion surgery on July 3rd.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.